Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 43 of 54
« First < 33414243 444553 > Last »
Discussion>New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart
chaase321 03:27 PM 04-10-2013
Thank you both! Practice makes perfect...and now that I know I'm doing it wrong I can practice more effectively :-)
[Reply]
Mister Moo 10:01 AM 04-12-2013
Originally Posted by chaase321:
Thank you both! Practice makes perfect...and now that I know I'm doing it wrong I can practice more effectively :-)
Practice solves all.

I see you're in Woodbridge. That Old Virgina Tobacco joint across from the mall has a fantastic cigar selection but I don't think I ever met another pipesmoker in there. Check it out - maybe you'll find an Old Fart who'll do you a demo.
[Reply]
chaase321 09:40 AM 04-16-2013
Another question (that's what this is hear for right :-) )

I just bought some tins that are from 2006 (mainly Frog Morton stuff):

1. When I shake the tin it sounds like the tobacco might be dry(er), (note, bought from a brother here, and not saying anything bad because I know re-hydrating is easy and I'm 100% happy with the purchase, just wanted to ask the ?) is this just me being a newb, but my question is, doesn't the sealed tin keep the tobacco moist/optimal?

2. Should I invest in the small mason jars to have on hand for right when I open a tin? Or can I keep the tobacco in the tin for a few (days, weeks, months) with it holding proper humidity?

3.Thanks!! :-)
[Reply]
Commander Quan 10:13 AM 04-16-2013
You can't really tell if the tins are dried out or not from shaking them. Are the foil seals still under vacuum?

The tins will be ok in the Pringles style tins for a couple weeks up to a month but any longer than that and you'll want to have the stuff jared.
[Reply]
chaase321 10:20 AM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Commander Quan:
You can't really tell if the tins are dried out or not from shaking them. Are the foil seals still under vacuum?

The tins will be ok in the Pringles style tins for a couple weeks up to a month but any longer than that and you'll want to have the stuff jared.
Still factory sealed :-) should still be just fine then, right?

Ok, I'll make it a necessity (not priority) to get the jars.

Thanks!
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:50 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by chaase321:
Still factory sealed :-) should still be just fine then, right?

Ok, I'll make it a necessity (not priority) to get the jars.

Thanks!
Factory sealed will be fine for a long time.
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 07:40 PM 04-16-2013
Just started smoking a pipe so I'm sure that I will have loads of questions.

First one being, What are some good tools to have handy for pipe smoking?
[Reply]
Robulous78 07:57 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever:
Just started smoking a pipe so I'm sure that I will have loads of questions.

First one being, What are some good tools to have handy for pipe smoking?
Seeing as I am also new... this might be the blind leading the blind... but there are all kinds of tools you can have for pipes...

A tamper or pipe nail is a must for the ash on top of bowls...

A pipe rest is nice in case you must set it down for a while...

A pipe knife is a slightly more expensive alternative that has the same features and a blade that will let you cut up your baccy any way you like...

A cork knocker is nice for your ashtray so you don't risk damaging valuable pipes...

you can get Ashtrays with knockers installed, and formed pipe rests...

you can get shelves or cabinets built with special storage for your pipes and baccy...

If you like smoking a pipe on the go you can get a "Mayflower Pouch" or "columbus pouch" that holds your baccy and pipe safely in your pocket...

If your pipes get really dirty you can get a reamer and carefully remove excess cake...

As with cigars... the question is what will you use and what will you need...

I would say a rest and a tamper or knife is a good start... most say a pipe lighter is also a must have... But its important to keep in mind that the one thing about pipe smoking is it really is as simple as pack it up and light it on fire if you want it to be... :-)
[Reply]
Mister Moo 08:51 AM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
Seeing as I am also new... this might be the blind leading the blind... but there are all kinds of tools you can have for pipes...

A tamper or pipe nail is a must for the ash on top of bowls...

A pipe rest is nice in case you must set it down for a while...

A pipe knife is a slightly more expensive alternative that has the same features and a blade that will let you cut up your baccy any way you like...

A cork knocker is nice for your ashtray so you don't risk damaging valuable pipes...

you can get Ashtrays with knockers installed, and formed pipe rests...

you can get shelves or cabinets built with special storage for your pipes and baccy...

If you like smoking a pipe on the go you can get a "Mayflower Pouch" or "columbus pouch" that holds your baccy and pipe safely in your pocket...

If your pipes get really dirty you can get a reamer and carefully remove excess cake...

As with cigars... the question is what will you use and what will you need...

I would say a rest and a tamper or knife is a good start... most say a pipe lighter is also a must have... But its important to keep in mind that the one thing about pipe smoking is it really is as simple as pack it up and light it on fire if you want it to be... :-)
That's some kinda long, scary looking list for a newguy. How 'bout a pack of matches, a golf tee and a 100-count bag of pipecleaners.

