Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>TV wireless connection
icurrie 12:16 PM 12-16-2008
There was a post on here a while ago that I just can't find. It was about running your TV signal through a wireless router to your laptop. Does anyone do this? Or know how to do it?
[Reply]
Mugen910 12:17 PM 12-16-2008
Do you mean like Slingbox?
[Reply]
Smoking Dragon 12:22 PM 12-16-2008
I believe that this is the post that you wanted:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5248
[Reply]
rack04 12:23 PM 12-16-2008
Originally Posted by icurrie:
There was a post on here a while ago that I just can't find. It was about running your TV signal through a wireless router to your laptop. Does anyone do this? Or know how to do it?
I've never heard or running a TV signal through a wireless router.
[Reply]
dunng 12:24 PM 12-16-2008
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Do you mean like Slingbox?
:-) Slingbox would be the way to go...

or sites like:

www.hulu.com
www.surfthechannel.com
www.sidereel.com
www.abc.com
www.nbc.com
www.cbs.com

:-)
[Reply]
icurrie 12:28 PM 12-16-2008
That is what is was, HD DVD and Blueray. Thanks. Could you do this with a HD digital box?
[Reply]
rack04 12:39 PM 12-16-2008
That is what is was, HD DVD and Blueray. Thanks. Could you do this with a HD digital box?
HD DVD and Blu-ray are discs that require a player, not a HD digital box.
[Reply]
icurrie 12:43 PM 12-16-2008
Originally Posted by rack04:
HD DVD and Blu-ray are discs that require a player, not a HD digital box.
I meant "players". I was just wondering if you can connect your "players" to your wireless network, can you connect your HD Digital Box to your network.
I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to this stuff. Most of the people here are pretty helpful. Just thought I would see if it was possible.
[Reply]
rack04 12:46 PM 12-16-2008
I meant "players". I was just wondering if you can connect your "players" to your wireless network, can you connect your HD Digital Box to your network.
I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to this stuff. Most of the people here are pretty helpful. Just thought I would see if it was possible.
Yes it's very possible. I did this recently. Check out the link that sergeant smoky posted.
[Reply]
Resipsa 01:09 PM 12-16-2008
The question that comes to my mind is what exactly are you trying to do?

If you're looking to connect a blu ray player so that you can access BD-Live! features, Justin is correct and see that thread.

If what you're trying to do is connect a blu-ray player to your network so that you can stream content to other locations in your house, no, there is no solution that I know of although I could be wrong. Even if you can you would run into a bandwidth problem unless you were running on an "N" network.

As to HD digital boxes again the question is what are you trying to do? My Directtv is on my network through a wired connection so depending on your service and box type, yes it's possible to connect a HD TV box to the network.
[Reply]
icurrie 01:32 PM 12-16-2008
Originally Posted by Resipsa:
The question that comes to my mind is what exactly are you trying to do?

If you're looking to connect a blu ray player so that you can access BD-Live! features, Justin is correct and see that thread.

If what you're trying to do is connect a blu-ray player to your network so that you can stream content to other locations in your house, no, there is no solution that I know of although I could be wrong. Even if you can you would run into a bandwidth problem unless you were running on an "N" network.

As to HD digital boxes again the question is what are you trying to do? My Directtv is on my network through a wired connection so depending on your service and box type, yes it's possible to connect a HD TV box to the network.
What I am trying to do, if possible, is to watch a TV signal wirelessly on a laptop. I checked out the "slingbox" and I also saw the thread about the wireless bridge and was trying to figure out if I could run a wirelss router on my cable box and run another wireless router on my network and watch TV on my laptop. The slingbox sure looks like the way to go but more expensive than an additional router.
Now if I can connect the TV to the network router with wire, that would work too. Is that what you did? Can you watch TV on your network?

Thanks for the info.
[Reply]
rack04 01:36 PM 12-16-2008
What I am trying to do, if possible, is to watch a TV signal wirelessly on a laptop. I checked out the "slingbox" and I also saw the thread about the wireless bridge and was trying to figure out if I could run a wirelss router on my cable box and run another wireless router on my network and watch TV on my laptop. The slingbox sure looks like the way to go but more expensive than an additional router.
Now if I can connect the TV to the network router with wire, that would work too. Is that what you did? Can you watch TV on your network?

Thanks for the info.
I'm not exactly sure but I don't think this can be done over a network. Slingbox seems to be exactly what you want. Depending on your HD TV reception you may want to look at USB HD TV capture cards.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc..._external.html
[Reply]
Resipsa 08:47 AM 12-17-2008

Thanks for the info.
Define "watch tv":-)

I have DirecTV, and I also have an HD DVR (HR22 model). IF you have DirecTV, and IF you have one of the HD DVR's, it can be connected to your network, they have a program called DirecTV2PC that allows you to watch what's on the DVR on your PC. I personally haven't tried it out, if only because if I'm in the house I'm going to watch TV on, well, my TV:-). I guess I just don't see the usefullness for me, other it may be useful for others.

Check this link for more info:

http://www.hdupdate.com/2008/10/dire...c-to-beta.html
[Reply]
Up