Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Duty Free Habanos
Porch Dweller 07:45 AM 12-12-2016
My wife, I, and some family just returned from a Western Caribbean cruise. Apparently, Habanos S.A. and Duty Free now have an agreement so some Cubans are being stocked. There were large displays of them in the DF shops in Costa Maya, Mexico and Harvest Caye, Belize. For reference, we cruised through Costa Maya in November 2015 and there were no Cubans in the DF then.

Also, the customs form was changed sometime in the last six months. We returned from an overseas trip in May and on the form under tobacco allowance it said "Up to 100 cigars". It now says "Up to 100 cigars (50 Cuban)".

The times, they are a-changin', my friends. :-)
[Reply]
Footbag 07:49 AM 12-12-2016
Didn't the number of cigars allowed become unlimited? I've seen it both ways.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:57 AM 12-12-2016
Originally Posted by Footbag:
Didn't the number of cigars allowed become unlimited? I've seen it both ways.
50 is the amount you can bring back without having to pay any customs duty. If you bring back more than that then you have to declare it and may owe Uncle Sugar some money.
[Reply]
massphatness 10:08 AM 12-12-2016
It's actually 100 cigars (and up to $800- in value) every 31 days. After that a 4% duty applies -- so technically, you can bring as much as you'd like back to the states provided it's for personal consumption.

Good article here on Cigar Aficionado: Limits Slashed On Cuban Cigars:
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:45 AM 12-12-2016
Originally Posted by massphatness:
It's actually 100 cigars (and up to $800- in value) every 31 days. After that a 4% duty applies -- so technically, you can bring as much as you'd like back to the states provided it's for personal consumption.

Good article here on Cigar Aficionado: Limits Slashed On Cuban Cigars:
:-)

This is what I was told when I came back into the country last week.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 11:19 AM 12-12-2016
Good info, thanks for clarifying.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:41 PM 12-12-2016
Can Habanos be brought into the US, but not bought from a Duty Free? Let's say I was at cigar store in Europe and wanted to bring cigars home. Can this be done on the "up and up" now?
[Reply]
massphatness 12:42 PM 12-12-2016
Yes - as long as YOU bring them back. You can't ship them.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:43 PM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Yes - as long as YOU bring them back. You can't ship them.
I was planning on visiting B&M's like Portmann, Gesto, or Gerard. It's needs to be a box I can't easily get online or why bother?
[Reply]
Up