Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 42 of 138
« First < 32404142 43445292 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
pnoon 11:52 PM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by timj219:
I thought at first that if I just learned a few technical terms and rules of thumb and identified a few smokes I like I could just order boxes of those and I'd be all set. Now I'm starting to get the idea that it will take me years to hunt down and sample all the cigars that seem intriguing. What a shame :-)
It's no shame. It's an adventure.

Remember, it's about the journey. Not the destination.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:55 PM 07-27-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:

Izz true! Izz true!!! :-)
[Reply]
T.G 12:05 AM 07-28-2010

Yep. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 12:12 AM 07-28-2010

Peter is wise. :-)

It is not advisable to buy boxes when you are starting out on this trek. What you like today you may find does not appeal to you in a few months. Some find it useful to keep a journal of the cigars they have tried. Then sample others of the same brand to see if it is a brand that appeals to you across the board. But also take note of the wrapper type and the country of origin of the tobacco.
For instance if you find an Oliva you like, try other Oliva's in different wrappers or blends. And take note that Oliva is made from Nicaraguan tobacco and try others using the same tobacco, they wont all taste the same.
Check out the Newbie Sampler Trade as a good way to taste what others are smoking. Sample as many different cigars as you can until you start narrowing down your tastes and developing your palate. Read reviews of the cigars you smoke to see if you taste similar things. Have fun and enjoy the ride. :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 04:13 AM 07-28-2010
Great Advice, Peter, Tom, & bobarian!:-) I Only Buy Boxes When I'm sure I Love the stick after at least 5 smokes of that particular gar!:-)
[Reply]
timj219 10:18 AM 08-02-2010
I haven't been keeping cigars at home for very long so I thought I would run this by all of you.
I've got a tupperdor and I've had maybe 20 different kinds of cigar in it for anywhere from a couple days to a couple months. It seems to me that some of my cigars have burn problems if stored for more than a few days unless I take them out of the humi a day or two ahead of time. Others work great right from the humi. The problem seems to be most obvious so far with my partagas spanish rosados. Even if I don't have burn problems it seems like the head gets moist as I smoke it sometimes.
I'm getting ready to buy some two way beads and a digital hygrometer and I'm wondering if I should get some 60% beads as well as 70% and keep two humidors? One for storage and one for "ready to smoke" cigars? Or maybe even get a box with no humidification at all? Is this all in my head or do some cigars hold more moisture than others?
[Reply]
T.G 10:29 AM 08-02-2010
I would just keep everything at the same humidity (60%-65%), much simpler that way.

Some cigars do take longer to shed/gain excess moisture due to how they are rolled and what type or thickness of tobacco leaf is used in their construction as not all leaves shed/gain moisture at the same rate, nor will they all hold the same amount of water.
[Reply]
timj219 11:07 AM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
I would just keep everything at the same humidity (60%-65%), much simpler that way.

Some cigars do take longer to shed/gain excess moisture due to how they are rolled and what type or thickness of tobacco leaf is used in their construction as not all leaves shed/gain moisture at the same rate, nor will they all hold the same amount of water.
It's good to know there are variations in the cigars and it's not just me.
So I won't need any 70% at all? I like that. The gel humidification I'm using now is 70 and that seems like the default when looking at the products online. Is the choice of 60 or 65 strictly personal or are there reasons to go with one or the other?
[Reply]
pektel 11:10 AM 08-02-2010
What I've read is that the draw is easier, you get a better burn, and the flavors are more pronounced when smoking a cigar from a 60-65%rh humi.

I am a total NOOB myself though. Just going by what I'm reading.
[Reply]
T.G 11:11 AM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by timj219:
So I won't need any 70% at all? I like that. The gel humidification I'm using now is 70 and that seems like the default when looking at the products online. Is the choice of 60 or 65 strictly personal or are there reasons to go with one or the other?
60% or 65% seems to be more about personal preference than anything else.
[Reply]
T.G 11:19 AM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by pektel:
What I've read is that the draw is easier, you get a better burn, and the flavors are more pronounced when smoking a cigar from a 60-65%rh humi.
Compared to 70%, yeah, pretty much. Plus, at 70% you are very close to the humidity levels necessary to cultivate mold, a little innacuracy on the reading and after a few days to a few weeks like that, and you could have mold forming on your cigars.

