Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Drymistat tubes
SmokeyJoe 06:59 PM 05-23-2010
Originally Posted by captain53:
... Drymistats work ok for travel humidors but that is about all I know about them. Like Icehog said they only put out and do not offer the maintain capability of quality beads.
That's how I use the Drymistats... they work ok in my travel humis, but I use beads in everything else. :-)
[Reply]
Thrak 12:18 PM 05-30-2010
I use these and find they work very well. The only downside I've found is that their suggestions are optimistic. I'm using 10 sticks for my 150ct and it holds rh rock solid with a very quick recovery time.

Their website does say that it absorbs rh when needed btw...
[Reply]
ckopper91 11:34 AM 03-15-2012
I am looking for some help. I am somewhat new to cigars and am very new to humidors. I recently bought an acrylic humidor jar with a hygroset II hygrometer. I calibrated the hygrometer but have tried using drymistat tube and xicar jar and have found that these products make the humidity level go far over 75%. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what humidification system I should use in the jar?
PLease help!!!
[Reply]
Subvet642 11:43 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by ckopper91:
I am looking for some help. I am somewhat new to cigars and am very new to humidors. I recently bought an acrylic humidor jar with a hygroset II hygrometer. I calibrated the hygrometer but have tried using drymistat tube and xicar jar and have found that these products make the humidity level go far over 75%. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what humidification system I should use in the jar?
PLease help!!!
Hey Bro, I'm here to help. Try these, they'll will keep rh rock solid.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...?prod=HT_05_65
[Reply]
T.G 11:47 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by ckopper91:
PLease help!!!
Drymistat tubes and xikar gel are essentially exactly the same thing, humidity jello. They suck at absorbing excess moisture out of the air, they can do it, but they aren't very quick about it. They tend to do a bit better in larger spaces or humidors that leak a bit.

The acrylic jar humidors, especially the ones made like spring top canning jars, are airtight. Airtight + humidity jello is begging for overhumidification as you are experiencing.

My recommendation for the acrylic jar, because there is so little space in there, is a Boveda 65% 2-way pack. You could also go with a very small tube of beads, which are also 2-way humidifiers, from either HCMbeads.com or heartfelt.com, but, you will lose the space for one to two cigars by putting that tube in there.
[Reply]
ckopper91 11:51 AM 03-15-2012
thanks alot everyone i really appreciate it!
[Reply]
Subvet642 11:54 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
...My recommendation for the acrylic jar, because there is so little space in there, is a Boveda 65% 2-way pack. You could also go with a very small tube of beads, which are also 2-way humidifiers, from either HCMbeads.com or heartfelt.com, but, you will lose the space for one to two cigars by putting that tube in there.
That's okay, Adam; He'll be in a coolerdor before he finishes those Ghurkas.
[Reply]
ckopper91 11:58 AM 03-15-2012
I recently ordered a boveda system 69% do you think this would work for me? compared to the 65% that you recommended?
[Reply]
ckopper91 11:59 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Drymistat tubes and xikar gel are essentially exactly the same thing, humidity jello. They suck at absorbing excess moisture out of the air, they can do it, but they aren't very quick about it. They tend to do a bit better in larger spaces or humidors that leak a bit.

The acrylic jar humidors, especially the ones made like spring top canning jars, are airtight. Airtight + humidity jello is begging for overhumidification as you are experiencing.

My recommendation for the acrylic jar, because there is so little space in there, is a Boveda 65% 2-way pack. You could also go with a very small tube of beads, which are also 2-way humidifiers, from either HCMbeads.com or heartfelt.com, but, you will lose the space for one to two cigars by putting that tube in there.

I recently ordered a boveda system 69% do you think this would work for me? compared to the 65% that you recommended?
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:02 PM 03-15-2012
65% vs 69% is a matter of personal taste. Try your cigars at 69% and see if you like them. If you want them a little dryer (or wetter) you can adjust your humidity device accordingly.
[Reply]
ckopper91 12:05 PM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
65% vs 69% is a matter of personal taste. Try your cigars at 69% and see if you like them. If you want them a little dryer (or wetter) you can adjust your humidity device accordingly.
Thanks alot Michael
[Reply]
Subvet642 12:13 PM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
+1

65% is just my personal choice.
[Reply]
joeobx 06:08 PM 03-15-2012
I have the 65 Heartfelt and between the dry house and probably a small leak they keep mine at 60 which I found I like. The Shilala beads will give you the option to adjust to your preference. If I were to do it over again I would go with the Shilala beads.
[Reply]
alexa071 04:39 AM 03-18-2012
Well... this was my thread from almost two years ago. The advice given to me is still very solid today. I still have my drymistats but I only use them in my travel humidor.

In the two years since I broached the topic I have moved up to a 600 count waxingmoon humidor and I use about 2 pounds of Heartfelt beads in it. The beads are fool proof and I only use so much because my humidor has dedicated space for them and it means less refilling of the beads. My old smaller humidor has now become a flavored humidor for my wife and I also keep a 20 count at work. I use the Heartfelt beads in all of my humidors except my plastic travel humidor.

When you're ready to move up in humidor size (sooner than you would think) I highly suggest waxingmoon... here's the link to my thread about Ed and his build of my humidor:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47993

Back to your question though... get the beads... you won't regret it! :-)

Randy
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up