Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Vino? yes/no
goalie204 06:22 AM 12-21-2008
I know you guys are all enablers, and talk about the slope and all this, but I I'm never going to have more than a couple hundred cigars (probably 100 max)

That being said, I just found out yesterday, that a company in my city sells vinotemps http://vinocool.com/products.htm

He is out of 28s, and has 16s left (84 bux) and he said he has a 20'ish bottle one with a caved in top (from shipping) that he can negotiate on for 100'ish dollars. These are great prices compared to vinotemp.com (USD) He is currently working on a patent for a device that can be placed in any container and turn it into a cooler like a vino, which is why i believe he's clearing these out so cheap.

I currently have around 10 cigars and am this is my concern: A) If i buy one now, i spend money that I don't really have/want to spend, but it's a great price for these things and it may get filled within a year or so, or it may sit and collect dust and go unused. B) If I DON"T buy one now, he may not have them anymore by the time summer rolls around if i decided i want one.

Should I just say screw it and buy one and shelf it until i have some cigars (if that even happens), or just say forget it, don't bother and if i ever need something just buy a coleman cooler down the road?

I'm asking for advice here.

Thanks brothers and sisters. :/
[Reply]
Don Fernando 06:34 AM 12-21-2008
Get the 20'ish one, and don't trow away your old humidor because once you stop fighting gravity and fall down the slope you will need the storage.

And with your current RH issues getting a vino is a no brainer, all your sorrows will be over.
[Reply]
shilala 06:34 AM 12-21-2008
I'm going to go with no. I based my answer on "A) If i buy one now, i spend money that I don't really have/want to spend".
The prices you quoted aren't at all phenomenal and there are tons of different thermoelectrics out there that you can get at similar savings.
Wait till you need one and can afford it. You'll be happier that way. :-)
[Reply]
md4958 07:01 AM 12-21-2008
Myles,
In your climate you really dont NEED a Vino (they only cool they dont heat).

The only reason I have one is becuase for the price I got it ($50) I couldnt even buy a cooler with similar storage capacity. I dont even have mine plugged in. If I had to pay full price (around $200 here I think) I would have saved my money and put it towards a cabinet humidor instead.

For the amount of sticks you currently have I would hold off. Spend the $100 on some great sticks. If you run out of space you could always use a temporary tupperdor. You already have some practice with those!
[Reply]
Rockestone 07:02 AM 12-21-2008
If you don't have the money, I wouldn't buy it. It's a luxury not a necessity.
[Reply]
abby 07:14 AM 12-21-2008
I have more than 200 cigars and I store them in Jars (5 litres each) with the lid that has a sealing o-ring. Since it is glass I covered inside with aluminium (for food purpose) and put some cedar sheet for helping with humy.

Just control humy, the temperature is needed only for bicho issue.

AB
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 07:27 AM 12-21-2008
I wouldnt buy it until you are ready. I only got mine because A.) It was 50 bucks and B.) I dont have a big enough budget to fill it, so it should be the only humidor I will ever need.
[Reply]
mikeyj23 07:36 AM 12-21-2008
Originally Posted by goalie204:
I know you guys are all enablers, and talk about the slope and all this, but I I'm never going to have more than a couple hundred cigars (probably 100 max)

Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee :-) :-) :-) :-)

Just you wait and see...
[Reply]
goalie204 07:40 AM 12-21-2008
Originally Posted by md4958:
Myles,
In your climate you really dont NEED a Vino (they only cool they dont heat).

The only reason I have one is becuase for the price I got it ($50) I couldnt even buy a cooler with similar storage capacity. I dont even have mine plugged in. If I had to pay full price (around $200 here I think) I would have saved my money and put it towards a cabinet humidor instead.

For the amount of sticks you currently have I would hold off. Spend the $100 on some great sticks. If you run out of space you could always use a temporary tupperdor. You already have some practice with those!
HA! you're the best Moe! In the winter, sure its cold, but in the summer we see temps of 80-90 with 90-100% humidity, thats sort of why i was lookin at these.

