Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Box-pressed woes
shibby4781 04:39 PM 09-25-2012
I don't know I'm just not liking box-pressed cigars. They don't feel right in the hand and they throw me off when I puff on them. Some of them taste good and are possibly great but the shape kills the experience for me. Any one else have these feelings?
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:42 PM 09-25-2012
Nope...I enjoy a box press. :-)
[Reply]
Bleez 04:49 PM 09-25-2012
:-) 601 Blue Box Press
[Reply]
joeobx 04:51 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Bleez:
:-) 601 Blue Box Press
:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 05:03 PM 09-25-2012
:-) Dont like 'em? Dont smoke 'em. Problem solved. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 05:11 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by shibby4781:
I don't know I'm just not liking box-pressed cigars. They don't feel right in the hand and they throw me off when I puff on them. Some of them taste good and are possibly great but the shape kills the experience for me. Any one else have these feelings?
Originally Posted by bobarian:
:-) Dont like 'em? Dont smoke 'em. Problem solved. :-)
I will smoke one on occasion but I'm with the OP on this. Generally speaking, I don't care for box press. Especially the intentional ones. (Padron 64 & 26 are the exception. For that quality, they could be triangles. :-))
[Reply]
Big Bert 05:21 PM 09-25-2012
Oooooooh triangle smokes ... Someone needs to do that ASAP :-) peter that's an awesome idea it would be a nice rare and odd shape...

Keith, I actually enjoy a nice box press. I had nothing but good experiences with them but like Peter says if the quality is good I could care less about the shape :-)
[Reply]
Dunkel 05:23 PM 09-25-2012
The only box press I didn't like because of the shape was the Rocky Patel I-Press. Kinda felt like I was smoking a lego or block of wood.
[Reply]
bobarian 05:23 PM 09-25-2012
Triangle presses have been done several times in the past. Dont recall the names, but I know there was also a triangle tubo! :-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 05:26 PM 09-25-2012
I have to say just the opposite... I feel a good box pressed cigar speaks to the construction of the tobacco rolled within... If it can be pressed square and maintains a good draw with a good volume of smoke, then the cigar was rolled with superiority...

I do notice, however, that some box presses do not draw well, and do not have the smoke output i desire... I equate this to being from poor rolling or from a poor manufacturer...

I have to agree with the rest... if Box pressed isn't your preference, so be it... but don't turn away from box pressed cigars just because of their shape... some, like the wonderfully delicious and indulgent 601 blue, only come in box press and are nearly unanimously considered a fantastic cigar...

I'll offer one other solution... you can always send your box presses to me... :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:32 PM 09-25-2012
Triangle sticks...Alec Bradley Trilogy is one that comes to mind.
[Reply]
equetefue 06:01 PM 09-25-2012
I personally like box pressed
[Reply]
icehog3 06:08 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Triangle presses have been done several times in the past. Dont recall the names, but I know there was also a triangle tubo! :-)
Thought it was Helix, but I can't remember for sure.

Based on my preference for cabs, I prefer a round cigar over a box press too, but won't turn down a cigar soley for that reason (obviously, most cigars don't come in cabs or SLBs).
[Reply]
T.G 06:08 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Big Bert:
Oooooooh triangle smokes ... Someone needs to do that ASAP :-) peter that's an awesome idea it would be a nice rare and odd shape...
The first person to do this was Alan Ruben (Alec Bradley cigars) about 10 years ago with the Trilogy line. Gimicky as heck and sometimes they had horrible burn problems. Ultimately he stopped doing it because it was very difficult to press them without damaging the wrapper leaf.

The Trilogy line was eventually re-released without the tri-press, and no one has done the tri-press since that I'm aware of.
[Reply]
icehog3 06:11 PM 09-25-2012
Trology! I was thinking "Triad" as my second thought, but I believe that was it, Adam.
[Reply]
Big Bert 06:26 PM 09-25-2012
That's awesome it would be nice to see one ... Google here i come :-)
[Reply]
SpruceBruce 08:03 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I will smoke one on occasion but I'm with the OP on this. Generally speaking, I don't care for box press. Especially the intentional ones. (Padron 64 & 26 are the exception. For that quality, they could be triangles. :-))

:-)
Agree here. I never seem to get a good burn with box press. To each his own, though. :-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 08:08 PM 09-25-2012
What box presses... specifically.... do you guys not like? Aside from one or two issues with one or 2 lines I love box presses... from the Nica Libre to the scrumptious 601 blue... :-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 08:09 PM 09-25-2012
The vice press I had burned alittle jagged... but beyond that I still enjoyed the cigar... and that was only 1 out of the 2 box presses I have had any issues with at all...
[Reply]
Justinphilly 08:14 PM 09-25-2012
Ill pm you my address.. Just send me all of the box pressed stogies you don't want. LOL!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up