Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>black cat cigars and DPG
Steelergar 09:17 PM 09-09-2010
Does anybody know what the deal is with Black cat cigar company and their cheap prices for DPG sticks. I know the owner is upset DPG quit making house stogies for him but that was a few years ago. Why does he continue the discount prices and how does that hurt DPG . Do you guys think theirs any chance Black cat is selling counterfeit DPGs? Some of the box prices are cheaper than what I see the same thing go for on c bid.
[Reply]
pinotguy 10:01 PM 09-09-2010
I think this is due to the owners (still) sour grapes. At this point, I don't think it hurts Pepin since these boxes were bought and paid for a while ago. I'd be shocked if they were counterfeit. Instead, Sam just can't seem to move beyond what he felt was a personal affront. Pepin rolled a lot of house brands for folks when he was getting established here in the U.S., and nearly all of those clients were dropped as his business grew. I'm not convinced this was done out of spite on Pepin's part, but rather, as he gained clients like Ashton, EO, and as Tatuaje expanded, these were business decisions. Business, like nature at times, can seem cruel and harsh. I don't believe he could continue making these small house/regional brands while fulfilling the commitments to larger clients.
[Reply]
d'am 02:36 PM 09-10-2010
Pepin is a business man. I doubt he simply refused to continue to roll house-brand smokes. I'm guessing that he refused to roll them at a previous, lower price. The guy has made a name for himself by rolling smokes that people like. Why shouldn't he increase his prices? I'm surprised anyone who doesn't understand this actually runs a business.
[Reply]
Up