Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Thinking about a car ionizer
MajorCaptSilly 10:12 PM 11-26-2008
I'm looking at the Csonka Auto Smoker Cloaker they are selling at Famous. Does anyone have experience with these or have any others to recommend?

Thanks,

MCS
[Reply]
Da Klugs 10:15 PM 11-26-2008
They put out a pretty funky smell (ozone) but it covers the odors. I have been going to the carwash weekly and the foo foo smell of the cleaners etc seems to help the residual as much as anything.

Washing the inside is the only way I have found to get "that clean smell" vs old cigars as viewed by non-smokers.
[Reply]
Squid 07:30 AM 11-27-2008
Originally Posted by Da Klugs:
They put out a pretty funky smell (ozone) but it covers the odors. I have been going to the carwash weekly and the foo foo smell of the cleaners etc seems to help the residual as much as anything.

Washing the inside is the only way I have found to get "that clean smell" vs old cigars as viewed by non-smokers.
You strike me as the "Fresh Hints of Lavender" scent that they put in at the car wash! :-)
[Reply]
Da Klugs 07:35 AM 11-27-2008
Originally Posted by Squid:
You strike me as the "Fresh Hints of Lavender" scent that they put in at the car wash! :-)
Since it's the internet I'll only be able to "strike you" with smilies. :-) :-)

Fresh hings of lavender, essence of foo foo, whatever; it is beats down the essence of old guy and his cigars. SO it's all good. :-)
[Reply]
Cigary 02:40 PM 11-27-2008
Got one in my SUV and it works great. Every day I get into it smells like fresh air and that is after I have smoked a big fat one the day before. Be sure to let the unit work for you for at least 10 minutes after you put the cigar down. It needs to purify the air and get rid of the stale smoke.
[Reply]
Buena Fortuna 02:42 PM 11-27-2008
Talk to Hardcz, he has one
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
spectrrr 02:50 PM 11-27-2008
I used to sell air purifiers. Without researching the specific unit you mentioned, the basic info on all air purifiers is:

An ionizer will only knock the smoke out of the air, but it won't kill the odor. (also knocks dust and other things out of the air).

Something that puts out ozone will kill the odor. Ozone gets into things and chemically alters them. You can literally soak a rag in ammonia and hold it in front of a larger ozone generator for a few seconds and then smell th rag, it will have been reduced the basic equivalent of water.

In small quantities, ozone is harmless.
in medium quantities, ozone can be annoying.
In large amounts, ozone can be a little harmful, but you'll be very annoyed with it and even get a slight headache long before it reaches harmful levels, so don't be worried about that.

IF the unit puts out enough ozone, it should work very well to kill odors in the car. I'm sure its a very low power unit, so it would need a little bit of time to build up and become effective...... and if you chain smoke in the car, it might get overwhelmed. (maybe just get a second one then). but for the everday or average smoke, it should work.

EDIT: I just looked at the unit, it makes ozone, looks like it would work fairly well. REMEMBER, ozone is a compound that has to come in contact with the odor to work... so if you hide it under the seat with no airflow... well you get the idea, not gonna work :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:40 AM 11-28-2008
I don't like the metallic taste that ozone puts into the air. I think you should be resolved to "if you smoke in the car, it's going to smell". Also, consider a smoking jacket in the car.

If Enzo Ferrari smoked cigars in his cars, why shouldn't I? Febreeze works well in neutralizing odors.
[Reply]
Nelson 08:37 AM 12-16-2008
I have one also. It does require that you put up your windows and let it run for several minutes with the AC cranking. I smoke in my car occasionaly and this unit is constantly on, wether i smoke or not. It does help with the odor, but what i found to be the most effective is to bring down all windows and let the air flow, if on the freeway, i crack my sunroof a bit and it acts as a huge vacuum sucking out all the smoke(pretty cool to watch too). Ventilation is the name of the game.
[Reply]
Silound 10:38 AM 12-16-2008
All I can say is: Thank you God for leather interior!

My leather doesn't hold a smell, EVER. So I just have to occasionally spray odor-eater on the headliner and carpets and I'm good to go.

For the record, the Ozone generating cleaners work BEST if you roll up your windows, and set your A/C to recycle interior air but leave the actual cooling turned off (just circulate the air inside basically), and then idle your car for about 15 minutes.

I used one for a while in my old car. I'd get to work early with some coffee and a quick smoke, and then idle my car for about 15-20 while I smoked, drank coffee, and read the paper leaning against it.
[Reply]
schnell987 07:42 PM 12-16-2008
On another board, I read about a product called Pure Ayre...the folks at that board thought it worked wonders.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 08:06 PM 12-16-2008
I ended up getting this: http://store.renewalenterprises.com/p004watershed.html I've been using it for a couple weeks. Today, I used Silound's method and it worked very well. 15 minutes running the AutoPure with the air on recyle and there was almost no trace of cigar smell.

MCS
[Reply]
alley00p 08:19 PM 12-16-2008
I had this unit recommended by a friend of mine, who has the larger unit in his office: http://www.amaircare.com/Product-XR100.shtml

It's supposed to work very well, and when I get mine, I'll be sure to post a review of how well it actually DOES work.

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Up