Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>What should I be looking for?
TonyAngels 08:39 PM 07-19-2011
I'm going to be looking at some new humidors and the last one I had was really junk. This time around I want quality without breaking my bank. I'm looking for a humidor the size that can hold around 25-50 cigars. When I'm looking at these humidors what are some questions I should be asking? And what should I be looking for while I'm inspecting it that will show me it's a good humidor?
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:52 PM 07-19-2011
I would go to a local B&M (more than one if possible) and do a hands-on look (You can get a good deal on the Internet but you can't touch it or inspect it very easily...). You want to find one that is built well, has a good seal (usually a good seal can be indicated by a "whoosh" when you let the lid fall closed). The hinges should be well mounted. No cracks in the wood, etc.

I would also stay away from any thing with glass. While the glass looks nice, it's usually the weakest point in terms of a quality seal.

If you want something great and looks don't matter then I would go to your local store and pick up a tupperware or rubbermaid container -- one meant for food storage. Or a small (or large :-)) cooler. These kinds of containers seal really well, are very inexpensive, and hold a lot of cigars. They just are not as pretty as a nice wooden desktop humi.

Then you can pick up some beads for humidification... :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 09:04 PM 07-19-2011
1) drop the lid from a few inches open. It should fall shut on a cushion of air.
2) looks... if that is important to you.
3) buy at least 10 times larger than you think.
4) weight. quality wood isn't light (usually)
5) buy bigger than you need.
[Reply]
Bill86 09:24 PM 07-19-2011
I'd recommend passing on the cheap wooden $hit.

Get a cooler, ice chest, whatever you call them.

They work much better. My first wooden humidor is going to be meeting the business end of my AK-47 as soon as I get a chance. (The bottom molded out)
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 10:49 PM 07-19-2011
Or a Vino. You can get one of those for like 125 now days.
[Reply]
docdoty 10:59 PM 07-19-2011
Or talk to Ed w waxingmoon Humidor. They are the best desktop you can buy...make sure you buy bigger than you think you need it will fill up faster than you think...I started out w small humidors and spent a lot of money buying progressively bigger ones.. now I have a 2500 count freezer that I converted into a Humidor....you won't regret a cooler or vino
[Reply]
Weelok 11:13 PM 07-19-2011
150 count minimum IMHO. And I do the Vino with some hand made Spanish Cedar boxes. Coolidor and beads ftw
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:15 PM 07-19-2011
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=621

It's even a sticky. :-)
[Reply]
Up