Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Paul Garmirian talks trash about younger cigar makers
Cigar Hunter 10:19 AM 09-17-2012
http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/17/ci...rarian-part-1/
“There’s a magazine article that came out two weeks ago,” Garmirian explained, “that had all the, I call them ‘The Looney Club.’ All the loonies. You know: Tatuaje, Drew Estate, Don Giolito [from Illusione Cigars]. All these — This is crazy. Who are these people? [It’s] hip-hop, where they have bastardized cigar smoking to a level of being a la vogue, being cool.”

[Reply]
dave 10:38 AM 09-17-2012
Wow. I figured that PG was the loony one....selling mediocre cigars for $15.....but you know what? Maybe I need to rethink...maybe he's the genius. If Pete, Dion, JD (and other energetic young cigar makers) created crappier cigars and upped the MSRP by a 5-spot or so...maybe he wouldn't think them so loony.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 10:40 AM 09-17-2012
Eh... it's all about customer service. He may be super knowledgeable, and I'm sure that stands for his staff and son as well. That being said, his staff and son both insisted that the bundles with mold on them were actually plume. Ha. I didn't go back after that instance.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:42 AM 09-17-2012
I tend to ignore what most bloggers have to say. Especially when all they do is drop in and post a link. Reputation and respect is earned over time and after getting to know someone. Just because someone has a blog doesn't make them any more knowledgeable or respected.
[Reply]
BigJPinDC 10:43 AM 09-17-2012
Interesting read, comes accross poorly IMO, probably has increased sales because of the exposure to premium cigars in general those other loons are driving but at his age and experience he can say whatever he wants.

I am not a fan of PG cigars, but to be fair I am not a fan of any dominican cigar.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:47 AM 09-17-2012
I have a couple PG cigars in my humidor. Think I'll pitch them now.
[Reply]
BHalbrooks 10:47 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I tend to ignore what most bloggers have to say. Especially when all they do is drop in and post a link. Reputation and respect is earned over time and after getting to know someone. Just because someone has a blog doesn't make them any more knowledgeable or respected.
:-)

He sounds like an elitist, and I hate elitist jerks.
[Reply]
irratebass 10:57 AM 09-17-2012
I had a PG this weekend, I was not impressed.
[Reply]
68TriShield 11:08 AM 09-17-2012
Much too mild and tasteless for me.

But he can say whatever he wishes to.
[Reply]
Bill86 11:17 AM 09-17-2012
The "looney club"? Boy he is a silly goose.
[Reply]
kydsid 11:33 AM 09-17-2012
Bloggers and columnists are a lot alike in this instance. Bad form and disrespectful in my book. Won't know who's opinion is right since I won't click.
[Reply]
dave 11:35 AM 09-17-2012
pot, meet kettle....talk about loony.....I just now got around to reading the whole 'article'. PG (and the 'writer') is operating on a different plane of reality than I am. I guess after I've been smoking cigars for 52 years I'll finally be 'entitled' to understand wtf he's talking about. Love how the 'writer' tries to describe how good the PG cigar is by saying what it isn't. ....it tastes like air and doesn't TOTALLY suck.......
[Reply]
357 11:49 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by dave:
pot, meet kettle....talk about loony.....I just now got around to reading the whole 'article'. PG (and the 'writer') is operating on a different plane of reality than I am. I guess after I've been smoking cigars for 52 years I'll finally be 'entitled' to understand wtf he's talking about. Love how the 'writer' tries to describe how good the PG cigar is by saying what it isn't. ....it tastes like air and doesn't TOTALLY suck.......
I agree. Really piled on the compliments eh?
[Reply]
kuzi16 11:57 AM 09-17-2012
i feel that he makes a point. of course, it came across very harsh.

he has an idea of what he thinks a cigar "should be".
he makes that cigar. he does have a point that many of the newer makers are all about hype. that hype is independent of the cigars themselves.
nobody on this forum, or any other forum, can tell me that Drew Estates does not advertise in a very specific way to attract the younger newer smoker. the same goes with Viaje, Tatuaje, and others mentioned. i guess he finds that hype annoying.

there is nothing wrong with having a targeted marketing plan to the younger smoker.
Paul Garmirian clearly is not marketing to the young crowd (or any crowd for that matter). he seems to look at cigars as high end luxury goods. it is anything but hype to him. it is all about subtle luxury.

this is why he has his own company. he is doing it his way. if people like his cigars, good for him. if they dont, oh well.

i would love to try one just to try them. I tend to like milder blends as of late. maybe i can see what he is talking about. its a very different cigar philosophy than what is in style in the cigar world right now.

edit: I am a big fan of DE, DPG, and many other of what he is against but i am not willing to discount a cigar because the owner of a company doesnt like what i like in a cigar.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:14 PM 09-17-2012
I've had a few PG Maduros and really enjoyed them...the wallet, not so much.
[Reply]
Ogre 02:20 PM 09-17-2012
Well put!!
[Reply]
oooo35980 02:32 PM 09-17-2012
So they are good because he blends them not to be salty, acidic, acrid etc? That's well and good but I think more is required of a good cigar than not tasting nasty. I might have to seek some of these out and see what they are like.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:34 PM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
I might have to seek some of these out and see what they are like.
If you can beat my garbageman to my curb this afternoon, there are 3 of them there.
[Reply]
oooo35980 02:36 PM 09-17-2012
They can't be that bad...
[Reply]
68TriShield 02:45 PM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by kuzi16:
i would love to try one just to try them.
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
I might have to seek some of these out and see what they are like.
Both of you should,I'd like to hear your thoughts.The last one I smoked was severely under filled,that pretty much ended it for me.

You can get his number online,chances are you'll speak to him or his son.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up