Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
All Cigar Discussion>Miss-Used Cigar Term! STOGIE?
markem 03:46 PM 11-21-2016
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
You call it what you want; I'm callin' it a stogie!:-)
:-)
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 03:54 PM 11-21-2016
I call them penis

Who cares, really.
[Reply]
markem 04:05 PM 11-21-2016
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
I call them penis
or demi-tasse in your case :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 04:35 PM 11-21-2016
Originally Posted by croatan:
Cigar smokers get a bad enough rap as it is without going out of our way to be unnecessarily pedantic.
I had to look it up. :-)

Originally Posted by markem:
or demi-tasse in your case :-)
That made me laugh out loud at work. :-)
[Reply]
markem 04:54 PM 11-21-2016
Originally Posted by icehog3:
That made me laugh out loud at work. :-)
I aim to please, Huy excepted... :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 03:34 PM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda:
I call them penis
I can't that believe no one has asked the obvious question. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 03:37 PM 11-22-2016
I can't that believe no one has asked the obvious question. :-)
Maduros?
[Reply]
Subvet642 03:40 PM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by T.G:
Maduros?
Candelas?
[Reply]
T.G 03:42 PM 11-22-2016
Candelas?
Pretty sure you can't go back to candellas after you've had maduros.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 02:59 PM 11-23-2016
You guys are fun. :-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 03:47 PM 11-23-2016
Originally Posted by T.G:
Pretty sure you can't go back to candellas after you've had maduros.
[Reply]
Stinky 05:48 PM 11-23-2016
Thanks for all your candid opinions!
I hoped for some candid opinions on the article for new cigar (Stogie) smokers.

Agree:
Call it what you want. Just thought some people may want to know the true origin and meaning of the word Stogie.
Use of the term (Stogie) is one's choice and certainly conveys the thought.

Curious:
Had to look up apocryphal. Ok, why would the origin of Stogie be apocryphal? Credible sources include Lew Rothman's Book: "Cigar Almanac" . . . Patricia Cooper's Book: "Once a Cigar Maker" (historical documentation) . . . Richard Hacker's Book: "The Ultimate Cigar Book" . . . and many more, all confirm the origin and history of Stogie. Definitely not an apocryphal.

I always thought Cigar Asylum forbid nasty or insulting posts. I shared my personal opinion ("IMPO") and someone had to object with some juvenile insults! . . . then argued with opposing views from others!

The cigar world is loaded with detailed information, trivia, history, legends and traditions, as well as numerous myths & misconceptions. I just thought this is an appropriate place to discuss such topics.

It was/is never my intention to tell anyone how to speak or what words to use! That article written to inform new cigar smokers is . . . well . . . go read it and tell us what you think! I have an opinion and would like to know what you think, because . . . I'm Stinky!
[Reply]
icehog3 12:05 AM 11-24-2016
Well, if I had known Dick Hacker confirmed it, I never would have tried to make light.
[Reply]
hotreds 06:15 AM 11-24-2016
Originally Posted by porch dweller:
sticks, smokes, stogies, cigars...i use them all interchangeably. If i've inadvertently offended someone by doing so...well, that doesn't bother me at all. :d
+1765412387

The article is, in fact, a bit pedantic; I would never say "(E)vacuating the stogie’s mark" for removing the cigar band! It does require some effort to plow through! I can only imagine what their instructions for smoking a pipe would read!
[Reply]
kydsid 06:55 AM 11-24-2016
Originally Posted by croatan:
Cigar smokers get a bad enough rap as it is without going out of our way to be unnecessarily pedantic.
Hey we'd have to throw out half the conversations at a herf if being pedantic wasn't allowed. :-)
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:17 AM 11-24-2016
Originally Posted by Stinky:
I always thought Cigar Asylum forbid nasty or insulting posts. I shared my personal opinion ("IMPO") and someone had to object with some juvenile insults! . . . then argued with opposing views from others!
Nasty and insulting? Wow, we've got VERY different concepts of what those adjectives mean.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:20 AM 11-24-2016
Originally Posted by hotreds:
+1765412387

The article is, in fact, a bit pedantic; I would never say "(E)vacuating the stogie’s mark" for removing the cigar band! It does require some effort to plow through! I can only imagine what their instructions for smoking a pipe would read!
"Evacuating the stogie's mark" goes far beyond pedantic and plants its flag firmly in the land of incredibly pretentious twaddle.
[Reply]
T.G 08:05 AM 11-24-2016
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Well, if I had known Dick Hacker confirmed it, I never would have tried to make light.
Can't argue with the Dick Hacker.
[Reply]
T.G 08:07 AM 11-24-2016
Originally Posted by Stinky:
Thanks for all your candid opinions!
I hoped for some candid opinions on the article for new cigar (Stogie) smokers.

Agree:
Call it what you want. Just thought some people may want to know the true origin and meaning of the word Stogie.
Use of the term (Stogie) is one's choice and certainly conveys the thought.

Curious:
Had to look up apocryphal. Ok, why would the origin of Stogie be apocryphal? Credible sources include Lew Rothman's Book: "Cigar Almanac" . . . Patricia Cooper's Book: "Once a Cigar Maker" (historical documentation) . . . Richard Hacker's Book: "The Ultimate Cigar Book" . . . and many more, all confirm the origin and history of Stogie. Definitely not an apocryphal.

The cigar world is loaded with detailed information, trivia, history, legends and traditions, as well as numerous myths & misconceptions. I just thought this is an appropriate place to discuss such topics.

It was/is never my intention to tell anyone how to speak or what words to use! That article written to inform new cigar smokers is . . . well . . . go read it and tell us what you think! I have an opinion and would like to know what you think, because . . . I'm Stinky!

Inane prattle comes in multiple forms, yo.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:14 AM 11-24-2016
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
Nasty and insulting? Wow, we've got VERY different concepts of what those adjectives mean.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up