Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 26 of 42
« First < 16242526 272836 > Last »
Good Eats>Sous vide
pnoon 05:19 PM 06-19-2017
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Got a question: I need to cook 3 steaks medium-rare and one medium. I cook my medium rare steaks at 129 degrees and the medium at 135 degrees -- all for an hour.

I was thinking that I would cook the medium rare steaks first, then take them out of the bath and heat the bath up to 135 and then cook the medium steak. This means that the MR steaks will sit out (in their bags) for a bit over an hour and I don't know if that's OK. And, I'm loath to refrigerate the MR steaks as they may not heat up enough from the quick sear...

Is there a better way to do this?
I would cook them all MR and just sear one another 60-90 seconds each side.
:-)
[Reply]
T.G 08:39 PM 06-19-2017
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Got a question: I need to cook 3 steaks medium-rare and one medium. I cook my medium rare steaks at 129 degrees and the medium at 135 degrees -- all for an hour.

I was thinking that I would cook the medium rare steaks first, then take them out of the bath and heat the bath up to 135 and then cook the medium steak. This means that the MR steaks will sit out (in their bags) for a bit over an hour and I don't know if that's OK. And, I'm loath to refrigerate the MR steaks as they may not heat up enough from the quick sear...

Is there a better way to do this?
Set the temp for the medium steak. Cook it first.

Add ice to drop the bath temp to what is appropriate for the rare steak.

Toss in the raw steaks that are desired to be served rare.

Mark the bag of the medium steak, toss it in too. It won't cook any more since the temp is lower than it was cooked at, but it will stay warm.

Pull all the steaks out at once, dry, season and sear.
[Reply]
jonumberone 06:19 AM 06-20-2017
I'd prefer to use the method Peter mentioned.
Using Adam's method won't cook the steak any more, like he said, but the extra time could impact the texture.
Especially if other things start to take longer, or guests arrive latter than planned.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:09 AM 06-20-2017
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
I'd prefer to use the method Peter mentioned.
Using Adam's method won't cook the steak any more, like he said, but the extra time could impact the texture.
Especially if other things start to take longer, or guests arrive latter than planned.
True.

But I wouldn't think 2 hours would have an impact on texture. He could leave the medium steak out for the first 30 minutes and toss it back in with the medium rare for the last 30 minutes.

The method I mentioned may or may not be the best. But it IS the easiest.
[Reply]
croatan 12:47 PM 06-20-2017
Originally Posted by pnoon:
True.

But I wouldn't think 2 hours would have an impact on texture. He could leave the medium steak out for the first 30 minutes and toss it back in with the medium rare for the last 30 minutes.

The method I mentioned may or may not be the best. But it IS the easiest.
Yeah, I've always done as Peter described for cooking my mother's steaks to her preferred level of overcooked (she's always the odd person out at family gatherings), but might try Adam's method in the future.
[Reply]
bonjing 12:48 PM 06-20-2017
I don't know if I'm going to make any sense but I'll give it a shot.

Has your guests ever had a souse vide steak before? The reason for my thinking is that a sous vide cooked steak at 129deg versus a steak cooked on the grill at 129deg will both have different consistencies/looks when compared to each other. Maybe your 129deg would be just fine.

Or do i just cooked totally f-u'ed up :-)
[Reply]
Tio Gato 02:24 PM 06-20-2017
Greg, there's nothing wrong with traditional grilling. Guests will appreciate both preparations. Sous vide will cook the steak evenly from the outside to the center, all at the same temp. Grilling a steak to 129F in the center will cook it from the outside in. So by the time the center reaches 129F the outer parts will be cooked to a higher temp. Sous vide produces the same temp through out the meat. It will need to be browned fast and furious on the outside for the texture and taste. It's that even cooking that makes the sous vide steak different.

:-) both are yummy. Do whatever you like. Your guest will enjoy. The first few times I made sous vide steak for guests, they went nuts with joy.:-)
[Reply]
bonjing 05:02 PM 06-20-2017
That's kind of what I am trying to, but unsuccessfully, trying to put down. A lot of people are grossed out by the look of a steak that's done on a grill, oven or stove top to a med-rare temp because it looks more bloody on the inside compared to a steak done to the same temp in a souse vide.

Myself I like med-rare (the 129 deg recommended by the annova cookbook), but even at some steakhouses a med-rare can come out pretty bloody, I don't mind it but most people that are used to that type of preparation are mostly turned off and and go with a more cooked meat. Marie likes a med done steak when we go out, but doesn't mind the med-rare on the souse vide, although sometimes she will ask me to sear the steak a little longer to get rid of the pink, she goes back and forth.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 05:46 PM 06-20-2017
To please all types I'll do a whole tenderloin to 129F. A good sear at the end will cook the tapered end even more yielding a more med. rare or med. cook.
I slice the whole thing and serve on a platter and let the guests choose the degree of "doneness" they like.:-)
[Reply]
Brlesq 06:51 AM 06-21-2017
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
To please all types I'll do a whole tenderloin to 129F. A good sear at the end will cook the tapered end even more yielding a more med. rare or med. cook.
I slice the whole thing and serve on a platter and let the guests choose the degree of "doneness" they like.:-)
Tenderloins @ 129F are so easy and tender. Cut with a fork like butter.

[Reply]
pnoon 08:19 AM 06-21-2017
Looks great, Bruce.
:-)
[Reply]
Flynnster 04:23 PM 06-22-2017
Pork loin is one of my favorite things to sous vide! So easy to do, stays moist and tender, then toss them on the grill to render any fat on the outside and sear things up. I also feel like the direct heat helps firm up the meat a bit.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:59 PM 06-22-2017
Bratwurst at 147.5 for two hours and finished in a cast iron skillet.
Sauteed onions. With mustard on a roll.

:-) x 10
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:40 AM 06-23-2017

My stomach just went "RRROOOOAAAR". It's 7:40am and I now crave a bratwurst for breakfast. :-)
[Reply]
stearns 07:00 AM 06-23-2017

How do they compare texture wise to normal cooking methods? Never thought to SV sausages but the thought does sound good.

Side question: anybody try regular hot dogs? would there be any benefit? maybe I'm just thinking crazy now
[Reply]
T.G 07:27 AM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by stearns:
How do they compare texture wise to normal cooking methods? Never thought to SV sausages but the thought does sound good.

Side question: anybody try regular hot dogs? would there be any benefit? maybe I'm just thinking crazy now
SV sausages tend to be much juicer. I've never used long cooks though, Peter would have to tell you if the texture changes any with a 10 hour cook.

I don't think a hot dog would change that much since it's already cooked.
[Reply]
stearns 07:36 AM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by T.G:
I don't think a hot dog would change that much since it's already cooked.
I figured the same, just some early morning ramblings :-)
[Reply]
T.G 07:41 AM 06-23-2017
I figured the same, just some early morning ramblings :-)
Heh.

BTW, now that I think about it, I recall that I SV'd a few slices of spam once. It did nothing for it. Actually might have made it worse.
[Reply]
stearns 07:48 AM 06-23-2017
Originally Posted by T.G:
Heh.

BTW, now that I think about it, I recall that I SV'd a few slices of spam once. It did nothing for it. Actually might have made it worse.
People always say spam can be made into something edible, I've never seen it :-)
[Reply]
T.G 08:11 AM 06-23-2017
People always say spam can be made into something edible, I've never seen it :-)
spam musubi :-)
[Reply]
Page 26 of 42
« First < 16242526 272836 > Last »
Up