Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Best Beers in America 2012
kaisersozei 08:47 AM 07-03-2012
For the past 10 years, the American Homebrewers Association has surveyed its membership to determine the most popular commercial beers available in the US. IMO, the survey is slightly skewed, as those people voting are homebrewers and most homebrewers these days seem to favor highly hopped varieties of beer. :-) You'll note that at least 7 of the top 10 are IPAs/Imperial IPAs.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...ers-in-america

The brewery rankings (very California-centric) and portfolios (most brands represented in the voting) are interesting.

Enjoy a cold one!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:50 AM 07-03-2012
Wow, and I have actually had most of them is as equally impressive. I don't think of myself as a beer maven either. It is a highly hopped list.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 09:05 AM 07-03-2012
While I may disagree with the order they are in. I cant disagree with the beers on that list. All are great!

* Im surprised that Boulevard is not represented at all! Tank 7 anyone????
[Reply]
irratebass 10:07 AM 07-03-2012
Thanks, sent this home so I can have it for reference
[Reply]
icehog3 10:43 AM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
You'll note that at least 7 of the top 10 are IPAs/Imperial IPAs.
Good to know, Gerard, I can skip even opening the list. :-)
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 10:47 AM 07-03-2012
...dunno, they put Fat Tire AHEAD of Deschutes "Black Butte Porter" and Deschutes "The Abyss" didn't even make the list. Hmm.....

Yes, The Abyss is darn hard to find, but any "best beer" list that omits it completely is...questionable, IMHO.....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/34420
[Reply]
Blindjimme 10:57 AM 07-03-2012
It's #28 Tom.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 10:59 AM 07-03-2012
That list is way off for me..
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 11:53 AM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by Blindjimme:
It's #28 Tom.
...whoops; you are absolutely correct....:-)

Still think it ought to be way, way higher than #28 but that is "one man's opinion".....:-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:53 PM 07-04-2012
Nice to see my town well represented!!!:-)
[Reply]
Bill86 03:35 PM 07-04-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Good choice :-)

Yeah it is IPA heavy, also not sure how they pegged the Arrogant Bastard higher than the Double Bastard. I think the list is going by popularity and not taste.

Should rename it to "The Most Popular Beers In America 2012".
[Reply]
OLS 06:36 AM 07-05-2012
I have had a few of those, and somehow missed a lot more of em. If I was a voracious beer drinker with
good connections, I guess I could have had more. I DO like the Old Rasputin and the Yeti and all Bastards
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 07:42 AM 07-05-2012
I have tried a lot of them and find the list to be very Subjective.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 07:48 AM 07-05-2012
Flying Dog only made the Best Portfolio list. Their beers are some of my favorites. Old Scratch is fantastic.

MCS
[Reply]
mmblz 11:47 AM 07-05-2012
I bet it's skewed by distribution / availability.
Otherwise I can't fathom the high ranking of so many SN beers.
Don't get me wrong, they're good, but not THAT good...
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:26 PM 07-05-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Agreed, I am not a fan of IPA's either. I don't get IPAs but more power to people who do, more for you.
[Reply]
forgop 12:28 PM 07-05-2012
They must compile their rankings the same way CA does-allowing the brewers to vote with their dollars.
[Reply]
OLS 12:48 PM 07-05-2012
I'll say one thing about the list, it certainly got me online and thinking hard about ordering some beer for
my trip to the Smokies. I tried to dabble on that list a bit but it seemed no one had everything I wanted
and it looked like I was going to have to choose two sites to get it all in. In the end, though, I decided that
YETI was the only thing I couldn't get on one site, so I would just forego the Yeti and get what I knew I had
to get. That was easy once I realized that my only dealbreaker rack was the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout. I was
not going to compromise on that. And since its SURELY very Yeti-esque, I blew off the Yeti today...

I guess I need to post it in Beerhauls.
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:47 PM 07-06-2012
Originally Posted by mmblz:
I bet it's skewed by distribution / availability.
Otherwise I can't fathom the high ranking of so many SN beers.
Don't get me wrong, they're good, but not THAT good...
:-)
[Reply]
shark 11:51 AM 07-07-2012
I dunno, I tend to agree with this survey, probably the first time I ever did! Bell's, Dogfish Head, Stone Brewing, Sierra Nevada IMO are world class brewers.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up