Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Dry boxing?
dwoodward 12:39 PM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
Putting them in the fridge has crossed my mind, I'm a little afraid of them picking up weird flavors though. I'm also a bit afraid of just using dessicant gel because I don't want to turn them into kindling.

So far I'm on the fence about it but considering a 50% or so humi.
If you can keep a humi at 50% in your environment, that would be the best way, but I can say it's probably going to be pretty tough... Does any company make 50% beads? You need something that can remove RH from the air.
[Reply]
oooo35980 12:43 PM 03-16-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
If you can keep a humi at 50% in your environment, that would be the best way, but I can say it's probably going to be pretty tough... Does any company make 50% beads? You need something that can remove RH from the air.
I know the Shilala beads are programable. I don't know how well they'd hold that low RH though.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 12:56 PM 03-16-2012
I believe Cigarmony also offers lower humidity beads that are for guitars and photographs. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:48 PM 03-16-2012
I know the Shilala beads are programable. I don't know how well they'd hold that low RH though.
HCM beads can bet set to 50% RH. As the RH creeps up over time they can be reset. It will take a bit of time in your refrigerator to reset them.
[Reply]
oooo35980 03:00 PM 03-16-2012
So this is my latest awful idea, I'm going to get a Tupperware, put in some baking soda, put a hygrometer in the Tupperware and stick the thing it the fridge, when the humidity stabilizes I'll put a cigar in it and pop the lid on. Then I'll take it out of the fridge and as long as it's air tight I should have a nice little dry box until I open the lid. The baking soda is to absorb funky fridge smells.

I want to try this first because I don't want to go out and build a low RH box for Hawaii when I'm leaving here in April anyway.
[Reply]
dwoodward 03:20 PM 03-16-2012
So this is my latest awful idea, I'm going to get a Tupperware, put in some baking soda, put a hygrometer in the Tupperware and stick the thing it the fridge, when the humidity stabilizes I'll put a cigar in it and pop the lid on. Then I'll take it out of the fridge and as long as it's air tight I should have a nice little dry box until I open the lid. The baking soda is to absorb funky fridge smells.

I want to try this first because I don't want to go out and build a low RH box for Hawaii when I'm leaving here in April anyway.
If your tupperware seals, there should be no need for the baking soda. It won't get any "funky fridge" smells in a sealed environment.
[Reply]
oooo35980 03:22 PM 03-16-2012
If your tupperware seals, there should be no need for the baking soda. It won't get any "funky fridge" smells in a sealed environment.
Better safe than sorry I always say, bakng soda is cheap anyways and I'm thinking it might even help to regulate the RH.
[Reply]
CigarNut 03:46 PM 03-16-2012
Baking soda will not help you with RH. It probably won't hurt anything but I don't think it will help either...
[Reply]
thecatch83 06:43 PM 03-16-2012
I would not use baking soda......who knows how that would change the flavors!
[Reply]
oooo35980 06:53 PM 03-16-2012
I'm not actually putting it in the baking soda.. Baking soda just absorbs smells. I'm trying it with a black market, the wife bought me 2 and the first one was unsmokeable, so seeing what happens. If it screws with it not like it's a huge loss.
[Reply]
dwoodward 09:53 PM 03-16-2012
I'm not actually putting it in the baking soda.. Baking soda just absorbs smells. I'm trying it with a black market, the wife bought me 2 and the first one was unsmokeable, so seeing what happens. If it screws with it not like it's a huge loss.
I think the thing we are getting at is Baking soda absorbs smells, cigars have oils in the wrapper that have their own unique smells, I imagine the baking soda might suck that right out of the cigar.

I wouldn't do it... But it's your call.
[Reply]
thecatch83 10:24 PM 03-16-2012
I think the thing we are getting at is Baking soda absorbs smells, cigars have oils in the wrapper that have their own unique smells, I imagine the baking soda might suck that right out of the cigar.

I wouldn't do it... But it's your call.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up