Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>What do I need to do to make this a Humi?
BHalbrooks 08:01 PM 10-11-2012
My Brother gave me a Pelican Case that's ****ing huge. Seriously.

Now it came with a piece of Foam, but that was it. It's airtight (Hence the clamps on the front), but it does have an automatic pressure release... That kinda makes me think it'd work as a Humidor.

Below are pictures

[Reply]
mkarnold1 08:26 PM 10-11-2012
The only thing you need is cigars. Because that thing is empty!

And it's freaking awesome. I need to get me one of those.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 08:28 PM 10-11-2012
Well, what I meant more so:
What sort of foam can I use?
Do I need to go as hard as getting some shila beads?

I didn't even think about the empty picture :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:37 PM 10-11-2012
Beads won't hurt, but you can probably get by without them. It depends upon how much you are going to use the humidor. These kinds of humidors seal very well, so if you did get beads you would not need much.

No special foam. You could just put all your sticks in five-finger bags and be fine. Otherwise, most any camera-grade foam will work.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:51 PM 10-11-2012
I put Shilala beads in both my Xikar 30 and 50 count...sticks can last in there for months. :-)
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 08:56 PM 10-11-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Beads won't hurt, but you can probably get by without them. It depends upon how much you are going to use the humidor. These kinds of humidors seal very well, so if you did get beads you would not need much.

No special foam. You could just put all your sticks in five-finger bags and be fine. Otherwise, most any camera-grade foam will work.
Roger that Michael, thank you sir. Where's a good place to get Camera-Grade foam? I don't want to deal with 15 bags.
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
I put Shilala beads in both my Xikar 30 and 50 count...sticks can last in there for months. :-)
Would I need to use their calculator to get the ounce I need, or since it's sealed more than most Humidors would I use less?
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:58 PM 10-11-2012
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks:
Would I need to use their calculator to get the ounce I need, or since it's sealed more than most Humidors would I use less?
I think you could get away with a 4 oz bag for a case that size...maybe two 2 oz bags for different levels. I use one 2 oz bag in both my Xikars and sticks stay solid for months on end.:-)
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 09:00 PM 10-11-2012
When I get more foam, I'd be able to get away with making two levels right? That's what I was thinking anyways.
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:02 PM 10-11-2012
When I get more foam, I'd be able to get away with making two levels right? That's what I was thinking anyways.
Or make as many as you can...possibilities are endless. You could also just put one on top and one in bottom (to protect sticks from bouncing around). Your call on how you wish to set it up. Less foam = more sticks. Really depends on if you plan to travel with it, if not then you woudn't need any foam.
[Reply]
363 09:02 PM 10-11-2012

Now it came with a piece of Foam, but that was it. It's airtight (Hence the clamps on the front), but it does have an automatic pressure release... That kinda makes me think it'd work as a Humidor.

Below are pictures

Brotha, you will be fine, the pelican cases are deigned with auto pressure valve. What model case is it? I might be able to help you out
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 09:05 PM 10-11-2012
Pelican 1450
I know absolutely nothing about them. My Brother is in the Army, and they were throwing these away so he grabbed a couple for my Dad, him, and I.
[Reply]
363 09:08 PM 10-11-2012
Lol hit me up Monday and ill help u out with foam etc. pm me
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 09:09 PM 10-11-2012
I'll PM you on Monday, as long as I remember :-)
[Reply]
363 09:21 PM 10-11-2012
I'll PM you on Monday, as long as I remember :-)
Haha, I work with pelican & SKB cases all day long. I can get u set up with some foam
[Reply]
T.G 11:58 PM 10-11-2012

Below are pictures

That piece of foam is for the lid.

For the Pelican cases which include foam, they typically come with three pieces: a thin flat bottom layer, a large / thick body foam that is perforated so you can tear the "fingers" out to custom fit the foam to your camera, electronics or other equipment, and a piece of egg crate foam (which is what you have) for the lid.

The foam used in the pelican cases is fine for cigar storage, I used one for many, many years, never bothering to take the cigars out between herfs.
[Reply]
Up