Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Lead Crystal Ashtrays Safe?
Tyler 11:37 PM 02-08-2011
I was wondering if lead crystal ashtrays are safe to use? I know that with the lead crystal wine glasses they have been found out that the wine can absorb the lead. I was wondering though if it matters for the short time the cigar could be resting in the ashtray?
[Reply]
BigCat 04:14 AM 02-09-2011
I believe even with the wine glasses, you would need to leave the wine in the glass for a significant amount of time for there to be any issue. I remember getting some tumblers made from lead crystal and basically being told not to store booze in them and it would be fine. I can't imagine the amount of time a cigar would touch an ashtray during the 1-2 hours it takes to smoke could have any impact.
[Reply]
taltos 06:17 AM 02-09-2011
No risk from an ashtray and minimal risk from lead crystal drinkware. I have three Waterford decanters that my father left me and I keep scotch, port and sherry in them. I was advised that if these liquids were in the decanters for less than a year, there was little to no risk. Hope this helps.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:29 AM 02-09-2011
I don't imagine that you are licking your ashtray for a prolonged period of time... so I would imagine you are safe, as the guys ^ up there said. People do a lot of worrying. If you read the warnings on a gas pump, you would think you need a hazmat suit and a respirator to fill up your car with gas too.

You really should stop snacking on leaded paint chips though. Switch to some nice Toffee.
[Reply]
Devanmc 06:42 AM 02-09-2011
i would assume as long as you dont lick it, eat it or rub your skin with it. Then youll be fine but then again my dad played with mercury out of broken thermometers...he is doing just fine :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 08:00 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
, you would think you need a hazmat suit and a respirator to fill up your car with gas too.
You mean you don't? Was this a waste of $100??!!

http://www.dqeready.com/ImgPop.aspx?...azMat-Suit.jpg
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:13 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by hotreds:

You got screwed Hugh, but you look AWESOME!
[Reply]
Subvet642 08:15 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by taltos:
No risk from an ashtray and minimal risk from lead crystal drinkware. I have three Waterford decanters that my father left me and I keep scotch, port and sherry in them. I was advised that if these liquids were in the decanters for less than a year, there was little to no risk. Hope this helps.
I can't keep scotch around long enough to warrant keeping it in a decanter, though I do have a couple. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:17 AM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by hotreds:

What yoiu wear in the privacy of your own home with your wife is up to you. Please don't share!
[Reply]
smokin5 08:21 AM 02-09-2011
NO! Those lead crystal ashtrays are absolutely UNSAFE to use!!!

I dropped one on my foot & it hurt for like, a week.
:-)
[Reply]
shilala 08:25 AM 02-09-2011
I was gonna say they're perfectly safe, but I had a girlfriend long, long ago that hurled one of those at me while I was sitting in my recliner. It went through both sides of the wall and ended up in the bedroom.
If memory serves me, I just went ahead and took her suggestion. It was something like "Get out", but with a bit more enthusiasm.
[Reply]
Tyler 07:18 PM 02-09-2011
Haha thanks guys. My girlfriend just has me worried because she is afraid I am going to get cancer from cigars and just about everything I do anyways lol.
[Reply]
TBone 07:24 PM 02-09-2011
I'd tell her if you don't like the lead crystal it'll add 5 yrs to your life...of course I'd say it over the phone unless you can out run her...just sayin
[Reply]
Volusianator 07:52 PM 02-09-2011
Is this a serious question?
[Reply]
Tyler 07:56 PM 02-09-2011
Yes Wade it is.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:33 PM 02-09-2011
Go for the uranium crystal instead. Hard to find, but come up in antique stores now and then.
[Reply]
boom 09:15 PM 02-09-2011
Your concerned about the ashtray...... Good thing your not concerned about cigars...:-)
[Reply]
Bill86 09:38 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Go for the uranium crystal instead. Hard to find, but come up in antique stores now and then.
I hear the asbestos coated one is very nice. I'll keep my eyes open for that illusive uranium crystal ashtray.

Seriously though you gotta stop listening to paranoid women (although I think that is a double negative)
[Reply]
aich75013 09:52 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by Devanmc:
i would assume as long as you dont lick it, eat it or rub your skin with it. Then youll be fine but then again my dad played with mercury out of broken thermometers...he is doing just fine :-)
I did once before too. I put the mercury in the palm of my hand and played with it.
In a college chemistry lab, a thermometer broke on the floor and the TA evacuated the lab so he could clean it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
loki 09:57 PM 02-09-2011
Originally Posted by Wallbright:
Haha thanks guys. My girlfriend just has me worried because she is afraid I am going to get cancer from cigars and just about everything I do anyways lol.
make sure you tell her the leading cause of death is being born....
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up