Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 14
1 2311 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Gin Thread!
Eagle53 07:29 PM 02-21-2010
I couldn't help but notice that there wasn't a gin thread in the spirits section.
My favorite drink is gin and tonic and I love Bluecoat Gin. http://bluecoatgin.com/index.htm

It just won the double gold (absolute best) at San Francisco last year and it is the best gin i have ever tasted. It is actually considered a new genre of gin; american style. American style has significantly heavier citrus notes.

As far as london style my favorites are Hendricks and Tanqueray 10.

If anyone is a gin and tonic fan the best thing I've found to add to it is the liqueur; St. Germain. St. Germain is an elderflower liqueur that essentially turns it into a new drink....if you are a gin fan it absolutely is a must try.
[Reply]
qwerty1500 08:16 PM 02-21-2010
Can't let a gin thread pass without a comment. An ice cold gin martini, straight up, with two olives and, of course fresh vermouth has been my drink of choice for y e a r s ....

I've tried most everything. The only one that I can't seem to find around here is No. 209. Was a regular Bombay drinker for a long time. Now I seem to lean toward a Tanqueray 10 or a more pedestrian Beefeater.

There is just something about a gin martini that seems to bring certain flavors of a cigar to life.
[Reply]
mmblz 08:26 PM 02-21-2010
North Shore.

There's also this thread:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157

I tried Bluecoat after all the buzz last year. DIdn't like it that much. As I remember it was overly lemony, and there was something else peculiar about the flavor that I couldn't quite put my finger on...
[Reply]
Eagle53 08:27 PM 02-21-2010
Absolutely agree with the cigar pairing. I hate olives or olive juice in my martinis. Get your hands on some Bluecoat and St. Germain and it will change your life
[Reply]
Eagle53 08:30 PM 02-21-2010
Ah I did a search on gin and it came up with nothing so I figured no one had talked about it.
[Reply]
mmblz 08:31 PM 02-21-2010
Originally Posted by mmblz:
North Shore.
Just came across the recipe for the best martini I've ever had...
Autumn Dirt-ini on this page http://www.northpondrestaurant.com/t...ember2007.html
[Reply]
marge796 08:36 PM 02-21-2010
I like a Bombay & Tonic with extra limes on a hot summer afternoon.

:-)

Chris.....
[Reply]
Jbailey 08:42 PM 02-21-2010
That does sound tasty Julian.

I enjoy a dirty martini with blue cheese stuffed olives every now and again.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 09:30 PM 02-21-2010
My favorites have been Tanqueray No. 10, Tanquera Rangpur or Dry Fly. I'm a big fan of gin & tonic when the weathers warm. This is one of my fav recipes:

•1 part gin
•3 or 4 parts tonic water
•.5 oz. simple syrup
•dash of Stirrings blood orange bitters
•mandarin orange

•Muddle mandarin orange with simple syrup.
•Add a dash of blood orange bitters.
•Add Gin.
•Add tonic.
•Pour over ice, garnish with a mandarin orange wheel and enjoy.:-)
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 10:00 PM 02-21-2010
Originally Posted by Eagle53:
If anyone is a gin and tonic fan the best thing I've found to add to it is the liqueur; St. Germain. St. Germain is an elderflower liqueur that essentially turns it into a new drink....if you are a gin fan it absolutely is a must try.

I dont have as much gin experience as you guys but the one I love is Tanqueray. GnT's being my favorite drink to make with gin I need to find some of the St. Germain
[Reply]
Resipsa 10:02 PM 02-21-2010
Originally Posted by qwerty1500:
Can't let a gin thread pass without a comment. An ice cold gin martini, straight up, with two olives and, of course fresh vermouth has been my drink of choice for y e a r s ....

I've tried most everything. The only one that I can't seem to find around here is No. 209. Was a regular Bombay drinker for a long time. Now I seem to lean toward a Tanqueray 10 or a more pedestrian Beefeater.

There is just something about a gin martini that seems to bring certain flavors of a cigar to life.
We've got No. 209 here. Good Stuff. One we don't have is North Shore which I'd like to try.
[Reply]
mmblz 05:27 AM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
We've got No. 209 here. Good Stuff. One we don't have is North Shore which I'd like to try.
it's made outside of Chicago and I don't know if it's distributed much beyond there. you can order it from Binny's I think...
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 06:00 AM 02-22-2010
Hendricks and Bombay Sapphire are the only two for me!
[Reply]
Resipsa 10:04 AM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by mmblz:
it's made outside of Chicago and I don't know if it's distributed much beyond there. you can order it from Binny's I think...
Thanks Julian. Found another link where I can get it as well as binnys, the place I found also has north shore #11 as well as #6. Let me know if you'd like to try the #11 and I'll send you the link. Edit: looks
like binnys has the 11 as well, thanks for the tip. Have you had the 11or just the 6?
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 12:02 PM 02-22-2010
I've always been a Bombay Sapphire guy. I absolutely hate Tanqueray but was told Tanqueray 10 was good. I tried it and love it. It is fantastic with a cucumber slice instead of a lime.

MCS
[Reply]
mmblz 12:06 PM 02-22-2010
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
Thanks Julian. Found another link where I can get it as well as binnys, the place I found also has north shore #11 as well as #6. Let me know if you'd like to try the #11 and I'll send you the link. Edit: looks
like binnys has the 11 as well, thanks for the tip. Have you had the 11or just the 6?
just 6
from the description of 11 (on the north shore website) I'm not sure I would be likely to enjoy it... then again, if there's one thing we all know, it's that describing flavor in words in near to impossible.

http://www.northshoredistillery.com/gin6.htm
http://www.northshoredistillery.com/gin11.htm
[Reply]
mtaill 12:15 PM 02-22-2010
I like the Bombay and Tanqueray 10
[Reply]
Tripp 12:30 PM 02-22-2010
I use Bombay Sapphire for G&Ts, and Hendrick's for martinis. Picked up a bottle of New Amsterdam last week, and I can't say I'm impressed.
[Reply]
elderboy02 09:22 AM 04-15-2010
I think I am going to have to get into gin.

E-man67 gave me some Hendrick's last night and it was great! :-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 10:13 AM 04-15-2010
Hayman’s Old Tom Gin is my favorite Gin at the moment. A little hard to find in Michigan but should be available to most. Great stuff.

Love me a Vesper Martini
3 parts gin
1 part vodka
Splash dry vermouth
[Reply]
Page 1 of 14
1 2311 > Last »
Up