Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Oliva serie V diadema 'Den Bosch' limited edition
Don Fernando 08:00 AM 09-28-2010
I can imagine that some of you might think "what the hell is Den Bosch and why is there a limited edition cigar for that Den Bosch thing" but let me explain. Den Bosch aka 'S Hertogenbosch is a city in the south of the Netherlands and it's the place where the first European Oliva Cigar Lounge is located (a new one will be opened in Berlin on October 31, 2010). The shop is owned by the same owner as The Longfiller Company, the European distributer for Oliva, and that's why there is a limited edition Oliva V Diadema 'Den Bosch'. This is an extremely limited release cigar, only 500 cigars, 50 boxes of 10 in a 7x48 size, different than the diadema's you'll find in the Oliva samplers. The boxes are sold exclusively in the Oliva Cigar Lounge in Den Bosch. The release party, with Brian Shapiro and Dave Wagner from Oliva, was last week and I can only imagine that there are just a few boxes left. The price of a box is € 85.00, which makes a single cigar € 8.50

The wrapper is dark, oily and shiny, it looks great. The cigar has a strong horse stable smell and a good construction. What strikes me is that the cigar doesn't have an extra band like most limited editions have. The predraw is great and I taste raisin.

I taste some earthy flavors and wood. No pepper like I expected from an Oliva V. This cigar is even mild sweet and I think I taste some nuts too. The feeling in my mouth is quite dry. The sweetness slowly grows in strength. A few puffs later the cigar finally gets the well known Oliva V spice and the nut flavor gets stronger too. After an inch this cigar is like I expected, the classic Oliva V combo of herbs, with pepper, spicy and mild sweet. I taste a nutty aftertaste.

Halfway the pepper fades away a bit and I still taste spicy herbs with nuts and an earthy flavor. In the aftertaste I discover some chocolate. After two thirds I taste sweet herbs with some macadamia nuts. The chocolate has gone. At the end I get a strong earthy flavor.

The smoke time of this cigar is an hour and thirty-five minutes. The draw was great and the burn was phenomenal. Straight as an arrow and slow. The smoke is good, a decent amount and thick although it started out thin. The reasonable dark ash isn't firm, it dropped on my shirt twice. This cigar is full flavored and full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? I got myself a box before they are gone. This is a limited production, so when my box is empty I won't be able to get them anymore.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 9 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
BigAsh 08:07 AM 09-28-2010
how do you say "ummmmmmmmm" in Dutch?....Sweet review Ferdie!
[Reply]
neoflex 08:09 AM 09-28-2010
Nice review Ferdie. Stick looks and sounds awesome! Than again it's an Oliva V so how bad could it possibly have been?
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 08:49 AM 09-28-2010
I've been waiting for this review and it didn't disappoint!!! Sounds like a great stick Ferdie.
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:50 AM 09-28-2010
Nice review! I wish Oliva would make diademas regular production.
[Reply]
G G 10:33 AM 09-28-2010
Nice:-)
[Reply]
GHC_Hambone 10:50 AM 09-28-2010
That looks like a shape I would enjoy, and its a V so its gotta be good. Thanks for sharing!
[Reply]
STEVE S 01:38 PM 09-28-2010
Again, a very nice review, the Oliva V's are great cigars. Thanks for sharing.
[Reply]
Up