Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Curly Head Deluxe...
Remo 08:24 AM 08-28-2016
Any of you guys AF Curly Head smokers? Looking for a tasty cheap box and these have some good reviews. Thoughts?
[Reply]
borndead1 09:15 AM 08-28-2016
It has been many years since I had one, but they weren't bad when I smoked them.
[Reply]
T.G 09:51 AM 08-28-2016
Originally Posted by borndead1:
It has been many years since I had one, but they weren't bad when I smoked them.
This is my recollection also, not bad, but not good either. Really one-dimensional and kind of boring. Was just kind of "there".

To be honest with you though Mike, if it were me, at $100 for a box of 40 AF Curly Heads, I'd shell out the 30-cents more per cigar to get a a box of 25 JR Ultimates Petite Coronas or Petite Cetros for $70. Long filler, choice of wrappers, just a better cigar IMO all the way around. Not quite as big a cigar, but being long filler, it'll burn just as long or longer. If I wanted short and disposable, JR Habanitos @ $35 for a box of 24 can't be beat. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:14 AM 08-28-2016
Awwh crap.... I just noticed you asked about Curly Head Deluxe, which is the long filler cheapie from Fuente.

What I recall is that they were certainly better than the short fill Curly Heads, kind of had a bit of that "Fuente flavor", certainly no 858 or "green band" (Cuban Corona, Chateau, Exquisito, etc) Fuente though. In the end though, I was disappointed because for 2/3 the cost of the 858 or "green band", they were less than half the cigar. There was a huge difference between those two levels.

So, for the money, I'd still go with the JR Ultimates, or step up to the other Fuentes. I guess it's all about what you like, I don't smoke just to smoke, I'm after flavor and if I wanted a bargain, the Exquisitos at $2/stick or the Ultimates Habanitos at $1.40/cigar are both insane little flavor bombs.
[Reply]
Remo 10:21 AM 08-28-2016
I'll take a look Adam, thanks. Looking for a good fishing smoke that still tastes good.
[Reply]
Steve 08:35 PM 08-28-2016
Not a bad "dog walking" smoke. There are better, but I have enjoyed a few of these during our 3 mile nightly strolls to check the pee-mail.
[Reply]
oldforge 04:47 PM 08-29-2016
Exquisitos are a _much_ better choice imho--and they will last long enough for a dog walk.
[Reply]
jjirons69 06:31 AM 08-30-2016
Used to smoke a lot of the CHD maduros years ago. They were cheap and they fit the bill for being tossed around in a boat or fighting the steering wheel on a lawnmower. I liked the flavor of them. Deep in my brain I just knew they were clippings from Opus X and Fuente Hemingways. I just knew it.
[Reply]
Steve 07:04 AM 08-30-2016
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
Used to smoke a lot of the CHD maduros years ago. They were cheap and they fit the bill for being tossed around in a boat or fighting the steering wheel on a lawnmower. I liked the flavor of them. Deep in my brain I just knew they were clippings from Opus X and Fuente Hemingways. I just knew it.
:-):-) :-)
[Reply]
Zeavran1 09:09 PM 09-28-2016
CHD was the first cigar I ever bought. Had good flavor when I was a new smoker. Probably a great yardwork smoke for me now. Maybe I'll pick one up for old times sake.
[Reply]
bmayyy 07:20 AM 10-04-2016
Mediocre smoke at best, I think it will be a fine fishing smoke.
[Reply]
longknocker 07:32 AM 10-04-2016
I Never Liked The Curly Heads, Even When I Just Started Smoking Cigars & Didn't Know Any Better!:-):-). I Do Like The JR Ultimates, Though. IMO, I Would Buy Them, Or Better, Still, Stay With The Real Thing, "Fuentes"!:-) Why Smoke A "Cheap Stick" If It Doesn't Taste Good???:-)
[Reply]
Flynnster 06:16 PM 10-04-2016
For a regular, who cares if I don't finish it, they are some of my favorites. A step up from the regular curly heads, which I also don't mind.
[Reply]
Up