And for everyone else, just to clarify, its not that im in dire straights financially, its more that im a cheap jew and dont like spending money unless i have a surplus of money! :P
[Reply]
md4958 07:43 AM 12-21-2008
HA! you're the best Moe! In the winter, sure its cold, but in the summer we see temps of 80-90 with 90-100% humidity, thats sort of why i was lookin at these.

And for everyone else, just to clarify, its not that im in dire straights financially, its more that im a cheap jew and dont like spending money unless i have a surplus of money! :P

Thanks Myles, we get those temps down this way too... and hotter! I keep my vino in the basement and it says pretty cool down there... around 65 in the summer. If you use A/C and keep your house at around 70 then the outdoor temp shouldnt be an issue... but hey, it could be a big problem too!
[Reply]
Footbag 07:45 AM 12-21-2008
Originally Posted by :
He is out of 28s, and has 16s left (84 bux) and he said he has a 20'ish bottle one with a caved in top (from shipping) that he can negotiate on for 100'ish dollars. These are great prices compared to vinotemp.com (USD) He is currently working on a patent for a device that can be placed in any container and turn it into a cooler like a vino, which is why i believe he's clearing these out so cheap.
I need one of those. For my cabinet. How big are they?
[Reply]
goalie204 07:50 AM 12-21-2008
No idea, might go check his store out monday and talk to him aboot it
[Reply]
goalie204 07:51 AM 12-21-2008
Originally Posted by md4958:
Thanks Myles, we get those temps down this way too... and hotter! I keep my vino in the basement and it says pretty cool down there... around 65 in the summer. If you use A/C and keep your house at around 70 then the outdoor temp shouldnt be an issue... but hey, it could be a big problem too!
I will try, my a/c's in the condo are little wall units, 2 of them, one in the living room one in the bedroom
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 08:04 AM 12-21-2008
Originally Posted by Footbag:
I need one of those. For my cabinet. How big are they?
I think they are at the bottom of the page. They are under "Self Contained Cooling Systems."
[Reply]
goalie204 08:06 AM 12-21-2008
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE:
I think they are at the bottom of the page. They are under "Self Contained Cooling Systems."

* Weight: 48 lbs. - For the smallest one - $499.00

I wonder if the one he is developing is smaller, for smaller sized coolers/cabinets. Will ask him
[Reply]
DPD6030 08:19 AM 12-21-2008
Since I have your address you may need to get one...:-):-):-)
[Reply]
goalie204 08:23 AM 12-21-2008
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
Since I have your address you may need to get one...:-):-):-)
HAVe MERCY! I'm trying to cut down dangit
[Reply]
G G 08:43 AM 12-21-2008
HAVe MERCY! I'm trying to cut down dangit
You are now done for sir. Between Andrew and his brother Steve I now have 25 more smokes than I did last month thanks to their bombs.:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 09:15 AM 12-21-2008
quote from goalie204 "I know you guys are all enablers, and talk about the slope and all this, but I'm never going to have more than a couple hundred cigars (probably 100 max)

That being said, I just found out yesterday, that a company in my city sells vinotemps"

Hey Brother,
I think you should get the 20. you will be happy with the capacity and the problems it solves.

:-) Oh by the way, you might want to rethink how you post things here. These guys here are animals (not me--I'm innocent!) and the quote above is like a challenge to them. I foresee you getting a couple of friendly bombs in the future.:-):-):-):-):-)

And
"but I'm never going to have more than a couple hundred cigars (probably 100 max)"--then why are looking at vinotemps for? You are already thinking of more cigars....and headed down that slope.:-):-):-):-)

Best to you BOTL,
K

Oh Hey DPD6030--could you pm me goalie204's addy? I have an end of the year present for him.
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 09:20 AM 12-21-2008
* Weight: 48 lbs. - For the smallest one - $499.00

I wonder if the one he is developing is smaller, for smaller sized coolers/cabinets. Will ask him

I think for that much I would rather gut a 20 bottle and throw it in a humi.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up