Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Red Dot - 1940-1950s
white_s2k 05:57 PM 03-20-2009
So, today is the last day of spring break and it's back to work and school for me so I decided to smoke a special cigar this evening. I was gifted this cigar by Keith (CigarCop) about four months back, and he told me it was going to need some TLC to bring it back to life. I've done that as best as I could, and decided it was time to fire it up. :-) Keith said that the cigar was from the 1940s or 1950s from what he could tell.

Couple of pics of the cigar and how it comes packaged:

Mmmm.. yellow cello :-)

[Reply]
white_s2k 05:57 PM 03-20-2009
The cigar itself was pretty firm, I was afraid that maybe I had not given it enough time. But I cut the head and the prelight draw was VERY sweet tasting, almost minty. I lit the cigar and immediately was hit with sweet hints of honey and that mint I was just talking about. I was very surprised by this considering the age of the cigar but then again I've never smoked anything with more than a few years of age on it so maybe that's just my ignorance speaking there. I switched between exhaling the smoke through my mouth and nosing it. Nosing the smoke was very smooth, no harshness about it.

This continued for about the first 1/3 of the cigar and then the sweetness of the cigar began to disappear and I started to pick up a lot of "earthy" tones.

The burn on the cigar was incredible. I never had to touch it up and there were no issues with it burning unevenly throughout the entire time.

Getting down to the last 1/3 of the cigar, it turned really hot and a bit bitter quite quickly. I tried to purge it but no luck. I slowed down on how often I was smoking it, which helped a bit but not much so I put it out with a little less than 1 inch left on the cigar. The cigar never tasted "old" like I was kind of expecting it, but you could definitely tell it had a lot of years on it.

Overall, a fantastic cigar and I'm grateful that Keith gave me the opportunity to bring it back to life and try a cigar that I probably would have never had the chance to smoke. Glad I have one more left. :-)

I hope you enjoyed the review.
[Reply]
Bax 06:12 PM 03-20-2009
These old ones are neat to try, aren't they? Great review.
[Reply]
Texan in Mexico 07:36 PM 03-20-2009
They are alot of fun to smoke.

I am curious about the mint you noticed. I wonder if the cigar acquired this taste or smell because it was stored near some Vaporub or something like that?

Do you think it was from a secondary source or really coming from the tobacco?
[Reply]
Skywalker 09:36 PM 03-20-2009
Very nice review!!!

First time I've seen this one... maybe the last!!!
:-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 09:52 PM 03-20-2009
Sounds great! I am saving a couple of old cigars for a special occasion that may never come. Sometimes I do like you did and just say now is the time.
[Reply]
white_s2k 10:07 PM 03-20-2009
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico:
They are alot of fun to smoke.

I am curious about the mint you noticed. I wonder if the cigar acquired this taste or smell because it was stored near some Vaporub or something like that?

Do you think it was from a secondary source or really coming from the tobacco?
Hard for me to say really, but my bet would be from the tobacco only because I've tasted other flavors like that on cigars during the prelight and the first 1/3 to 1/2 and then they disappear.
[Reply]
white_s2k 10:08 PM 03-20-2009
Originally Posted by Bax:
These old ones are neat to try, aren't they? Great review.
They sure are, a very unique experience. :-)
[Reply]
Cigarcop 04:42 PM 03-21-2009
Glad it smoked well for you Josh. I wasn't sure how much time they might need but it sounds like it wasn't too bad. I might actually have to break down and try a few myself. Keep us posted on the others too. :-)
[Reply]
compuag 03:02 PM 03-28-2009
Nice review Josh!

I'm smoking one of these right now and like you, I've noticed the very sweet minty flavor. Almost like the same flavor of a 'tip' of a swisher sweet (but in a good way). The burn is razor sharp, I'm getting tons of smoke and it's very smooth. All in all, I'm pleasantly suprised at how this is turning out. I would like to find out more about the flavor though. Does anyone have any insight to the history of the Red Dot label?
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 03:04 PM 03-28-2009
Nice review:-)
[Reply]
white_s2k 03:41 PM 03-28-2009
Originally Posted by compuag:
Does anyone have any insight to the history of the Red Dot label?
I would like to know this as well. I did some searching online, but couldn't find much information about the cigar or the company that made them.
[Reply]
BamBam 03:43 PM 03-28-2009
I've noticed the very sweet minty flavor. Almost like the same flavor of a 'tip' of a swisher sweet (but in a good way). I would like to find out more about the flavor though. Does anyone have any insight to the history of the Red Dot label?
Doing a little research there was very little to find on the red dot label. I did find a picture of one of there trucks and a little excerpt on Red Dot's. Here's an exerpt:

Originally Posted by :
The giant Federal Cigar Co., Inc., with branches in Red Lion, Franklintown, Wrightsville, and York, created the popular and “Truly Different” RED DOT, a cigar that was “Sweet and mild” and “Clear to the lips,” whatever that meant. The Company gave retailers a 3-foot long cardboard cigar similar to the six-footer atop their delivery vehicles.

It appears the marketing saying for the cigar was "Truly Different", so there's no surprise that the flavors you are experiencing are, well, different

You my friends may have just had an old school Drew Estate - Acid :-)
[Reply]
compuag 04:22 PM 03-28-2009
Ha! Nice digging. By a box of Acids now and in 60 years you too can have the same experience. :-) Maybe the secret blend of six fine tobaccos are the acid blue, gold, red, purple, 5, and krush??? :-)
[Reply]
BamBam 04:43 PM 03-28-2009
Ha! Nice digging. By a box of Acids now and in 60 years you too can have the same experience. :-) Maybe the secret blend of six fine tobaccos are the acid blue, gold, red, purple, 5, and krush??? :-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
white_s2k 04:47 PM 03-28-2009
Originally Posted by BamBam:

It appears the marketing saying for the cigar was "Truly Different", so there's no surprise that the flavors you are experiencing are, well, different

You my friends may have just had an old school Drew Estate - Acid :-)
Awesome, thanks for finding that. I can certainly agree with the unique flavor experience that they were shooting for.

If this what Acids are going to taste like in 60 years, then I'm stocking up! :-)
[Reply]
Texan in Mexico 05:45 PM 03-28-2009
LOL! Aged Acids!
[Reply]
Hot Stuff x 07:37 AM 03-29-2009
"clear to the lips"

I think that means "all the way to the nub"
[Reply]
Don Fernando 07:53 AM 03-29-2009
I envy you Josh.
[Reply]
BamBam 12:00 PM 03-29-2009