Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Roasted Garlic
stearns 09:55 AM 01-06-2016
Does anybody regularly roast garlic? Being a garlic lover like many of you I use the stuff in everything, and in the past I would occasionally roast some in the oven for particular uses, then I found myself saving some of the roasted cloves for a secondary particular use, and now I've gotten to the point where I roast many heads of garlic at a time just to keep them around and cook with in the future. I prefer the taste, texture, and ease of use to regular raw garlic.

To roast, I take the garlic heads, cut a little off the top so each clove is slightly exposed, then drizzle some olive oil and salt, pepper, and usually a little rosemary or thyme, then wrap that in foil and put in the oven at 400* for about an hour, or until the clove start to get soft and expand. Anybody have any other techniques?
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:01 AM 01-06-2016
My family likes roasted garlic; we have tried a number of different oils and use avocado oil or ghee. I also like to add red pepper.
[Reply]
T.G 10:15 AM 01-06-2016
Originally Posted by stearns:
Does anybody regularly roast garlic? Being a garlic lover like many of you I use the stuff in everything, and in the past I would occasionally roast some in the oven for particular uses, then I found myself saving some of the roasted cloves for a secondary particular use, and now I've gotten to the point where I roast many heads of garlic at a time just to keep them around and cook with in the future. I prefer the taste, texture, and ease of use to regular raw garlic.

To roast, I take the garlic heads, cut a little off the top so each clove is slightly exposed, then drizzle some olive oil and salt, pepper, and usually a little rosemary or thyme, then wrap that in foil and put in the oven at 400* for about an hour, or until the clove start to get soft and expand. Anybody have any other techniques?
Done most of that the same way here. I've also added red pepper flakes as Michael described, but I've never really bothered to mess with other oils besides olive oil.

I have cooked some in the pellet grill / smoker, leaving the foil open for about 20-30 minutes with the unit on smoke, then sealing the foil and kicking it up to 400F. Came out pretty good.

Last night I tried the sous vide method that Dom mentioned:
http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/rec...-garlic-confit

Despite my cooker going nucking futs the last 30 minutes of the cook, the stuff came out phenomenally good. I think I probably ate about 1/4 of the jar this morning on some toasted ciabatta bread. Next time I make some, I'm going to try a few different bags, each one with different spices to see how they come out.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 08:04 PM 01-06-2016
I have one of these and I love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Tagco-Electric...s_678519011_14
[Reply]
markem 08:09 PM 01-06-2016
I like to put my garlic in to a small clay pot to roast. I also put heads of garlic on the smoker after rubbing with olive oil.
[Reply]
Padron42 12:03 AM 05-15-2016
I have been roasting garlic a lot lately. Definitely going to try the smoker idea though, that sounds great, thanks.
[Reply]
StuartIsRelaxed 07:23 PM 09-25-2016
Try smashing it up and then putting it in a smoker!
[Reply]
Up