Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>A simple observation
dwoodward 09:35 AM 08-30-2010
I have noticed something very interesting the last few months. As we collect cigars and catch deals, we sometimes get a little ahead of ourselves and end up buying a collector stash of some extremely small batch cigars. We end up holding on to these cigars to smoke at a very special time. The whole problem is that no time is special enough in our minds to justify smoking them. So we keep holding them. Waiting.

The smoking hobby has almost turned some people into collectors that would rather hold onto cigars than smoke them.

Prime example: (No mean to advertise outside the trade forums, just using as example)
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35669

So many people just hording this special "cask" of cigars. Untouched cigars still in their factory state. Will they ever smoke them? Probably not...

I guess the real question I am here asking is, why do we horde cigars like these as if they have special meaning, like they are some mythical stick that you need to be a lottery winner to smoke. When it comes down to it, cigars are cigars. Cigars are made to be smoked.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 09:42 AM 08-30-2010
I totally agree, and yet I find myself holding on to special sticks for "the right moment".

I need to tell myself, the right moment is NOW.
[Reply]
tsolomon 09:44 AM 08-30-2010
I think Ron White says it best. "I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em."
[Reply]
markem 09:46 AM 08-30-2010
You are slightly ahead of the curve. In general, people are here about a full three months before they make that particular post.
[Reply]
pektel 09:48 AM 08-30-2010
I smoke em... No cigar is safe on any day. I smoked an Opus X Perfexcion X yesterday because I felt like it. The day before I had a sig ii because it looked good. A couple days before that I had a 99 Quintero (granted not a htf/rare stick, but it is one of VERY few CC's that I posess). I was going to buy some of those Vintage smokes from a member on here that were from teh 50's or something. Then I realized I would probably never smoke one, so I didn't follow through with the purchase. I buy cigars to smoke em!

I would much rather say "Yeah, I smoked one of those. It was great" than, "Yeah I have one of those. Still waiting to smoke it."

I understand aging cigars, and that necessitates them being around for a while.

To those that want to wait for something to celebrate: You're alive. What more is there to celebrate? Have a cigar. You deserve it.
[Reply]
Jbailey 09:53 AM 08-30-2010
There are some discontinued smokes I put away and buried. Just for the fact I can get them for a good price now and will have a few boxes to smoke through the years to come.

Just planning ahead. :-)
[Reply]
neoflex 09:54 AM 08-30-2010
I will admit that I fall into this category. When we have company over and they see my humidors they usually ask "Wow, how many cigars do you smoke a day." which is when my wife usually chimes in and says "He collects more than he smokes." Which currently is more or less true although I keep telling myself that I need to start smoking what I consider the more HTF cigars in my collection more often as I do not think there will be enough special occasions in my life to celebrate with all of the sticks that I lump into this category. To think at one point in my life I was happy with only having a handful of cigars on hand at any given moment and wouldn't replenish until I was down to maybe one or two. Than one day I discovered a message board called Club Stogie and it was all down hill from there.:-) From that point my collection grew like wild fire and I found myself seeking out more and more smokes even though my collection grew larger and larger. There is a reason why we call it the slippery slope.:-)
[Reply]
markem 09:56 AM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by neoflex:
I keep telling myself that I need to start smoking what I consider the more HTF cigars in my collection more often as I do not think there will be enough special occasions in my life to celebrate with all of the sticks that I lump into this category.
The most special occasion of all: woke up on the right side of the grass

Even the most HTF cigar can be off and even cheapies can have a great day. Don't run the risk, smoke what seems inviting at the time.
[Reply]
Chingas 09:58 AM 08-30-2010
Great work Peter.

My belief. I could die today. It's actualy very realistic. So why just look at all these good smokes? I'll smoke them. I've saved a few a for a goo amour of years, smoked them an they were awful. Plugged, draw problems, stale tasting, whatever. Obviosly was a complete letdown for the occasion.

I enjoy the hunt as well. I need to smoke my collection so I know I love something or not. Then if I love it, the hunt begins, again to replenish the stash so I always got some great sticks at the ready.

Smoke em if you got em!
[Reply]
BlackIrish 10:02 AM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by neoflex:
I will admit that I fall into this category. When we have company over and they see my humidors they usually ask "Wow, how many cigars do you smoke a day." which is when my wife usually chimes in and says "He collects more than he smokes." Which currently is more or less true although I keep telling myself that I need to start smoking what I consider the more HTF cigars in my collection more often as I do not think there will be enough special occasions in my life to celebrate with all of the sticks that I lump into this category. To think at one point in my life I was happy with only having a handful of cigars on hand at any given moment and wouldn't replenish until I was down to maybe one or two. Than one day I discovered a message board called Club Stogie and it was all down hill from there.:-) From that point my collection grew like wild fire and I found myself seeking out more and more smokes even though my collection grew larger and larger. There is a reason why we call it the slippery slope.:-)
Amen, brother.
[Reply]
Brooks W 10:19 AM 08-30-2010
There is a big difference between keeping cigars to collect, and keeping cigars to age...

~brooks
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:28 AM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by Brooks W:
There is a big difference between keeping cigars to collect, and keeping cigars to age...

~brooks
Absolutely!

It really comes down to intention. Are you (the general cigar smoker) keeping these cigars to eventually smoke them, or just to make your cabinets look pretty? More often then not, cigar smokers are aging them to perfection.

