Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Sports>Red Sox 2012
VTDragon 01:01 PM 02-21-2012
A new manager, a new spring training complex, a new, (yet to be determined) shortstop, hopefully a new attitude by the pitching staff, a new closer and a new general manager. It's been an interesting off season for the boys who inhabit the oldest park in baseball -(you know that you'll be sick of the 100 year anniversary stuff by May 1st).
It seems that Bobby V. is determined that the guys are going to work a bit harder this spring than they did in Tito's camp. That's probably a very good thing, especially if it avoids the type of disastrous start they got off to last year.
Some random thoughts:
I think Carl Crawford , (once healthy) will bounce back to his normal production.
I hope that Iglasias gets a real chance to compete for the SS job and that if he does not win it outright he gets sent back to AAA to improve his hitting. He can't learn to hit consistantly by riding the major league bench.
Can either of the other SS's in camp play 3rd? I hope so because Youk is getting old, spent a lot of time injured last year and could stand to be given a rest every few days.
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Bard becoming a quality starter. He relies too much on his fastball and needs to really trust his changeup if he is going to start. I see him going back to thebullpen once Dice K is healthy.
Aceves, on the other hand, will do fine.
It will be nice to not have to suffer through another Lackey outing.
We'll miss Papelbon, but New England native Andrew Bailey should assure not much of a drop-off in production.
Both glad and sad to see Wakefield retire. A great guy, but obviously his time has come and gone. (Now Varitek needs to face reality too)
Well, lots more to speculate on, but let the games begin and we'll see how it goes. If nothing else, it will be interesting.
[Reply]
Subvet642 01:39 PM 02-21-2012
I agree with just about everything, but I won't miss Pap. He made have had the numbers, but they were all ugly saves (hits, runs, walks) and if he didn't have a good defense behind him...

BTW, I thought Varitek was already gone.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 09:27 PM 02-21-2012
I'm excited for the season. I believe my Fiancee and I are going to be able to go to the 100th Year game... to start hahaha.
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 05:53 AM 02-23-2012
cant wait to get the year rolling. I think we will be ok without paps in the 9th but I really would like to see Bard in the 8th and not as a starter. Would like to see Lackey and Dice K make their way out of Boston but I dont think that will happen this year. Hopefully Jacoby can produce the sort of numbers he put up last year and everyone else stays healthy, the offense should be pretty good if that happens.
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 11:57 AM 02-23-2012
I'm definitely ready for some baseball to start!
[Reply]
Dave128 12:30 PM 02-23-2012
I miss Bobby V.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:49 PM 02-23-2012
Would love to Dice K do something this season. I think he's exciting to watch when he's pitching decent. He goes for the strike out every time.
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:09 PM 02-23-2012
I really believe Cody Ross is gonna be a great pick-up for the Sox.
[Reply]
tenbaseg 06:36 PM 02-23-2012
I picked up tickets to a few games this year. Let's hope they can compete in the east this year.
[Reply]
VTDragon 10:47 AM 03-12-2012
OK spring training proceeds and I read the reports from Fenway South daily looking for some reason NOT to be optimistic about the coming season. So far, not much bad news.
The pitchers are doing well, (save a minor setback for Andrew Miller), Iglasias is not only playing superb short- but is hitting, Bobby V seems to have invoked a new work ethic that the vets have bought into, Papi is hitting, even Dice K seems to be ahead of schedule, the Bard experiment is working, there is real competition for the 5th starter slot, (not just the least objectionable choice, but actually some viable good choices), Bailey pitched well after a slight delay, Carl Crawford is rehabbing nicely and seems receptive to Bobbu V's advice, Ross looks like a good fit for right field. Can you tell it's spring? Everything seems peaches and cream, or am I just dillusional?
[Reply]
Subvet642 10:50 AM 03-12-2012
Originally Posted by VTDragon:
... Can you tell it's spring? Everything seems peaches and cream, or am I just delusional?
Like the rest of us...a little of both.
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 12:57 PM 03-12-2012
Spring training seems to be about Bobby V a real media whore.
[Reply]
TJtorpedo 06:38 PM 03-12-2012
Anything to get Sep '11 out of my head is a good thing!

I like Bobby V in the fold. He'll take plenty of the media heat and hopefully deflect it as much as possible from the players.
[Reply]
VTDragon 09:30 AM 03-20-2012
So here is THE question for spring 2012. Should Jose Iglasias stick with the big club and start the season as the Red Sox starting SS or should he spend some more time in Pawtucket working on his hitting?

My vote.... Start him in the Majors!

My expectation .... he'll be in Pawtucket to begin the season and will be brought up at the first available opportunity (virtually any injury to a non-pitcher).
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 02:50 PM 03-20-2012
In the old days he would play,but the SS position has changed over the years and know you have to be able to have an average higher then your weight.
You might see him sometime during the season?
[Reply]
VTDragon 02:56 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by VTDragon:
.... he'll be in Pawtucket to begin the season and will be brought up at the first available opportunity (virtually any injury to a non-pitcher).
Originally Posted by Bruins Fan:
In the old days he would play,but the SS position has changed over the years and know you have to be able to have an average higher then your weight.
You might see him sometime during the season?
We're both right, too bad he would have been fun to watch. We will see him some time this season though.
Now, same question about Lavarnway except he can hit but his defense is questionable. I hope they say adios to Shoppach and keep him. (but I really think he'll follow Iglasias to Pawtucket).
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 03:48 PM 03-27-2012
Bobby V is coming off as a first class assclown and I think his run in Boston is going to be very short?
[Reply]
taltos 06:11 AM 03-28-2012
Bobby V is coming off as a first class assclown and I think his run in Boston is going to be very short?
One can only hope. This is the most unlikeable Red Sox team since some of the teams in the late '50's.
[Reply]
jjmitchem 01:25 PM 03-28-2012
I cannot wait for the season to get going. I just wish there was pro team in Hawaii they were playing so I could see them. I can still remember my first game at Fenway - 1976 vs the Angels.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:01 PM 03-28-2012

Well, maybe he's trying to take some heat off of Lackey, who's not only one-armed but also one-legged at present, what with that foot in his mouth. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up