Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Favorite NV Champagnes
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:41 AM 03-06-2012
What do you guys like for NV bubbles? I'd take Krug almost every time, but it's a little pricey for a NV to drink on a regular basis.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 05:46 PM 03-06-2012
No one drinks champagne?:-)
[Reply]
Ismith75 06:05 PM 03-06-2012
Perriere Jouet Grand Brut is great. Has paired nicely with a few smokes too :-)
[Reply]
Zanaspus 07:17 AM 03-07-2012
I've been out of wine for a few years now, but my favorite NV was always Veuve-Cliquot.

If you're not hung up on champagne per se, find a good wine shop and ask. I remember having several Australian bubblies that blew French NV away for lots less money. Unfortunately I am old and name retention was never my strong suit.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:56 AM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Zanaspus:
I've been out of wine for a few years now, but my favorite NV was always Veuve-Cliquot.

If you're not hung up on champagne per se, find a good wine shop and ask. I remember having several Australian bubblies that blew French NV away for lots less money. Unfortunately I am old and name retention was never my strong suit.
I'd be interested to know which Aussie bottles blew away French. I've never had any sparkling wine from Australia, but I'm interested now.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:05 AM 03-07-2012
My two favorites are Taittinger and Philipponnat Royal Reserve. Pierre Peters and Henriot both make great NV's... So, there are four good ones to choose from for me.
[Reply]
alwayslit 10:08 AM 03-07-2012
Bollinger
[Reply]
Zanaspus 03:56 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
I'd be interested to know which Aussie bottles blew away French. I've never had any sparkling wine from Australia, but I'm interested now.
As I mentioned in my post, if I remembered them, I'd tell you. I was lucky enough to have a wine proprietor who tasted everything that the vendor powers that be put in front of him. Mike would then buy what was objectively good and not overpriced. It took me years to find such a vendor who was more interested in customers vs. bottom line. It takes a lot of shopping, but they are out there. If you find one, cherish him.

Very sorry I can't be of more help. :-)
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:56 PM 03-08-2012
I'm gonna sound like a dope, but what does NV stand for?
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 06:58 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by TJtorpedo:
I'm gonna sound like a dope, but what does NV stand for?
Non Vintage
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 06:59 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by Zanaspus:
As I mentioned in my post, if I remembered them, I'd tell you. I was lucky enough to have a wine proprietor who tasted everything that the vendor powers that be put in front of him. Mike would then buy what was objectively good and not overpriced. It took me years to find such a vendor who was more interested in customers vs. bottom line. It takes a lot of shopping, but they are out there. If you find one, cherish him.

Very sorry I can't be of more help. :-)
No worries. I'm going to be checking out some sparklers from down under soon.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 07:00 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
My two favorites are Taittinger and Philipponnat Royal Reserve. Pierre Peters and Henriot both make great NV's... So, there are four good ones to choose from for me.
Thanks Moses. Taittinger is solid stuff. I'll see if I can find some Henroit locally.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:18 AM 03-09-2012
Thanks Moses. Taittinger is solid stuff. I'll see if I can find some Henroit locally.
There are many boutique brands that have NV's, have tried a few, but what I listed are all easy to find and no one would give a thumb's down to.
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:58 PM 03-09-2012
Non Vintage
Ah. Thanks!

I guess I'm not much of a champagne drinker, but I do enjoy them, as well as Persecos and Cavas. Regarding Australian sparklers, I had one several years ago called Lorikeet, I believe (or maybe it was from New Zealand)? I remember it being pretty good, but for all I know it may have been the Australian version of Cooks...
[Reply]
deborahclark 01:58 AM 04-17-2012
My vote for Perriere Jouet Grand Brut. It's pretty good.
[Reply]
Tredegar 02:19 PM 06-13-2012
For me, I really enjoy a Korbel Moscatto Frizzante. It used to be available only at their winery but I see that you can get it from them online now.
[Reply]
Up