Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Pinar Del Rio Habano SG
karmaz00 02:15 PM 03-31-2009
Pinar Del Rio Habano Sun Grown Robusto- Dominican Republic

Pre-light- the pre light smell of the wrapper was a little spice and some sweetness. Took a cold draw, the draw was perfect and was getting some pepper and spice flavors; All the hints that this is going to be a nice cigar. The wrapper was a nice medium brown color; no large veins were present as well. This cigar was very consistent in construction, the appearance was very nice, and pack firm.

1st third- once lit up, I was overpowered with spice and pepper. More like a rich savory spice, and dark pepper. The burn was great as well as the draw. It was producing lots of smoke with every puff (love that). The ash was a medium to dark grey, and was very solid.

2nd third – the flavors, were beginning to calm down a bit…still getting spice and pepper, and a little sweet finish, it’s very good so far. The ash was very firm, and seems to hang on forever. Still producing lots of smoke, the burn and draw were awesome. For me, most cigars tend to start out mild in flavors then it kicks into high gear, but not this one; Quite the opposite here.

Last third – the spice and pepper were mellowing out, now getting a little earthy mushroom flavor mixed with the pepper and spice. The sweet finished has disappeared. The burn was great and the ash held on for a good 2 plus inches before it fell off. I would say that this cigar was medium bodied, with lots of great flavors. I enjoyed this cigar a lot.

Overall, the Pinar del Rio Habano SG robusto, was a great experience. From the construction, and flavor standpoint was awesome; not to mention the box they come in all dressed up. If I were to rate this cigar out of 100. I would say its an easy 90 points. A must try. Thank you abe for giving me the chance to try theses, you have done a great job.
[Reply]
Skywalker 03:23 PM 03-31-2009
Thanks for the review!!!

I have one resting in my humi, I'll have to give it a try real soon!!!

I reviewed both the Oscuro and the Classico... I favor the Oscuro! How does the SG compare to the Oscuro, if you have had both???

[Reply]
karmaz00 03:36 PM 03-31-2009
nope only the SG right now
[Reply]
greenwit 05:31 PM 03-31-2009
Great review and close to my thoughts on this fine stick. I like this better than the Oscuro. I thought that one was very sweet and savory......too much so for my tastes. The SG had a bit more of a balanced and complex taste. I think I'll be getting more of the SGs.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:41 PM 03-31-2009
Thanks for the review:-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 07:27 PM 04-01-2009
Thanks for the nice review Jason. I smoked one of these this morning at the Firestone shop while awaiting them to perform an oil change, tire rotation, and brake inspection on my vehicle.

Nice construction, draw, and pre-light aroma on this stick. A little dry in flavor at the very beginning, but tasting that mild pepper on the finish. However, it started to pick-up after the first 1/2" to conclusion. Nice flavor, great aroma from the smoke, hints of pepper, cedar, and some vitamin nic too (I was basically taking my time and spent over 60min with this stick).

1 down and 5 to go:-):-)

[Reply]
nozero 07:46 PM 04-01-2009
Thanks for the review. Another cigar added to my "to try" list!
:-)
[Reply]
Up