Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Green bean casserole alternitives
livwire68 12:30 PM 03-29-2009
A few nights back I decide to make a change to the normal green been casserole. Instead of using green beans I used fresh asparagus and made the rest as normal. Came out great, but the Wife said it was not good as a leftover it became mushy. Anyone have their own twist to it?
[Reply]
mikeyj23 01:04 PM 03-29-2009
Green bean casserole is my favorite food in the entire world, so for our wedding reception I had the chef make green bean casserole balls. We had heavy hors d'oeuvres instead of a plated dinner, so I wanted something finger-foodie rather than spoony. The chef made balls out of green bean casserole then breaded them with the yummy crunchy onions and lightly fried them. They were delicious.
[Reply]
shortstory5 06:20 PM 03-29-2009
Great idea. That actually sounds amazing. I can't imagine it being very good after it got soggy though.
[Reply]
mikeyj23 07:22 PM 03-29-2009
Originally Posted by shortstory5:
Great idea. That actually sounds amazing. I can't imagine it being very good after it got soggy though.
I don't know what he did, but man it was amazing for the 2+ hours at the reception.
[Reply]
pmp 11:14 AM 03-30-2009
dude that sounds crazy delicious. I love green bean casserole. My wife's mom puts american cheese in hers. Its awesome.
[Reply]
Smoke Naked 11:48 AM 04-13-2009
Not a fan of fresh green beans so I replace them with fresh broccoli, yum. Don't know about what the leftovers taste like cause we don't save vegetable leftovers.

I'm in love with this good eats forum
[Reply]
tooomanycolors 11:50 AM 04-18-2009
my grandma put nacho cheese in it last thanksgiving, bad call grandma
[Reply]
JJG 10:48 AM 04-19-2009
My girlfriend is Italian and she was telling me how they do green beans. more of a salad than a casserole but it sounds interesting.

You blanch the green beans like normal but then they go in the fridge. add chopped red onion, cherry tomatoes and drench the whole thing in lots of red wine vinegar. after that it goes back in the fridge.

:-)
[Reply]
Smoke Naked 10:51 AM 04-19-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
My girlfriend is Italian and she was telling me how they do green beans. more of a salad than a casserole but it sounds interesting.

You blanch the green beans like normal but then they go in the fridge. add chopped red onion, cherry tomatoes and drench the whole thing in lots of red wine vinegar. after that it goes back in the fridge.

:-)
When I used to cook for a living we called that an Italian green bean salad, but we used to put olive oil in there as well
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:43 AM 04-22-2009
Not a fan of casseroles in general.
[Reply]
Up