Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Good Eats>Pork Roll?
LostAbbott 02:04 PM 12-24-2010
All right, All right... I have been here long enough to know that I should not push you around. PM inbound.
[Reply]
Chingas 02:05 PM 12-24-2010
Originally Posted by LostAbbott:
All right, All right... I have been here long enough to know that I should not push you around. PM inbound.
Thattaboy!:-)
[Reply]
OLS 07:23 AM 12-27-2010
We had that when I was a kid in LA...it was called Luncheon Meat, haha. Bit's and pieces, parts is parts.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 10:13 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
We had that when I was a kid in LA...it was called Luncheon Meat, haha. Bit's and pieces, parts is parts.
It's not the same. Taylor Ham is it's own thing, it's all pork not bits and pieces. I don't think you can even get it on the west coast, let alone when you were in middle school :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 10:21 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
It's not the same. Taylor Ham is it's own thing, it's all pork not bits and pieces. I don't think you can even get it on the west coast, let alone when you were in middle school :-)
Joe,
First thing is first here.
I think the title to this thread and the conversation from here on in should not be about "pork roll".
Not a soul I knew would ever, ever refer to it or order "pork roll".
There is one name and one name alone when ordering this product.

You referred to it by the brand name that made it..................Taylor Ham.

Nothing beat a Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese sandwich on a Kaiser at 3 in the morning at a Jersey diner.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 10:40 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Joe,
First thing is first here.
I think the title to this thread and the conversation from here on in should not be about "pork roll".
Not a soul I knew would ever, ever refer to it or order "pork roll".
There is one name and one name alone when ordering this product.

You referred to it by the brand name that made it..................Taylor Ham.

Nothing beat a Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese sandwich on a Kaiser at 3 in the morning at a Jersey diner.
It's funny Carlos, but depending where you lived in Jersey it goes by different names. I always knew it as Taylor Ham, nobody in this area ever calls it pork roll. But go south a little to central jersey and you'll find Taylor Pork Roll, and head to south jersey and it's just pork roll. Did some research on this back in the CS days with some of the other Jersey guys, and it's because of distribution that we got these differences in names. Different brands had different names to avoid copyright issues, but Taylor Ham is actually the oldest name for it. Come to North Jersey and ask for pork roll and people will look at you funny :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 10:55 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
Come to North Jersey and ask for pork roll and people will look at you funny :-)
Being raised, having gone to grade school, HS and College in Nork, Taylor Ham is the only way I knew how to order this.

We had a great mom and pop luncheonette called Foti's near my HS and we use to hang there two to three days a week for their Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese sandwich on a half Pizza Roll (there is another conversation piece that most outside of Jersey's Italian communities won't know).

I still long for them so good thing they carry it at my local supermarket.
Wife and I make them every other week or so for breakfast, on weekends. Just can't get the pizza bread.
When I first moved to Florida in '96, they didn't have it and had no clue what I was looking for when I asked.
[Reply]
yourchoice 11:05 AM 12-27-2010
Down in South Jersey/Philly area, it's only called Pork Roll. That and damn good! I remember the old CS thread too.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Blueface 11:11 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
Down in South Jersey/Philly area, it's only called Pork Roll. That and damn good! I remember the old CS thread too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Those of us from the "Nork" or N. Jersey area don't even consider the part you are referring to as part of Jersey.:-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 12:03 PM 12-27-2010
Those of us from the "Nork" or N. Jersey area don't even consider the part you are referring to as part of Jersey.:-)
Funny...we feel the same way about "yous guys". :-) :-)
[Reply]
ATobin 02:26 PM 01-03-2011

It's definitely pork roll. Now go get a haircut and find your own beach!

j/k
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 04:56 PM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by ATobin:
It's definitely pork roll. Now go get a haircut and find your own beach!

j/k
It's Taylor Ham, get back to your farm! :-)

j/k :-)
[Reply]
Chingas 08:16 PM 01-03-2011
Ahh. The age old battle between "what" to call it. When I was a kid I thought they were different being that I heard both names so frequently.

Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese

Pork Roll, Egg and Cheese

They both sound great and taste amazing...:-)
[Reply]
Tredegar 11:19 PM 01-12-2011
Here in Louisiana we use smoked pork jowls. Better than any bacon. I just used some in a 15 bean soup yesterday.
[Reply]
MedicCook 11:43 PM 01-12-2011
Pork Roll. Mmmmmmm
[Reply]
Chingas 11:46 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
Pork Roll. Mmmmmmm
You can say that again!:-):-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 11:47 PM 01-12-2011
Add some of Alex's bbq sauce. :-)
[Reply]
Chingas 11:49 PM 01-12-2011
I like to slice em thick. Cut em like the iron cross. Cook em up on the griddle but only so they are warm/hot, not burnt. Then cook eggs using the grease and fat left over from the pork roll. Holy Crap that sounds good as hell right now!
[Reply]
MedicCook 11:52 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by Chingas:
I like to slice em thick. Cut em like the iron cross. Cook em up on the griddle but only so they are warm/hot, not burnt. Then cook eggs using the grease and fat left over from the pork roll. Holy Crap that sounds good as hell right now!
Now I am getting hungry.
[Reply]
Chingas 11:52 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
Now I am getting hungry.
:-) Me too and I'm on a diet. No Good.:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up