Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Bourbon Drinkers - Which Style Do You Prefer Wheated or Rye?
RevSmoke 11:03 AM 08-28-2012
I don't know if they are wheated or rye, never paid that much attention to them.

Woodford Reserve
Eagle Rare
Buffalo Trace
Elijah Craig 12yr old (special for HiTime Wines)
Ridgemont Reserve 1792

These are the ones I like, so are they wheated or rye?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:00 PM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Wheat over Rye all day for me. Not big on bourbon, but when I do drink it, I prefer wheat. Much smoother IMO, I like the profile of them better.
Same here. Rye is a handful to drink for me.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 12:22 PM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Same here. Rye is a handful to drink for me.
Yes, Wheated Bourbons are much smoother than Rye Bourbons and some offer a slight sweetness on the finish.

Had me some Makers 46 last night, Oh Yea!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 01:15 PM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
Yes, Wheated Bourbons are much smoother than Rye Bourbons and some offer a slight sweetness on the finish.

I don't mind rye in beer or bread.
[Reply]
Zanaspus 01:18 PM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by Frodo:
I think what Zanaspus meant is that he prefers straight rye to bourbon but within the bourbon category he would prefer wheaters to ryed bourbon. At least that's what I got from it as he was responding to someone who liked Bulleit rye.
This.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:47 AM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
I don't know if they are wheated or rye, never paid that much attention to them.

Woodford Reserve
Eagle Rare
Buffalo Trace
Ridgemont Reserve 1792

So which of they ones I named are wheated?

If they are not, give me some examples of wheated bourbons. To me, the normal Makers Mark is nasty, not smooth at all. Of course, that is simply make taste/take on it.

If that is wheated, and if some of the others which I have tasted and found that I don't like (because I don't find them smooth) are wheated, then could we assume the smoothness is dependant upon individual palate?

[Reply]
Frodo 09:32 AM 08-29-2012

Woodford Reserve
Eagle Rare
Buffalo Trace
Ridgemont Reserve 1792

The ones you've mentioned are all ryed bourbons. Examples of wheaters are Makers Mark, the Van Winkle line, and the Weller line from Buffalo Trace.
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 11:09 AM 08-29-2012
So which of they ones I named are wheated?

If they are not, give me some examples of wheated bourbons. To me, the normal Makers Mark is nasty, not smooth at all. Of course, that is simply make taste/take on it.

If that is wheated, and if some of the others which I have tasted and found that I don't like (because I don't find them smooth) are wheated, then could we assume the smoothness is dependant upon individual palate?

See my post, number 12 in this thread. It has a listing of the most commonly known Wheated Bourbons.

Yes, taste is very subjective and different people, when tasting the same product, can perceive different flavor profile. However, it is commonly suggested by many bourbon drinkers that wheated bourbons do often offer a slight sweetness of the finish.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 12:48 PM 08-29-2012
Here is a list of some of the more popular Wheated Bourbon Brands:

Makers Mark
Old Weller Antique

Old Weller 107
Old Weller 12yo
Van Winkle
Old Fitzgerald
Rebel Yell
Rebel Reserve

Cabin Still
David Nicholson 1843
OK, I see this list. Of these, I've had the ones I highlighted in red. I guess then, considering the ones I like, that I'm more of a rye Bourbon drinker than wheat. For of those I highlighted, I'd only get them again if I got a real deal on them.

I find the rye Bourbons that I like to be smoother and slightly sweeter, especially in the finish, than I do the wheated ones.

Interesting!

Again, as I've said with so many other things, you have to satisfy your own palate. If you don't like it, don't try to please someone else's palate.

[Reply]
tsolomon 01:32 PM 08-29-2012
I find the rye Bourbons that I like to be smoother and slightly sweeter, especially in the finish, than I do the wheated ones.
I have found this to be the case as well.
[Reply]
pektel 01:36 PM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
I have found this to be the case as well.
+2. In the case with my personal favorite (Bulleit), I almost get a cinnamon type sweetness on the finish. Even moreso when I throw in an ice cube or 2.
[Reply]
Ken 02:06 PM 08-29-2012
Obviously there isn't a correct answer except for, "I'll have another".:-)

Rye definitely dominates the numbers, but with Buffalo Trace keeping the Pappy and Weller lines alive wheated bourbon has surged. I've pondered it myself before but no clear cut answer for me. I think this is one time I don't mind just sitting on the fence, either way I fall I land on bourbon.
[Reply]
Powers 02:21 PM 08-29-2012
I also hadn't considered whether I prefer wheat or rye. Although I do love nearly all the bourbons I have had the pleasure to taste

Also for generic info, what are the standards of Beam and Evan Williams? Wheat or Rye? Those are normally all I can afford as I am a poor grad student :-)
[Reply]
NPRCHRISTOS 02:22 PM 08-29-2012
Anyone try Devil's Cut? :-):-):-)

http://www.jimbeam.com/devils-cut
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 03:50 PM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by Powers:
I also hadn't considered whether I prefer wheat or rye. Although I do love nearly all the bourbons I have had the pleasure to taste

Also for generic info, what are the standards of Beam and Evan Williams? Wheat or Rye? Those are normally all I can afford as I am a poor grad student :-)
There are no standards with respect to how much Wheat or Rye is used when making a Wheated Bourbon vs a Rye Bourbon. The only know standards are that Wheat and Rye are never mixed to create a Bourbon and that if it's going to be a Bourbon, not a plain Whiskey, it must contain a minimum of 51% Corn.
[Reply]
Powers 09:14 PM 08-29-2012
There are no standards with respect to how much Wheat or Rye is used when making a Wheated Bourbon vs a Rye Bourbon. The only know standards are that Wheat and Rye are never mixed to create a Bourbon and that if it's going to be a Bourbon, not a plain Whiskey, it must contain a minimum of 51% Corn.
Ah ok. But where are Jim Beam and Evan Williams in the wheat vs rye bourbons, respectively?
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 09:38 PM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by Powers:
Ah ok. But where are Jim Beam and Evan Williams in the wheat vs rye bourbons, respectively?
They are both considered to be in the Rye category.
[Reply]
Frodo 08:34 AM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by NPRCHRISTOS:
Anyone try Devil's Cut? :-):-):-)

http://www.jimbeam.com/devils-cut
I only tried a sample but I thought it was pretty decent. Nothing I'd rush out to get, but if it was on sale I might spring for it.
[Reply]
cowboyjeans 11:35 AM 09-03-2012
Bulleit or Bulleit Rye.. They are probably my favorite go to bourbons right now. The Rye has a floral quality about it. The Regular one has a cinnamon spice and taste to it.
[Reply]
Parshooter 09:26 AM 09-12-2012
Definitly rye. Bulleit is my go to. I love the Sazarac also (BTAC and regular production).
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up