Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>another vino question...
Arrow111 12:58 AM 12-28-2008
so my vino arrived and i threw a few boxes in. i left some space between the 2 columns 2 rows deep of assorted boxes to allow some air flow, other than that, this thing's packed.

my problem is that from one section to the next, the temp and rh is not as consistent as i'd like. im assuming some additional fans would do the trick - what type of fans would work best & how many? would i need a timer?

is section to section consistency even possible with this many boxes, or should i just not bother trying and just pull a few boxes out? :-)

Attached:
[Reply]
Wolfgang 01:12 AM 12-28-2008
oust fans work wonders. they are a discontinued item but can still be had on eBay and what not.
[Reply]
bobarian 01:24 AM 12-28-2008
You can sometimes find Oust fans on Ebay. They may be hard to find in the PI but they are small battery(D size) operated fans. Others have used a small computer fan set on a timer and mounted to and old cab sized box. You can run the wire down through the drain hold for power. :-)

Be sure your boxes are not pushed all the way back against the fan housing, that can also restrict the air flow from the main fan.
[Reply]
ashmaster 03:57 AM 12-28-2008
I don't know that you will ever have 100% consistency from top-to-bottom. I have a 3" computer fan on a timer in mine and still have differences from top-to-bottom, but it's close enough for me not to worry about.

If you want to try an Oust fan, PM Shilala to see if he has any left,

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6598
[Reply]
Arrow111 07:26 AM 12-28-2008
Originally Posted by ashmaster:
I don't know that you will ever have 100% consistency from top-to-bottom. I have a 3" computer fan on a timer in mine and still have differences from top-to-bottom, but it's close enough for me not to worry about.

If you want to try an Oust fan, PM Shilala to see if he has any left,

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6598
how do you power your pc fan? and how did you hook up the timer? thanks for the input =)
[Reply]
MTB996 07:05 PM 12-28-2008
Originally Posted by Arrow111:
how do you power your pc fan? and how did you hook up the timer? thanks for the input =)
I used a random DC power supply I had laying around. Honestly, I don't remember the voltage, as I had a bunch (old phones, electronics that I still had the power supplies long after the actual electronics died) and tried a few to see what airflow I preferred. Maybe 8-10V. I powered 2 fans with one power supply and plugged it into a cheap timer I got at walmart or radio shack - you know the ones for turning on lights when you are away on vacation. I think I have them running 15minutes every 2 hours.

Hope that helps.
[Reply]
Arrow111 07:55 AM 12-29-2008
Originally Posted by bobarian:
You can sometimes find Oust fans on Ebay. They may be hard to find in the PI but they are small battery(D size) operated fans. Others have used a small computer fan set on a timer and mounted to and old cab sized box. You can run the wire down through the drain hold for power. :-)

Be sure your boxes are not pushed all the way back against the fan housing, that can also restrict the air flow from the main fan.
the Oust fans run on batteries... do you just leave them on 24-7 until it's time to change batteries? im not quite sure how i'd hook up a timer onto it
[Reply]
av8tor152d 08:08 AM 12-29-2008
the Oust fans run on batteries... do you just leave them on 24-7 until it's time to change batteries? im not quite sure how i'd hook up a timer onto it
the oust fans are great because they cycle on and off on their own, something like 5 mins on 15 off. As for batteries they seem to last forever.
[Reply]
Arrow111 08:21 AM 12-29-2008
Originally Posted by av8tor152d:
the oust fans are great because they cycle on and off on their own, something like 5 mins on 15 off. As for batteries they seem to last forever.
oh okay. that makes sense then. thanks for the clarification :-)
[Reply]
ashmaster 06:13 PM 12-29-2008
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but MTB996 answered your question. I didn't have any converters so I went to Radio Shack to get set-up.

The fan (I had a small cigar box this fit into perfectly):
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102826

The power supply:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2191852

and the timer I got at Lowes. The fan comes on every 4 hrs for 15 minutes.

The reason I went with my set-up was the amount of air moved (cfm) vs the Oust. Don't quote me, I read on another forum the cfm for the Oust was 2-3 cfm whereas the set-up I'm using is 33 cfm.

I understand a lot of people use the Oust fans and are quite happy. As long as it works, that's a good thing.
[Reply]
Up