Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Good Eats>Crawfish Season!
white_s2k 09:41 PM 01-24-2009
Anyone else ready for crawfish season?? Local place here in Dallas already has it in, so I'm planning a boil for Super Bowl. Anyone got any special tips/techniques for how you like to make yours?

[Reply]
icehog3 11:20 PM 01-24-2009
I have never cooked them myself, but have eaten more than my share....good stuff! :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:41 AM 01-25-2009
For me the key is to use the "Swamp Fire" brand of seasoning. Well that and purging the little suckers!!!
[Reply]
Partagaspete 04:53 AM 01-25-2009
Let them play a few days in clean water to clean out their system. I use Old Bay.

One thing I do differently than most is I steam them so the seasoning is on them as you eat. Kinda like Maryland style blue crabs.

T
[Reply]
Martin 06:55 AM 01-25-2009
Thanks for the pic, it's 9 am here n freakin cheerios just ain't gonna cut it now :-)
[Reply]
boonedoggle 07:08 AM 01-25-2009
Use plenty of Cayenne pepper. C'est ci bon!
[Reply]
TheJ 05:11 PM 01-25-2009
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Well that and purging the little suckers!!!
Salt the hell out of em

Originally Posted by boonedoggle:
Use plenty of Cayenne pepper. C'est ci bon!
:-) also, don't forget the lemon, corn, potatoes, and garlic.

now you went and got me all hungry.
[Reply]
shvictor 07:23 PM 01-25-2009
I can't believe I've never had them. They look very tasty
[Reply]
Kreth 07:38 PM 01-25-2009
When I was working down in Manhattan several years ago, I used to go to a tiny place called the Delta Grille that had a fantastic Crawfish Etoufee. Yum!
[Reply]
Yazzie 07:45 PM 01-25-2009
Man I love these. Go to an annual boil every year where they do it up to the nines....They have 6 or 7 stations (Tables covered with Newspaper) and they biol em up in huge posts with all kinds of potatoes, garlic, mushrooms, etc...

Dump em out in the middle of a station and you just stand there and go to town on em... Need lots of cold beer to wash em down :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 08:02 PM 01-25-2009
I've never made them myself, but I'm a fan...Cajun style in Nola.
[Reply]
Darrell 08:22 PM 01-25-2009
I'm a big fan of mud bugs. I have not had any in a couple years, in 2007 I went TDY to Bolixi, MS and that was the last time I had them. Tasty lil buggers. :-)
[Reply]
rack04 08:24 PM 01-25-2009
One of my absolute favorite eats. I can't wait to go to Crawfish Festival again this year.
[Reply]
TheJ 08:24 PM 01-25-2009
Originally Posted by ucla695:
I've never made them myself, but I'm a fan...Cajun style in Nola.
The first time I made them was for a friend's birthday about 11 years ago. Let's just say I've never boiled them indoors since then. It was nearly a month before I could walk in and not get overwhelmed.

You gotta dip them, gettem all covered up in Louisiana Hot Sauce. Kind of like dipping shrimp in butter.
[Reply]
shvictor 10:03 PM 01-25-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I'm a big fan of mud bugs. I have not had any in a couple years, in 2007 I went TDY to Bolixi, MS and that was the last time I had them. Tasty lil buggers. :-)
We should have a Crawdad festival herf. Isleton has it every year on Fathers day weekend.
[Reply]
Mark C 05:26 AM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by Partagaspete:
Let them play a few days in clean water to clean out their system. I use Old Bay.

One thing I do differently than most is I steam them so the seasoning is on them as you eat. Kinda like Maryland style blue crabs.

T
Steamed AND Old Bay? Smart man. You must not be a gulf shore native :-)
[Reply]
bonjing 11:10 AM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by shvictor:
We should have a Crawdad festival herf. Isleton has it every year on Fathers day weekend.
I went last year and had a blast. also came home with about 6 trays of extra crawdads and about 5 pounds on my gut :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 11:12 AM 01-26-2009
I'm not a fan but when I visit SoCal the GF and I head to a place called "The Boiling Crab" :-) I love the way they make it!
[Reply]
ucla695 11:16 AM 01-26-2009
Originally Posted by TheJ:
The first time I made them was for a friend's birthday about 11 years ago. Let's just say I've never boiled them indoors since then. It was nearly a month before I could walk in and not get overwhelmed.

You gotta dip them, gettem all covered up in Louisiana Hot Sauce. Kind of like dipping shrimp in butter.
Whoa. I had no idea. Thanks for the heads-up. There's nothing worse than lingering food smells in the house. Especially fish and similar things.

Hot sauce!!!
[Reply]
white_s2k 11:35 AM 01-26-2009
I made the same mistake of cooking it inside the first go around. Now I have a stand that you just hook a propane tank up to that works great. Just placed my order for Super Bowl, 30 pounds and Im calling dibs on atleast 5!
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up