Difference between 60% and 65% is more about personal preferences though, and some people prefer their cigars even drier than that.
[Reply]
Chris. 02:06 PM 08-02-2010
Mine sits at 67% and I haven't tried anything lower than that, but I haven't had near as many burn issues at 67 as I did at 70
[Reply]
bsmokin 02:18 PM 08-02-2010
I've had 24 Oz of 65% HCM Beads in my Edgestar 28 humi for about 3 weeks now. I've calibrated my hydro. The thing _still_ reads 69%. How long does it take for most people to see it come down to 65%? Does this mean I somehow have a leak? My drain plug is plugged quite well at this point....
[Reply]
icehog3 02:23 PM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by bsmokin:
I've had 24 Oz of 65% HCM Beads in my Edgestar 28 humi for about 3 weeks now. I've calibrated my hydro. The thing _still_ reads 69%. How long does it take for most people to see it come down to 65%? Does this mean I somehow have a leak? My drain plug is plugged quite well at this point....
A leak would more likely cause your humidity to be lower, Bryan, so I am thinking it's something else. Were your cigars overhumidified prior to having the beads? What company are the HCM beads made by, I am not sure if I am familiar with them. And what method did you use to calibrate your hygrometer?
[Reply]
bsmokin 02:32 PM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
A leak would more likely cause your humidity to be lower, Bryan, so I am thinking it's something else. Were your cigars overhumidified prior to having the beads? What company are the HCM beads made by, I am not sure if I am familiar with them. And what method did you use to calibrate your hygrometer?
Thanks for the reply Tom. Got the beads through this site: http://hcmcigarbeads.com/... Michael (CigarNut). The reason I say a leak is cuz the RH in my basement where my cigars are is actually higher. I don't see how a leak is possible though. That was part of the reason I went with a fridgador... figured that was a 'sealed' as you could get. I calibrated with a 75.5% Boveda kit. My cigars were overhumified prior... that's part of the reason I got these beads... had different ones before that didn't seem to be cutting it. Maybe it's just not enough time?
[Reply]
timj219 02:42 PM 08-02-2010
The reason I say a leak is cuz the RH in my basement where my cigars are is actually higher.
I hear that. The dehumidifier in my basement runs 24/7 all spring and summer. We've had rain every day for a couple weeks now and that surely doesn't help. I've moved my cigars to the bedroom to enjoy the A/C.
[Reply]
kydsid 02:42 PM 08-02-2010
Well first every time you open it in a higher humidity environment you are allowing humidity into the cooler. Second edgestars etc are not air tight. The cooling system has an intake and exhaust. If you are not running it in the basement because it is cool enough down there I would plug it in and run the unit. The reason is through the cooling unit being on it will dehumidify the incoming air.

My unit runs 24/7 in an environment with higher ambient humidity. It took several months of operation for all of the cigars and drawers to reach equilibrium. But I have been rocking 65% humidity for over a year and haven't added any water to the beads in that whole time.
[Reply]
bsmokin 02:51 PM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Well first every time you open it in a higher humidity environment you are allowing humidity into the cooler. Second edgestars etc are not air tight. The cooling system has an intake and exhaust. If you are not running it in the basement because it is cool enough down there I would plug it in and run the unit. The reason is through the cooling unit being on it will dehumidify the incoming air.

My unit runs 24/7 in an environment with higher ambient humidity. It took several months of operation for all of the cigars and drawers to reach equilibrium. But I have been rocking 65% humidity for over a year and haven't added any water to the beads in that whole time.
Wow. I'm a moron. I really thought these things were air tight. Jeeze. So... then I have a serious concern about running the fridge... What about condensation!?!? I've seen post about this...

Do you have condensation problems in your fridgador?
[Reply]
icehog3 02:53 PM 08-02-2010
Looks like Jason has a lot more experience with your set-up than I do, Bryan...hope his post helps.
[Reply]
waffle 02:58 PM 08-02-2010
Thanks for the reply Tom. Got the beads through this site: http://hcmcigarbeads.com/... Michael (CigarNut). The reason I say a leak is cuz the RH in my basement where my cigars are is actually higher. I don't see how a leak is possible though. That was part of the reason I went with a fridgador... figured that was a 'sealed' as you could get. I calibrated with a 75.5% Boveda kit. My cigars were overhumified prior... that's part of the reason I got these beads... had different ones before that didn't seem to be cutting it. Maybe it's just not enough time?
Check them by themselves and see if theyre running high, michael sent directions on how to lower them if theyre too high.
[Reply]
Page 42 of 138
« First < 32404142 43445292 > Last »
Up