Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>New Site from the makers of CigarFriendly.us
sboyajian 09:54 AM 12-14-2010
(Disclaimer: This post has been approved by The ToE.. Thanks for your support guys!)

Hey everyone, first I want to apologize for not being around much (read, at all). I started a new job back in June, was spending a lot of my spare time with my family.. Was still on twitter, but kind of detoxed from all of the forums for a bit.

I know a lot of you guys use CigarFriendly.us (I see the links from Google Analytics) and have made it a great success, so I wanted to share with you my newest project: YourCigarRatings.com.

Last year after Cigar Aficionado released their top 25, there was a lot of disappointment going around on the boards and on twitter. itsme_timd approached me about putting together a new site for consumer based ratings. We got the domain and did some brain storming, and the new site was born.

I'm sure many of you remember the old site that Caputo destroyed when he took over half the cigar websites, Top 25 Cigar. This is a newer, easier to use version with a better rating system and a lot more features that are coming soon (including a personal cigar journal, tying brands back into CigarFriendly.us to find retailers who carry them, and a lot more).

On a side note, I know many of you are like me and are fairly disappointed in the quality of cigar magazines out there. We are launching a new magazine in January, the first edition will actually be a free online version (thecigarnetwork.com). We are still looking for people who want to write articles or even do artwork for it, so if you are interested, please let me know either here or through email (stephen@cigarfriendly.us).

As always, happy smoking, and I promise, for the next week or two I may be spotty in coming back as I'm making the final push to get the mag finished, however I promise as stuff calms down, I will be back on a more permanent basis.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 10:23 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by sboyajian:
spending a lot of my spare time with my family
How dare you! :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:26 AM 12-14-2010
I love the site. It is super easy to do reviews.
[Reply]
sboyajian 10:57 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by Doctorossi:
How dare you! :-)
I know.. I know.. Not sure what came over me. :-)
[Reply]
OHRD 02:56 PM 12-14-2010
Bump on this one - the site is HIGHLY addictive, beware! And the new magazine is going to be a lot of fun! Great stuff Stephen, thanks!
[Reply]
Darrell 03:01 PM 12-14-2010
Great job, man.

I have a suggestion!

Rather than make people register, you might consider adding a "CONNECT WITH FACEBOOK" button that you see on many websites.

That would allow you the opportunity to get your name out on Facebook as well with an application.
[Reply]
Bill86 03:04 PM 12-14-2010
Interesting site. I'll bookmark it and as it traffics more reviews I'll probably visit it regularly.
[Reply]
bscottskangum 03:10 PM 12-14-2010
I think this could really be an awesome site....if....people are willing to contribute and not just sit and watch. But that is true of anything that is user-content driven.
[Reply]
sboyajian 07:16 PM 12-14-2010
So far there is a lot of participation.. we've got over 530 ratings in a little over 2 weeks of being released.. picking up very quickly.

I like the idea of adding the Facebook sign in. I originally looked into it, however at the time I did there was very little information as it was just released (back on CigarFriendly.us). I will revisit this now.
[Reply]
forgop 07:22 PM 12-14-2010
Cool-I'll have to check it out...I hate having to sneak a peek at the azzh@t site occasionally for a review on something I can't find anywhere else.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 07:22 PM 12-14-2010
YOu have no idea how excited I am over this. I used top25 back when I was first getting into cigars, and it helped me SO MUCH. Now since it went the way of the dodo, I've really been missing a good review site.

As soon as I get to sitting down and smoking cigars, I'll post some reviews.
[Reply]
sboyajian 07:07 PM 12-16-2010
Darrell, I was able to get it (most of it).. you can not log into the sites (CigarFriendly.us and YourCigarRatings.com) using the facebook login button on either site. Since facebook requires each site to be a separate app, you'd have to use it on both.

If you have an existing account, they will merge as long as they are using the same email address.

The only issue I'm having is you can not log out of either site if you are still logged into Facebook (it's a cookie issue). However, if you log out of Facebook, you can lot out of either without an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion!
[Reply]
Chingas 07:25 PM 12-16-2010
Dan, a 67 for the Slam. Geez:-)

Great site Brother. May have some interest helping out with the mag. We'll talk.
[Reply]
sboyajian 07:37 PM 12-16-2010
Originally Posted by sboyajian:
Darrell, I was able to get it (most of it).. you can NOW log into the sites (CigarFriendly.us and YourCigarRatings.com) using the facebook login button on either site. Since facebook requires each site to be a separate app, you'd have to use it on both.

If you have an existing account, they will merge as long as they are using the same email address.

The only issue I'm having is you can not log out of either site if you are still logged into Facebook (it's a cookie issue). However, if you log out of Facebook, you can lot out of either without an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Damn.. I meant you can NOW log into.. not "not".. I always say not instead of now..
[Reply]
Ogre 07:51 PM 12-16-2010
It has the potential of being a great resource.
[Reply]
polobear 08:37 AM 12-20-2010
Pretty decent site, although I seem to create errors when I use my gmail address (which includes a period in it). The format is first.last@gmail.com, and I got an ADODB error when I tried to create an account, so I connected it to my facebook, but when I went to update my profile it wouldn't take my changes until I used a different email account. I would have sent this directly to you at the site but couldn't find a way to contact you there.

Edit: it would be nice to be able to edit a review we write, as well.
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:39 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by Chingas:
Dan, a 67 for the Slam. Geez:-)

Great site Brother. May have some interest helping out with the mag. We'll talk.
Yeah, that cigar is BS. Dion charges you more just for a box press and it isn't anywhere near as good as the regular, cheaper one.
[Reply]
waffle 08:42 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Yeah, that cigar is BS. Dion charges you more just for a box press and it isn't anywhere near as good as the regular, cheaper one.
*cough* cigar snob *cough*:-):-)
[Reply]
Chingas 09:03 AM 12-20-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Thanks for saving me money Dan! I won't pick them up now. :-)
[Reply]
DMK 02:13 PM 12-20-2010
Looks good from the short time I looked into it.
I'll have more time over the holidays to play.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up