Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 52 of 54
« First < 242505152 5354 >
Discussion>New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart
nutcracker 03:11 PM 02-12-2015
I'm a lazy SOB and will usually wait until I have 3 or 4 to clean, then do a batch. Sort of an early morning ritual sitting in my office (where I am not allowed to smoke, but can still enjoy my pipes - cleaning and polishing away.)
[Reply]
gravel 11:51 PM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba:
So typically I shouldn't remove the stem immediately after smoking?
No. Let your pipe cool first. That system pipe is designed to allow for removal while warm, but if you have no need to do so, it's best to let it cool.
[Reply]
gravel 11:53 PM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by nutcracker:
I'm a lazy SOB and will usually wait until I have 3 or 4 to clean, then do a batch. Sort of an early morning ritual sitting in my office (where I am not allowed to smoke, but can still enjoy my pipes - cleaning and polishing away.)
That's generally true for me. I often will run a cleaner and wipe the bowl and call it good. I've become less intensive in my cleaning.
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 06:15 PM 02-13-2015
I've got one for you guys. How thoroughly do you clean your cobs? Specifically the area at the bottom of the bowl between the wall of the bowl and the outer part of the stem. Most cons have 2 deep little pockets due to the stem coming into the chamber.

I'm not too particular usually but have been considering getting a poker and digging out some of that gooey funk.
How about you?
[Reply]
timj219 06:23 PM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer:
I've got one for you guys. How thoroughly do you clean your cobs? Specifically the area at the bottom of the bowl between the wall of the bowl and the outer part of the stem. Most cons have 2 deep little pockets due to the stem coming into the chamber.

I'm not too particular usually but have been considering getting a poker and digging out some of that gooey funk.
How about you?
I leave it alone. I think it forms a new raised bottom for the pipe which will prevent the bottom from burning out. Cobs are all I smoke these days and it's never given me any problem. The low maintenance is one of the things I love about them.
[Reply]
Slow Triathlete 06:38 PM 02-13-2015
Yeah....just leave it alone. It adds to the seasoning.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:04 PM 02-13-2015
...what Tim and Scott sayz:-)
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 08:05 AM 02-14-2015
As has been said, just leave it alone. In time, it will form a cake along the bottom and that will help to keep the bottom from burning out too quickly!
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 09:51 AM 02-14-2015
I'll leave it be, appreciate the feedback fellas.

I think I do want to grab a couple more cobs though so they get a little more dry time. I have a tendency to hand mine out to potential converts.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 10:28 AM 02-14-2015
I'll leave it be, appreciate the feedback fellas.

I think I do want to grab a couple more cobs though so they get a little more dry time. I have a tendency to hand mine out to potential converts.
I do know that if your local B&M do not carry cobs Seth, that Walgreens does carry the MM Legend and Mark Twain. Some carry only the Legend and some carry both...
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 06:22 AM 02-15-2015
Our local drug stores have gone to the birds. I'll just tack a couple on my next smokingpipes order :-)
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 09:00 AM 02-26-2015
Anyone ever use gqtobaccos.com ? I am looking at pipes and they seem to have pretty competitive prices. Any other recommendations are helpful. I have become quite fond of Petersons.
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 09:17 AM 02-26-2015
They don't ship to US. Glynn's blends are very tasty though. :-)
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 11:09 AM 02-26-2015
Theyre site says they do. Have you looked recently?
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 12:27 PM 02-26-2015
I apologize. I just re-checked it and it specifies no tobacco shipped to US, nothing about actual pipes.

Having been under a false assumption for so long, I haven't given the pipe selection a good look until now. Prices are VERY reasonable even with overseas shipping. Color me happily incorrect :-)
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 01:02 PM 02-26-2015
Haha glad I could help a brother out:-) I am curious why their prices seem to be so much better than smokingpipes or pipesandcigars. those are the main two I look at.
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 01:34 PM 02-26-2015
Seems too good to be true doesn't it? I don't mean that to question the reputation of GQ, they're most definitely legitimate.
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 02:10 PM 02-26-2015
Seems too good to be true doesn't it? I don't mean that to question the reputation of GQ, they're most definitely legitimate.
I was curious if these were actually estate pipes or something and I missed it in the fine print. I have a few weeks/months to save up before I can afford a new pipe. If you get anything let me know how it all worked out.
[Reply]
RJrocker 12:19 PM 09-18-2015
What makes a pipe an "Estate Pipe"? What does this mean and how it is different from any other pipe?

TIA
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 10:36 AM 09-21-2015
It generally just means previously owned. "Used" doesn't sound as sophisticated :-)
[Reply]
Page 52 of 54
« First < 242505152 5354 >
Up