Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Entertainment>Digital Camera for Christmas
Cigargal 02:06 PM 11-25-2008
I am going to buy my partner one for Christmas. She has her eye on the Canon Eos Rebel. She has a regular Canon Rebel and has liked it. I wish I could afford the 12pixel model but I am going to have to settle for the 10 pix. Anyone have one of these? Any recommendations?
[Reply]
poker 02:32 PM 11-25-2008
I see that Best Buy will be having the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2-Megapixel on sale for Black Friday. Currently 799.00 but it says the sale will be 699.00

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4496

click link in first post
clink best buy logo link under "ads"
[Reply]
The Professor 02:35 PM 11-25-2008
I had the model below the one you're looking at, Marianne. It was AWESOME. I really had a lot of fun with it and, even with the stock lens, took some good pics despite my complete lack of skill.

I hope Toddzilla and The Dakotan chime in -- both shoot with Canons a lot. :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 02:36 PM 11-25-2008
The 10 MP Rebel would be an excellent gift for her. She can use all her lenses with it, keeping in mind that the digital conversion factor is about 1.6x. Meaning that a 50mm lens would become an 80mm lens. I use the slightly higher grade models, 30 and 40Ds, but I need the more rugged bodies since I do mostly outdoor shooting. The XTI should do her fine if she is used to and happy with a 35MM Rebel.
[Reply]
poker 02:38 PM 11-25-2008
Personally I would buy this though for $574.99
Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1200703005185

I currently have a virtually unused Canon 30D that Im not exactly fond of. I'm thinking I may unload it and get a Nikon myself.
[Reply]
Heliofire 02:48 PM 11-25-2008
I would also look at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ for prices, I use them for almost all of my equipment. You could also check out Calumet photo too.
[Reply]
N2Advnture 02:54 PM 11-25-2008
Not to add to the confusion but... :-)

I picked up the Sony Alpha and dig it. The main reason for me choosing this camera over others (Nikon D40) is that the others have the "anti-shake" built into the lenses. This causes the lens to be incredibly expense.

With the Sony, the anti-shake is built into the body, so old Minolta lens work just fine (I had a bunch from my old camera but you can find them on Ebay as well).

I hope this helps

~Mark
[Reply]
Linus 05:29 PM 11-25-2008
I have the XSi and have to say: it's awesome. All the pictures I post in my cigar reviews are taken with that camera and it's incredibly flexible. I use the default lens that came with for all the close ups. J&R have it on sale for $649USD
[Reply]
Cigargal 06:28 PM 11-25-2008
Originally Posted by poker:
I see that Best Buy will be having the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2-Megapixel on sale for Black Friday. Currently 799.00 but it says the sale will be 699.00

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4496

click link in first post
clink best buy logo link under "ads"
Regular price on amazon for the same camera is 699.
[Reply]
Cigargal 06:31 PM 11-25-2008
I'm a Sony fan myself-but this is her camera so I want her to have what she wants. I have nothing against Canon-I just love Sony products. Guess that makes me a Sony-ho:-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 06:36 PM 11-25-2008
Originally Posted by The Professor:
I had the model below the one you're looking at, Marianne. It was AWESOME. I really had a lot of fun with it and, even with the stock lens, took some good pics despite my complete lack of skill.

I hope Toddzilla and The Dakotan chime in -- both shoot with Canons a lot. :-)
If I had a camera question I would ask him :-)
[Reply]
ToddziLLa 06:37 PM 11-25-2008
Hey Marianne! Hope all is well with you two. :-)

My wife and I shoot Canon and love them. Unlike most fanboys though, I'm a fan of great products in general! Nikon and Sony make excellent models too, but so does Canon. :-)

I would argue the best value right now is the EOS 40D. It uses both EF and EF-S lenses and has great usability and picture quality.

Shoot me a PM if you want to chat some more about this stuff. I could go on and on and on... :-)
[Reply]
Buena Fortuna 06:57 PM 11-25-2008
I would agree on the 40D comment. The 50D is out and the 40D price has dropped making it an exceptional value.

"I would argue the best value right now is the EOS 40D. It uses both EF and EF-S lenses and has great usability and picture quality."
[Reply]
JE3146 07:14 PM 11-25-2008
Originally Posted by ToddziLLa:
Hey Marianne! Hope all is well with you two. :-)

My wife and I shoot Canon and love them. Unlike most fanboys though, I'm a fan of great products in general! Nikon and Sony make excellent models too, but so does Canon. :-)

I would argue the best value right now is the EOS 40D. It uses both EF and EF-S lenses and has great usability and picture quality.

Shoot me a PM if you want to chat some more about this stuff. I could go on and on and on... :-)
I would argue that most people don't need a 40D :-)

They're very large cameras. The XTi or XSi offers a compact DSLR that will take nearly the same photos. Only thing it will lack is some of the focusing perks or advanced options... etc. Obviously the 40D is a better package overall, but I hope my intent is clear on this :-)

In the end the lenses will make more of a difference than the body ever will. And ultimately above all that, the user :-)
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 07:16 PM 11-25-2008
Originally Posted by JE3146:
I would argue that most people don't need a 40D :-)

They're very large cameras. The XTi or XSi offers a compact DSLR that will take nearly the same photos. Only thing it will lack is some of the focusing perks or advanced options... etc. Obviously the 40D is a better package overall, but I hope my intent is clear on this :-)

In the end the lenses will make more of a difference than the body ever will. And ultimately above all that, the user :-)
need and want :-)
[Reply]
JE3146 08:35 PM 11-25-2008
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
need and want :-)
yea yea yea :-)

Personally, I consider NEEDing good lenses. A body is a body as long as it works well enough for your skill level.

I'd advise investing that extra 200-300$ into a used 70-200 f/4L or something like a 17-85IS for a nice intermediate jump over the kit lens.
[Reply]
Buena Fortuna 05:18 AM 11-26-2008
Absolutely, I agree on the lenses. However, I believe it all depends on the application as well. If you are just going to use it as an advanced P&S, then the kit lenses will meet your needs. However, if you are going to do portraits, macro, landscapes, or sports, definately save your loose change in a big jar and invest in good glass...the rewards are more than worth the $ outlay.

A must have is a nifty 50mm F1.4 or even the less expensive 1.8 for low light and indoor shots.
[Reply]
the nub 12:00 AM 11-28-2008
Best Buy in Canada had them cheaper than the US. $529.99 with the18-55mm IS lens. Crazy!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...89&catid=20222
[Reply]
MadAl 09:02 AM 11-28-2008
Originally Posted by Cigargal:
I'm a Sony fan myself-but this is her camera so I want her to have what she wants. I have nothing against Canon-I just love Sony products. Guess that makes me a Sony-ho:-)
I'm a Sony fan too, have the F505 and F828, bought other models for my spouse and my Mom.
[Reply]
hotreds 09:37 AM 11-28-2008
Check out also fredmiranda.com for very helpful advice and reviews.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up