Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>AF Anejo #50
BlackIrish 07:52 AM 01-31-2009
I had the good fortune to smoke this cigar as a result of a generous blind tasting from Sauer Grapes -- thank you! (And thank you to NeoFlex, who apparently was Sauer Grapes' source).

I smoked this one out at my local haunt, so I don't have photos. The wrapper was dark, almost maduro, somewhat splotchy, with some veining. It's a beautiful, dark, well-wrapped and -filled smoke: solid, with a firm feel, triple cap, and hints of spice amid the deep rich manure scent from the foot.

I sliced it, just skimming the head, which took the cut perfectly. The draw was just right, with some slight resistance, and notes of dark, spicy tobacco.

It lit easily, producing lots of spicy aromatic smoke. The firm ash was stark white against the dark wrapper.

As expected, I got some pepper -- chili not black -- upon lighting. The deep, rich flavor contained some slight sweetness at the core, and a peppery heat in the back of the palate, like a chipotle. I am liking this! It has the same kind of flavor profile as a dark chocolate bar with cinnamon and chili, which, to my tastes, is a great flavor profile. Much deeper, darker, and richer than I usually associate with Dominican tobacco.

As I progressed into the second third and then into the third, I didn't get a whole lot of new flavors, just the same good flavors in a deeper, richer and rounder form. The cinnamon, chili, and chocolate blended quite well, like a mole sauce, always in balance. There were occasional woody notes that drifted through. The spice mellowed in the last inch and a half, coasting into a smooth landing. I was sorry when I ran out of cigar to smoke.

One of the best cigars I've smoked. Now I understand the hype.
[Reply]
acarr 09:26 AM 01-31-2009
Originally Posted by BlackIrish:
and hints of spice amid the deep rich manure scent from the foot.
Thanks for the review. At least it didn't taste like manure:-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 09:35 AM 01-31-2009
Thanks for the review!!!

Very nice description!!!

[Reply]
md4958 09:38 AM 01-31-2009
Great review Eddie!
[Reply]
BlackIrish 10:17 AM 01-31-2009
It's easy to review a cigar like that!
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 10:41 AM 01-31-2009
Like I said in the other thread, I'm glad you liked it! Of course, I'm sorry you liked it so much as well.

Looking forward to you joining the ranks of the Anejo crazed customer next holiday season!
[Reply]
ca21455 11:31 AM 01-31-2009
Nice review. I always jump on the opportunity to get some of these when the price is right.
[Reply]
Swampfox21 11:41 AM 01-31-2009
hey thank for the review. Ive been thinking about tryin one, now you sold me on it
[Reply]
8lug 12:35 PM 01-31-2009
These are my favorite smokes, if you get the chance try at # 46
[Reply]
shilala 12:42 PM 01-31-2009
I enjoy an Anejo every now and again. I had one while I was shoveling snow last week or the week before. It was just as good as they always are and I even got treated to a little buzz. :-)
[Reply]
zmancbr 02:15 PM 02-02-2009
Thanks for the review... I love anejos and the #50 is my second favorite size in the lineup! :-)
[Reply]
jpan 08:22 PM 02-02-2009
I have a few #46 and #50 in the Humidor. Have not had one yet. Nice to hear such a positive review. I always wonder if heavily hyped cigars will live up to expectations.
[Reply]
roughrider 05:25 PM 02-03-2009
Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
zmancbr 02:32 PM 02-04-2009
Originally Posted by jpan:
I have a few #46 and #50 in the Humidor. Have not had one yet. Nice to hear such a positive review. I always wonder if heavily hyped cigars will live up to expectations.
Sometimes they do... I think Opus are a tad over hyped personally. I enjoy smoking and collecting them and they are good when aged, but not anything to break the bank for...

Anejos are another story. I think they are a very special cigar with very unique and wonderful flavors. :-)
[Reply]
Scottw 02:33 PM 02-04-2009
Havent had one of these yet, got a dozen of this size in the humi and waiting on the opportunity to smoke one when it gets warmer out.
[Reply]
jwintosh 02:47 PM 02-04-2009
great review of a great cigar!!
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 02:57 PM 02-04-2009
Had one of these just today. As usual, it was pretty darn good, but this one wasn't as good as the average one for me. No complaints though. It could have been the LADC EE I had before it that affected the taste though.
[Reply]
Up