Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>short term box storage
BigJPinDC 06:03 AM 03-24-2012
Recently had a friend who is not a BOTL score me some boxes of sticks in another city that he's bringing to me next week Tuesday. Jake knows what these are :-).

When my buddy asked me how to store them I realized it will be four days so I don't think I want to just let them sit in his kitchen so I suggested an empty cooler with a shot glass full of water in it.

The boxes are shrink wrapped and the sticks are tubos so I am thinking they will be safe. What do you guys do when you have to ghetto up a storage solution for boxes? Tupperware in a dark location would be fine for singles I imagine.

cheers!
jp
[Reply]
BlkDrew 06:09 AM 03-24-2012
The cooler idea sounds good. If the are In a sealed container you may not need a shot glass of water because the cigars themselves are probably at a higher RH from the b&m
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:16 AM 03-24-2012
If the boxes are shrinkwrapped they will be OK for several days or even a week without any special storage. If you are worried you can put them in a container (e.g., cooler or tupperware) but you don't need to add any extra humidification (water) at this point. Since the boxes are shrinkwrapped it will take longer than a week for the water to be absorbed and worst case is that you might over hydrate the sticks.

Just put them in a bag or a box and you will be OK.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 09:22 AM 03-24-2012
There can only be one Jake:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 09:43 AM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen:
There can only be one Jake:-)
Is there a reason you have chosen to pollute this thread with drivel? :-)

No need to worry if its only for a week or so. If it is very dry you can just use gallon zip lock bags for up to a month with no extra humidification. :-)
[Reply]
Silound 11:19 AM 03-24-2012
A closed box with even a crappy shrink wrap job can last a week out in the open indoors in my experience. After a week things start to get kind of dry and delicate.

If you worried, a couple 2 gallon Zip-Loc bags (or your local equivalent) will absolutely ensure they'll last for at least two weeks indoors. And even then you can take a folded up paper towel and put a few drops of water on it and stick that in the bag with the box.
[Reply]
dwoodward 11:26 AM 03-24-2012
I would say just a ziplock bag. I have one of my boxes in a ziplock bag right now with a hygrometer and it's holding at 67 for a week now with no drop in RH, I've even opened it a couple times for a sticks and it still settles at 67. I think you'll be fine with just a bag, no shot glass needed.
[Reply]
BigJPinDC 02:36 PM 03-24-2012
Thanks brothers for all the great advice!

jp
[Reply]
Up