First you need to draw them in, all paper book matches innocent-like. Pounce later with the long lists of plutonium-powered pipe lighters.
[Reply]
Nick 12:26 AM 04-19-2013
Seconded.....if you cant find a golf tee, 16 penny nails work good too.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:07 AM 04-19-2013
[quote=Mister Moo;1822641]That's some kinda long, scary looking list for a newguy. How 'bout a pack of matches, a golf tee and a 100-count bag of pipecleaners.

Originally Posted by Nick:
Or just be a man and use your finger! :-)

Have a farmer who does that. His fingers are so calloused he doesn't even feel it.

I will say this, if you're going to get a bag of pipe cleaners, you may as well pick up a pipe nail for $1 while you are there.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 11:25 AM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by Nick:
You GO, Kid Pipe. :-)

Shrug.. I guess you're not really a kid anymore, are you? :-)
[Reply]
Nick 07:37 PM 04-19-2013
26, married, and own a home. But still feel like a kid. Dont have my motorcycle anymore though.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 08:03 PM 04-19-2013
[quote=RevSmoke;1823617]
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
That's some kinda long, scary looking list for a newguy. How 'bout a pack of matches, a golf tee and a 100-count bag of pipecleaners.

Or just be a man and use your finger! :-)

Have a farmer who does that. His fingers are so calloused he doesn't even feel it.

I will say this, if you're going to get a bag of pipe cleaners, you may as well pick up a pipe nail for $1 while you are there.
My grandpa used his thumb as a tamper. I was always amazed when he would just stick his thumb in the lit bowl.

MCS
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 12:05 PM 05-05-2013
I may be buying some older tins that have been dried out apparently. Is there a point of no return when trying to rehydrate pipe tobacco?
[Reply]
DaBear 04:15 PM 05-05-2013
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
I may be buying some older tins that have been dried out apparently. Is there a point of no return when trying to rehydrate pipe tobacco?
Unless its moldy, nope. Thats the beauty of pipe tobacco, easiest thing in the world to care for, just dont get mold on it.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 06:26 AM 05-07-2013
Exception. Most aromatics lose a lot of their special something if left to dry out. While even aromatics can be rehydrated and smoked well they may not recover the bulk of the flavor that they once carried. As one who eschews aromatics I say, "For the best, that."
[Reply]
timj219 10:15 AM 05-22-2013
I've tried a couple OTC and now about 6 other tobaccos from H&H and GL Pease. None of them prepared me for the tin of FVF I just bought.
When I opended the can and picked one up it was as flexible as a sheet of rubber. It showed no tendency at all to flake apart. Even after leaving a flake out to dry for a full day it still was difficult to rub out. It did burn, but not well.

Does this tobacco usually come this moist? Should I think about rubbing this out first, then drying for a day or more? I've seen references to smoking flake by just folding it up and stuffing it in the bowl. It's hard to believe that's possible but is it?
[Reply]
Mister Moo 12:35 PM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by timj219:
I've tried a couple OTC and now about 6 other tobaccos from H&H and GL Pease. None of them prepared me for the tin of FVF I just bought.
When I opended the can and picked one up it was as flexible as a sheet of rubber. It showed no tendency at all to flake apart. Even after leaving a flake out to dry for a full day it still was difficult to rub out. It did burn, but not well.

Does this tobacco usually come this moist? Should I think about rubbing this out first, then drying for a day or more? I've seen references to smoking flake by just folding it up and stuffing it in the bowl. It's hard to believe that's possible but is it?
Flake tobaccos are wonderful but any one may be different from the next. FVF isn't exactly a learner product. :-) It's one of the worst flakes to twist or roll and stuff into a pipe; it's also hard to light unless it's quite dry.

The 2013 Moo Flake Scale

Bend a flake in half and if it:

1. bends - too moist
2. fractures a bit and frays without snapping - probly just right
3. snaps - too dry

FVF likes to be around 2.7 on the Moo Scale. Rough it up pretty good and definitely do not cram and jam because, as quickly as it warms up, it will expand quite a bit. Fill easy, tamp easy, rub out hard, light hard.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 12:43 PM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
Flake tobaccos are wonderful but any one may be different from the next. FVF isn't exactly a learner product. :-) It's one of the worst flakes to twist or roll and stuff into a pipe; it's also hard to light unless it's quite dry.

The 2013 Moo Flake Scale

Bend a flake in half and if it:

1. bends - too moist
2. fractures a bit and frays without snapping - probly just right
3. snaps - too dry

FVF likes to be around 2.7 on the Moo Scale. Rough it up pretty good and definitely do not cram and jam because, as quickly as it warms up, it will expand quite a bit. Fill easy, tamp easy, rub out hard, light hard.
Never saw the Moo Flake Scale before, but I will concur!
[Reply]
Page 43 of 54
« First < 33414243 444553 > Last »
Up