Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>First glass of port
jhedrick83 06:33 PM 03-15-2014
So I was gifted a bottle of Founders Reserve Porto a few months back by a co-worker and I just now opened it up. I've never had port before and it is almost syrupy. I'm on the fence about it, it's good but bordering on cough medicine. Do you all have any cigar paring suggestions I know taste is all relative. If it helps I'm a Maduro whore.
[Reply]
Subvet642 06:55 PM 03-15-2014
Originally Posted by jhedrick83:
So I was gifted a bottle of Founders Reserve Porto a few months back by a co-worker and I just now opened it up. I've never had port before and it is almost syrupy. I'm on the fence about it, it's good but bordering on cough medicine. Do you all have any cigar paring suggestions I know taste is all relative. If it helps I'm a Maduro whore.
I drink Madeira, which is also a fortified wine like port, and I would recommend either something spicy like a Viaje or something earthy/leathery like a Fuente maduro of some sort. For CC's I'd go with something floral, an ERDM or LFdC or something Partagas; enough umph to balance the sweetness of the port. Just a thought.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 07:15 PM 03-15-2014
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
I drink Madeira, which is also a fortified wine like port, and I would recommend either something spicy like a Viaje or something earthy/leathery like a Fuente maduro of some sort. For CC's I'd go with something floral, an ERDM or LFdC or something Partagas; enough umph to balance the sweetness of the port. Just a thought.
Thanks, I ended up lighting up a Skull Breaker and it's been great so far! I have tons of Maduro Fuentes I'll have to try with it.
[Reply]
Subvet642 07:16 PM 03-15-2014
Originally Posted by jhedrick83:
Thanks, I ended up lighting up a Skull Breaker and it's been great so far! I have tons of Maduro Fuentes I'll have to try with it.
Rockin':-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 07:37 PM 03-15-2014
If you want to try a different end of the spectrum, try a cream sherry like Harveys Bristol Cream. To my palate, it is very "oak"-y sweet.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 07:53 PM 03-15-2014
Thanks for the heads up!:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:16 PM 03-15-2014
Had my first glass of port years ago with a Bolivar PC. They paired perfectly, and I have dug the combination ever since.
[Reply]
mahtofire14 08:19 PM 03-15-2014
I love me some port. Especially with a CC. Not sure why but they always seem to fit together perfectly. :-)
[Reply]
smokin5 12:20 AM 03-16-2014
Maduros pair quite nicely with port, especially the tawny ports.
I recommend a Padron 1926 Anniversary Maduro.
Or Camacho SLR Maduro.
Or EO 601 Blue Maduro.
[Reply]
the nub 02:05 PM 03-16-2014
never had a bad port/cigar pairing so IMO any and every cigar will benefit. Also, if you are unaware, the opened bottle has a limited shelf life. I would consume it within a week. Some might stretch it out to 4 weeks but that's akin to finishing a half-smoked cigar the next day.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 02:33 PM 03-16-2014
Originally Posted by the nub:
never had a bad port/cigar pairing so IMO any and every cigar will benefit. Also, if you are unaware, the opened bottle has a limited shelf life. I would consume it within a week. Some might stretch it out to 4 weeks but that's akin to finishing a half-smoked cigar the next day.
I did not know that, thanks! Luckily it's spring break here and I have very few clients this week. So finishing the bottle should be no problem!!! :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 02:55 PM 03-16-2014
Most port will hold easily well into a month and then more if refrigerated.
Even if not refrigerated, do you think all bars that open a bottle of port and don't sell it within a week throw it out? And since we know the answer, how many patrons complain when it is served?

My wife enjoys port regularly as we came to know of it nearly 40 years ago while living in a predominantly Portuguese neighborhood. Enjoy them all (vintage, ruby, tawny, LBV, White, etc) and pair them with any cigar. No rush to kill the bottle immediately. Wife keeps one in fridge to help with digestion. Truly calms an upset stomach. Chilled takes on a very interesting flavor.

The only ones I would be concerned with drinking right away are any in a pull out cork as with a bottle of wine, as opposed to the typical port t-cork.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 12:20 PM 03-22-2014
I'll say this, port plus a work of art maduro equals amazing. :-):-)
[Reply]
JohnRogers 05:58 PM 03-22-2014
Originally Posted by smokin5:
Maduros pair quite nicely with port, especially the tawny ports.
Agreed the contrasting flavors make for a nice 90 minutes.
[Reply]
Brlesq 06:02 PM 03-22-2014
Not much of an infused cigar fan normally, but I do enjoy an Acid Kuba Kuba with a glass of port a couple times a year. Seems to go very well together.
[Reply]
Up