Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Shattered Hygrometer
deaster25 11:28 AM 03-21-2012
Yesterday I noticed that my hygrometer was reading a bit funny for a few days, it had went from 40 all the way to 80 and stayed at 80 so I took it out of the humidor for a couple of hours to see if it would change or not, after not changing after about 4 hours I decided to put in back since there was now a big gaping hole in my humidor.

While I was pushing it back in the glass face of it shattered in my hands and went all the way through the hole, got glass all in the inside of my humidor. :-) Luckily all of the cigars that were near it were wrapped in celo. I emptied it out and vac'ed it out. I did get the hygrometer back together and it still makes the swoosh sound when i close the lid. Will this have negative affects on the humidity inside even though it still swooshes instead of slams.

Also, I have been using the same tube of heartfelt beads for a few months now with almost no fluctuation in humidity so I'm pretty sure that the hygro had just went bad.
[Reply]
dwoodward 11:36 AM 03-21-2012
Analog Hygrometers are generally not that accurate and can't be calibrated (usually). This might be a good opportunity to seal that hole up really good and invest in a digital hygrometer that can be calibrated.

Not sure what would cause your RH swings, 40 to 80 is pretty extreme for a closed humidor. Are you positive no kids have been getting inside and screwing around with your sticks?
[Reply]
deaster25 11:37 AM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Not sure what would cause your RH swings, 40 to 80 is pretty extreme for a closed humidor. Are you positive no kids have been getting inside and screwing around with your sticks?
Yeah, I have it on a shelf probably 5 feet off of the ground so no kids can get to it.
[Reply]
CigarNut 01:55 PM 03-21-2012
HygroSet makes a replacement for the cabinet-mounted analog hygrometers. It can be calibrated but has the sensors on the back. If the size is right it might make a good replacement...

http://qualityimporters.com/qualityi...ail.asp?ID=121
[Reply]
deaster25 02:21 PM 03-21-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
HygroSet makes a replacement for the cabinet-mounted analog hygrometers. It can be calibrated but has the sensors on the back. If the size is right it might make a good replacement...

http://qualityimporters.com/qualityi...ail.asp?ID=121

That's great. I will definately be getting one of those. Thanks!
[Reply]
Up