Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>My humidor smells like *&#@
fencefixer 10:04 AM 02-12-2012
I'll try the baking soda method first and let you know..

ACID - the rebirth of cigars and death of humidors :-):-):-)
[Reply]
neoflex 10:09 AM 02-12-2012
As others said try the Baking Soda and if it doesn't work just change that humidors duty to Flavored Cigars as I guarantee if you spend enough time here a 40ct would only last you a month or two anyway. Trust me!:-) Find yourself a nice large humidor and have that one be strictly for non-flavored cigars. If you end of spending a lot of time here think about what size humidor you will realistically need and than times that by 4 and you should be fine for at least 6 more months.:-)
I have been working at a local B&M part time a night or two a week and the problem you ran into is the exact same reason why when I have someone buying flavored cigars I always ask them if they also smoke non flavored cigars. If they answer "Yes" than I always mention that they should consider storing their flavored cigars outside of the humidor that they store their non flavored unless of course they don't mind their non flavored cigars tasting like their flavored collection. Most guys say they already do that while others thank me as they never realized or gave it any thought. The guys who never realized it I usually offer a water pillow to so they can at least move the flavored stuff to a big zip-lock or Tupperware.
[Reply]
dwoodward 10:20 AM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by neoflex:
If you end of spending a lot of time here think about what size humidor you will realistically need and than times that by 4 and you should be fine for at least 6 more months.:-)
This. You will find soon you have some favorites and 5 packs after 5 packs you buy, you'll wanna eventually start getting boxes, and that's where storage really becomes an impact. With the cost of most humidors, I almost would suggest just getting a Wine cooler or Igloo cooler right away lol. Save yourself the money in the future.
[Reply]
fencefixer 11:05 AM 02-12-2012
I have the Treasure Dome already but I have a load of cigars coming so I was hoping to have something ready because I'm pretty sure it'll be overflowing. If all else fails I'll make a tupperdor. I don't think I'll be able to fit another 80 cigars in here:

[Reply]
dwoodward 11:06 AM 02-12-2012
Lol fencefixer... I think it's time to get some tupperware out and get on the ball on getting a cooler lol.
[Reply]
fencefixer 11:12 AM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Lol fencefixer... I think it's time to get some tupperware out and get on the ball on getting a cooler lol.
You guys are bad influence. :-) Already checking craigslist for some old wine coolers...
[Reply]
SNKBYT 11:12 AM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by maninblack:
ACID's.....nuff said. Burn it and chalk it up to lesson learned.

:-):-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:16 AM 02-12-2012
Placed Acids in as 20 count desktop when I first got seriously into cigars a few years ago...tried everything, baking soda, scrubbing...still smells of it. Burn it and chalk it up to experience.
[Reply]
shilala 11:19 AM 02-12-2012
Ya know what, I just thought of this. It's a trick I used for years when I had rental properties, it'd take smell out of ANYTHING.
I used it to destink whole apartments, especially smoker's apartments.
Ammonia.
I'd get a gallon, set it out in dishes, close the place up, come back in a week, and every smell was gone.
With your humi, if baking soda or bleach solution don't work, get a dish of ammonia and sit it in a big green garbage bag. Open the humi up and sit it in there, too. Tie it off and come back in a week or two.
I'd really, honestly be shocked if that didn't work.
Don't use lemon ammonia, just regular ammonia. :-)
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 11:22 AM 02-12-2012
Keep it full of infused sticks and use it just for that purpose.....then when the ladies come over you're in great shape! :-)
[Reply]
Remo 11:33 AM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy:
Keep it full of infused sticks and use it just for that purpose.....then when the ladies come over you're in great shape! :-)
You, Shane and Taki heading over there? Llr
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 11:36 AM 02-12-2012
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0:
You, Shane and Taki heading over there? Llr
On second thought I have a better idea....send the whole thing infused sticks and all right to the front door of Mike's house! I hear those things are right up his ally! :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 11:54 AM 02-12-2012
Just keep it for other infused sticks. Those humis are cheap enough not to worry about trying to clean it- just get another or a tupperdor or a coolerdor. I love my cheap, roomy coolerdors!
[Reply]
oooo35980 04:49 PM 02-12-2012
I feel for you, my wife loves flavored cigars and keeps wanting to buy them when I'm at the tobacco shop, I only let her get one or 2 because I'm not a fan of flavored cigars and I don't want her stuff stinking up my good ones. I finally bit the bullet and bought a second Humi since mine was getting full anyways, she can put her Acids and whatever else she likes in my old one once I get the new one seasoned up.
[Reply]
Malazan 07:27 PM 02-25-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
I feel for you, my wife loves flavored cigars and keeps wanting to buy them when I'm at the tobacco shop, I only let her get one or 2 because I'm not a fan of flavored cigars and I don't want her stuff stinking up my good ones. I finally bit the bullet and bought a second Humi since mine was getting full anyways, she can put her Acids and whatever else she likes in my old one once I get the new one seasoned up.
:-)

I'm starting to have the same problem, my wife loves the infused
[Reply]
mojo65 01:49 AM 02-26-2012
Originally Posted by fencefixer:
I'll try the baking soda method first and let you know..

ACID - the rebirth of cigars and death of humidors :-):-):-)
I warned you about the acid mess to start with but you didnt listen...
[Reply]
fencefixer 01:54 AM 02-26-2012
Originally Posted by mojo65:
I warned you about the acid mess to start with but you didnt listen...
I know I know.. yes you did.. but DC sends love, :-) and our friends needed proof of that. :-) The things we do for our friends.. :-)
[Reply]
hapi 08:19 PM 02-29-2012
Ahish.. I do long time same misteak with Acid cigars in 50 cout humidor. I learn bad too.

-Hapi.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:38 PM 02-29-2012
WAIT JUST A MINUTE! Maybe there WAS a prostitue in it! What aren't you telling us, DC? Huh? Huh?
[Reply]
fencefixer 08:43 AM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by hotreds:
WAIT JUST A MINUTE! Maybe there WAS a prostitue in it! What aren't you telling us, DC? Huh? Huh?
Sorry bud, no more jokes from me.

Originally Posted by shilala:
Ya know what, I just thought of this. It's a trick I used for years when I had rental properties, it'd take smell out of ANYTHING.
I used it to destink whole apartments, especially smoker's apartments.
Ammonia.
I'd get a gallon, set it out in dishes, close the place up, come back in a week, and every smell was gone.
With your humi, if baking soda or bleach solution don't work, get a dish of ammonia and sit it in a big green garbage bag. Open the humi up and sit it in there, too. Tie it off and come back in a week or two.
I'd really, honestly be shocked if that didn't work.
Don't use lemon ammonia, just regular ammonia. :-)
Scott, you rock. This worked. Left a little dish with ammonia in it, a week later and a little bit of airing out - the stench is gone. Great trick, thanks again.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up