Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Storage for a couple great beers...
dwoodward 08:03 PM 05-11-2012
Fathers day is right around the corner. I have nabbed up my father a couple good cigars, and a couple great bottles of beer. The cigars, everyone knows how to store. However, the beer I am a little sketchy on.

I had picked up a bottle of Deschutes The Abyss and Deschutes Black Butte XXIII for him for fathers day. Descutes is his favorite brewery and loves the regular Black Butte Porter they make. However, I know these beers are meant to age. How should I be storing them over the next month?

I have had them in my fridge for now, but I got to wondering tonight, does this delay the aging process? Is it best to store at room temp? So many questions, and I can't find anything on google about it.

Help? :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 08:08 PM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Fathers day is right around the corner. I have nabbed up my father a couple good cigars, and a couple great bottles of beer. The cigars, everyone knows how to store. However, the beer I am a little sketchy on.

I had picked up a bottle of Deschutes The Abyss and Deschutes Black Butte XXIII for him for fathers day. Descutes is his favorite brewery and loves the regular Black Butte Porter they make. However, I know these beers are meant to age. How should I be storing them over the next month?

I have had them in my fridge for now, but I got to wondering tonight, does this delay the aging process? Is it best to store at room temp? So many questions, and I can't find anything on google about it.

Help? :-)
They won't age in a month. The fridge is fine. Room temp will be fine. Just avoid extremes. If your father truly plans on aging them (6 mos to a year or more) I would suggest something like a vino temp or wine fridge to store them at cellar temps - much like wine.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:11 PM 05-11-2012
What Peter said.
[Reply]
dwoodward 08:12 PM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
They won't age in a month. The fridge is fine. Room temp will be fine. Just avoid extremes. If your father truly plans on aging them (6 mos to a year or more) I would suggest something like a vino temp or wine fridge to store them at cellar temps - much like wine.
Thank you Peter. I highly doubt he will age them, he will most likely drink them fresh. For his birthday last month I included a few bottles of brews and he drank them all over the next week, commenting on each one. So I suspect the same from this. I just keep them in my fridge for now then, at least they will be cold and ready when I give them to him on fathers day. :-)
[Reply]
SteelCityBoy 05:57 AM 05-12-2012
I brew my own beer and typically store it in the basement or the coolest part of the house before I am ready to drink it and then it goes in the refrigerator. Usually freshly brewed beer requires more time to finish the fermination process once bottle conditioned and refrigerating too soon slows that process down. However, most store bought beers are already fully fermented and are good to go when bought so storing it wherever you like as long as it's not your freezer or the attic in the middle of July should be good! :-)

Enjoy! :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 10:01 AM 05-12-2012
I normally store my beer in my belly. It may not age the brew, but it's done that job on me. :-)
[Reply]
Up