Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Armoire/Cabinet conversion - what to look for?
AD720 08:26 PM 10-25-2008
I was thinking a fun winter project might be Armoire or Cabinet conversion. Can anyone give me a quick "here's what to look for" as far as hinges, construction, etc?
[Reply]
Mark C 06:40 AM 10-26-2008
I've been considering this too. From what I can tell, anything can be lined with spanish cedar, but solid hardwood is probably best. It'll have to be built relatively tight, no gaps around the doors, drawers, etc. A little caulk around the interior edges, and weather stripping around the doors where it contacts the cabinet will go a long way.

And find one that doesn't smell like old socks!

That's just what I've been looking at from reading about other conversions, hopefully someone who's done it can chime in.
[Reply]
AD720 08:14 PM 12-31-2008
Bump for more info if anyone missed it the first time...

My fiance's cousin is pretty handy (contractor), has all the tools and is into helping me out with it. A very good friend's boyfriend is a cabinet maker, I'm planning on shooting him an email as well.

I have been trolling craigslist but all I am sure about right now is no Ikea.:-)
[Reply]
GWN 11:04 AM 01-01-2009
PM Bear. He did a great job on his.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 11:22 AM 01-01-2009
I would be looking for something made of solid wood, including the backing. Often times armoires will have the pressed wood style thin backing which would not be very condusive. I would also check for over lapping doors, not neccessarily the doors that close into the cabinet, but somthing that touches wood on wood to add the weather stripping easier. :-)
[Reply]
Cigarcop 01:08 PM 01-01-2009
Originally Posted by GWN:
PM Bear. He did a great job on his.
I agree :-) That thing looks great!!
[Reply]
Up