Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>RH problems?
smitty81 07:38 AM 02-22-2012
So I've had my humi for about 2 weeks now. I kept two bowls of distilled water in there. Siliconed the **** outta the glass..................

Seems the best I can achieve is %70 RH (if my digi hyg is correct)

does this sound right?

It just seems like its still leaking somewhere to me.

I got it up to 65%, thought it was good, threw sticks in with 65% beads and my rh dropped to 60%.

My sticks dried out and got hard and crunchy.

I immediatle removed them and put them in a zip loc bag.

It's sitting at %70 after more silicone and sitting for two days with water.

Im on the verge of returning this humi.
[Reply]
chaase321 07:44 AM 02-22-2012
Sorry for your troubles Josh. I don't think your sticks would dry out that fast at anywhere from 60% to 70% humidity...maybe the sticks were too dry before you put them in, hopefully they weren't the ones i sent, they should have been right at 67% when they left.

Anyway, I have two pieces of advice...
1.) put the sticks in tupperware and really give the humi time to season...be patient, I know it is difficult, was for me too!
2.) if you really think it is the humi, send it back...take the money to wallyworld and get a cooler. I just reorganized (i.e. play cigar tetris) mine (a 48 qt, or maybe 46qt) yesterday and can barely fit anymore in (btw...i joined the asylum in October last year!!!) Those humi's will fill up fast bro :-)

Maybe someone else will have a better idea for you, but you if you are truly tired of the hassle you have my advice :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:51 AM 02-22-2012
Cole is right -- your sticks won't dry out that fast. Also, as he said you need to be patient.

Even in a well-sealed humidor it is not uncommon for the RH to change after adding or removing sticks.

Two question: how fast does the RH in your empty humidor drop after you take the water dish out? Where does it bottom out say after 24 hours empty?
[Reply]
pnoon 07:52 AM 02-22-2012
Patience is key.
It is normal for RH to drop when cgars are added. The cigars will absorb moisture.
Also, 60% RH would not make the cigars dry. Many here PREFER their RH to be in the 62-65% range.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
smitty81 07:56 AM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by chaase321:
Sorry for your troubles Josh. I don't think your sticks would dry out that fast at anywhere from 60% to 70% humidity...maybe the sticks were too dry before you put them in, hopefully they weren't the ones i sent, they should have been right at 67% when they left.

Anyway, I have two pieces of advice...
1.) put the sticks in tupperware and really give the humi time to season...be patient, I know it is difficult, was for me too!
2.) if you really think it is the humi, send it back...take the money to wallyworld and get a cooler. I just reorganized (i.e. play cigar tetris) mine (a 48 qt, or maybe 46qt) yesterday and can barely fit anymore in (btw...i joined the asylum in October last year!!!) Those humi's will fill up fast bro :-)

Maybe someone else will have a better idea for you, but you if you are truly tired of the hassle you have my advice :-)
Your sticks and more that were at 65-70% were put in there.
Don't worry, they wernt in there long, I've been monitering it everyday. I took them out asap and put them in a baggie, they are doing good now. :-)

As far as the humi, It's been seasoning for over two weeks.............
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 07:56 AM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:
(if my digi hyg is correct)
Do yourself a favor and buy a hygrometer calibration kit so you can be certain about your RH readings. They are relatively inexpensive and well worth the peace of mind.
[Reply]
smitty81 07:59 AM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Cole is right -- your sticks won't dry out that fast. Also, as he said you need to be patient.

Even in a well-sealed humidor it is not uncommon for the RH to change after adding or removing sticks.

Two question: how fast does the RH in your empty humidor drop after you take the water dish out? Where does it bottom out say after 24 hours empty?
dunno, that would be a big step back in my current seasoning process would it not?
[Reply]
smitty81 08:00 AM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
Do yourself a favor and buy a hygrometer calibration kit so you can be certain about your RH readings. They are relatively inexpensive and well worth the peace of mind.
I did, it should be here soon.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:08 AM 02-22-2012
dunno, that would be a big step back in my current seasoning process would it not?
Not necessarily. In fact, it might help you determine if there is even a problem...
[Reply]
chippewastud79 08:19 AM 02-22-2012
2 weeks is too short of a time to make sticks 'crunchy' in a ziploc bag, let alone an 'underhumidified' humidor.

If you get it to 70%, how much higher do you want it to get?

60% is not too low. Many will have humidors that hover in the 60-65% range and prefer it as such.

You admit that your hygrometer may not even be properly calibrated, so until you know how far off it is, you really can't get a whole lot of help.

Just relax, cigars are relatively forgiving with humidity swings. :-)
[Reply]
smitty81 08:37 AM 02-22-2012
Sending it back. Got a bigger and nicer one with no glass.
http://www.thompsoncigar.com/product...OUNT/81374.uts
[Reply]
14holestogie 08:53 AM 02-22-2012
One hour from asking for help and ideas to returning it? :-)

No miracle cure so let's start over. :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 09:02 AM 02-22-2012
Sending it back. Got a bigger and nicer one with no glass.
http://www.thompsoncigar.com/product...OUNT/81374.uts
Couple issues:

You asked for some advice on how to fix your 'problem', didn't heed much of it, and decided it was time to start over.
You are sending back a humidor you modified.
You don't even know if your hygrometer is properly calibrated.
Your humidor, in theory, held humidity at 70% and dropped to only 60% when you added the cigars.
You ordered a humidor from one of the less liked vendors, Thompsons. Good luck getting off that mailing/phone/email list.
The humidor you order may not be nicer than the one you had given that I have never seen or heard of anyone with a similar humidor.

I think you are being a bit overly ambitious. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:04 AM 02-22-2012
It is clear that he is trying to rush through a process that cannot be rushed...
[Reply]
14holestogie 09:20 AM 02-22-2012
I concur. A new humi with none of the other issues resolved will very likely net similar results.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:28 AM 02-22-2012
I'd spend an extra few bucks on a savoy or craftsmans bench, personally.

I would think that 2 weeks would be enough time to season it.
[Reply]
smitty81 09:36 AM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
I'd spend an extra few bucks on a savoy or craftsmans bench, personally.

I would think that 2 weeks would be enough time to season it.
I agree
[Reply]
smitty81 09:38 AM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Couple issues:

You asked for some advice on how to fix your 'problem', didn't heed much of it, and decided it was time to start over.
You are sending back a humidor you modified.
You don't even know if your hygrometer is properly calibrated.
Your humidor, in theory, held humidity at 70% and dropped to only 60% when you added the cigars.
You ordered a humidor from one of the less liked vendors, Thompsons. Good luck getting off that mailing/phone/email list.
The humidor you order may not be nicer than the one you had given that I have never seen or heard of anyone with a similar humidor.

I think you are being a bit overly ambitious. :-)
Having a bad day?

Your being an ass.

Wasnt asking how to fix it, was wondering if it was normal for the RH to drop that much. I was just giving some background info in what I have done. Go troll someone elses thread.
[Reply]
pektel 09:47 AM 02-22-2012
I see it as him pointing out the issue may not be the humidor. Everyone has been very helpful with their advice, and not much of it was taken seriously. That could be taken as insulting by some people if they are putting forth time and effort to help you out with your problem.
[Reply]
smitty81 09:50 AM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by pektel:
I see it as him pointing out the issue may not be the humidor. Everyone has been very helpful with their advice, and not much of it was taken seriously. That could be taken as insulting by some people if they are putting forth time and effort to help you out with your problem.

Most have been very helpful. Most of what he said was not helpful.
Telling me I shouldn't have bought it there and this and that..........

Wasnt even related to my question at hand.:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up