In my case, I have few "special" smokes that Ive saved for a special occasion. The problem comes in when one arrives at that special occasion, and keeps on saving that cigar for "an even-more special occasion". Sometimes, you just gotta have the balls and smoke the thing. More often then not, you'll be glad you did.
[Reply]
sjnovakovich 10:45 AM 08-30-2010
Funny that this shows up today. I smoke a few cigars a week and have an end table humidor. I decided to go through it over the weekend and get it organized. Holy Cow! I have over 20 Opus X of various sizes, a couple of Fuente's in coffins, about 30 Anejo's and several other hard to find and rare cigars that I have been waiting to smoke. Guess what... the waiting is over. I'm going to enjoy these, and when they're gone, I'll find more just like I found these.
[Reply]
sikk50 10:59 AM 08-30-2010
When I realized that is when I stopped holding cigars for a special time that may never come. The only one I have that is being held for a special occasion is a 2004 Forbidden X, BUT his execution date, along with the opening if a bottle JW Blue my friend bought me last Christmas, is set for December when I FINALY graduate with a BA in Criminal Justice!
[Reply]
Chingas 11:03 AM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by sjnovakovich:
Funny that this shows up today. I smoke a few cigars a week and have an end table humidor. I decided to go through it over the weekend and get it organized. Holy Cow! I have over 20 Opus X of various sizes, a couple of Fuente's in coffins, about 30 Anejo's and several other hard to find and rare cigars that I have been waiting to smoke. Guess what... the waiting is over. I'm going to enjoy these, and when they're gone, I'll find more just like I found these.
That's what I'm talking about!:-)
[Reply]
bigliver 11:18 AM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
I guess the real question I am here asking is, why do we horde cigars like these as if they have special meaning, like they are some mythical stick that you need to be a lottery winner to smoke. When it comes down to it, cigars are cigars. Cigars are made to be smoked.
There is a fine line between hoarding cigars and knowing that a few of the cigars sitting in your humi are sticks that will never be produced again. That's the special meaning in and of itself. I will smoke my entire stash...when and where are matters to be debated. But make no mistake, they will be toasted.
[Reply]
massphatness 11:53 AM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
I have noticed something very interesting the last few months. As we collect cigars and catch deals, we sometimes get a little ahead of ourselves and end up buying a collector stash of some extremely small batch cigars. We end up holding on to these cigars to smoke at a very special time. The whole problem is that no time is special enough in our minds to justify smoking them. So we keep holding them. Waiting.

The smoking hobby has almost turned some people into collectors that would rather hold onto cigars than smoke them.

Prime example: (No mean to advertise outside the trade forums, just using as example)
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35669

So many people just hording this special "cask" of cigars. Untouched cigars still in their factory state. Will they ever smoke them? Probably not...

I'm the OP in the sale thread referenced. In my case, the answer is fairly straight forward: my tastes changed. I used to be a huge Gurkha whore, for example. Loved the Regent. It was my go-to stick. Over time, I became enamored with the kick in gut experience I got from cigars like Camacho, Taboo Special Forces and 601 Green Label. My tastes further evolved into the Tat & Pepin lines. The DPG Blue became my “everyday” smoke and I was all about the Tats with the exception of the White Label. Then I got shoved to the Dark Side. I fell hard for the Cubans, and in the last 18 months, I can count the number of NCs I’ve had on one hand. I sold off the vast majority of my NC stock – everything went save for those sticks where I still felt an emotional connection: a handful of DPG Blues, some San Cristobals, a few Padrons & Opus and my beloved Blacks. While I have an intact jar that I’m selling, I also have quite a few singles. If I get the urge to smoke a Tat Black, fear not, I will smoke one.

I don’t collect. What I buy, I plan to smoke. That’s not to say I don’t put a box or two away for long term aging, and who knows, if my tastes change again, I may sell those.

And I used to ascribe to the “special occasion” school of thought. However, I found I could not guarantee with absolute certainty that the cigar I was holding would match the occasion. I’ll use Davidoff as an example. I have a few on hand, and I used to reserve them only for the most special of occasions. The funny thing is, on more than one of those occasions, the cigar was off. It happens, and it underscored to me that my way of thinking might be a little “pie in the sky” because you never can tell.

Today, I have a few what I refer to as “occasion” cigars. These are from boxes whose box codes coincide with my kids’ birth years. I guess they’re quasi special event cigars, but in this case, it has more to do with the emotional value I place on the cigar because of its year than its flavor profile or rarity. The 1993 RASS I have, for example, holds more meaning to me than if I were to happen upon a 1492. I’m saving those RASS to mark milestone events in my oldest son’s life: turning 18, getting into the school of his choice, college graduation, etc. All my other cigars are up for grabs whenever the moment moves me.
[Reply]
Da Klugs 12:10 PM 08-30-2010
:-) You never want your last thought (heaven forbid it comes too soon) to be , "Damn I wish I had smoked that pretty you have been saving coveting here".

Had a near death car experience a few years ago and since, no cigar (That I can find in my humi) is safe.

Accumulation is not a bad thing so long as it does not affect your lifestyle due to money issues. If everything else is cool... why not?

Unlike most vices, accumulating cigars is not asset depleting. You can always sell them and they tend to appreciate over time if you buy the right ones. Coke habits on the other hand.... :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 12:12 PM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:
:-) You never want your last thought (heaven forbid it comes too soon) to be , "Damn I wish I had smoked that pretty you have been saving coveting here".

Had a near death car experience a few years ago and since, no cigar (That I can find in my humi) is safe.

Accumulation is not a bad thing so long as it does not affect your lifestyle due to money issues. If everything else is cool... why not?

Unlike most vices, accumulating cigars is not asset depleting. You can always sell them and they tend to appreciate over time if you buy the right ones. Coke habits on the other hand.... :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Giant & 49er Fan 12:12 PM 08-30-2010
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:

Cheers to this. After my accident, I smoke whatever, whenever... Cigars that is!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up