Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
All Cigar Discussion>cigars and health
dwoodward 06:09 PM 12-13-2010
I have always said that I will do what I want, it is my life and anything harmful I do to myself was always with the intention of enjoying life the way I wanted it to be. If you are already looking at smoking as harmful before you are even in the hobby then cigars are probably not for you.

However just so you can relax about it, I believe someone posted some statistics in the last thread on this subject that showed that the increased risks of certain cancers relating to cigar smoking was extremely low, even for the targeted smokers of 1-2 cigars a day. Some of us don't even smoke weekly, I haven't had a cigar in a month (mostly cuz its so f'ing cold out). For us that smoke maybe once a week we can rest assured that the risk is almost nothing.

That said, I would do it anyway just because its very relaxing and there is nothing better than a cigar with a friend.
[Reply]
Shamansmith 06:16 PM 12-13-2010
nuff siad. im in
[Reply]
OLS 06:21 PM 12-13-2010
hahahaha, Hoosier you really know how to work me. Shaman, you also shouldn't be too upset that I went
25% off on you. It is so peaceful here these days, some might say slow...I MIGHT say slow. But in that
environment, I READ things I oughtn't. So naturally, I SAY things I don't say very well. I'll leave it to others
to scare you straight, lol.

OH, and before I forget. YOU CAN give yourself lip cancer. Just leave the cigar in your mouth all the time
instead of holding it in your hand or an ashtray. And you can give yourself esophageal cancer by letting
too much juice go down your throat. This will also give you the nico-spins. But if you only add the cigar
to your face to puff it, you should be fine. It's the nicotine that gets ya, and the constant contact of the
cigar to wet tissue.
[Reply]
dwoodward 06:31 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
But if you only add the cigar
to your face to puff it, you should be fine. It's the nicotine that gets ya, and the constant contact of the
cigar to wet tissue.
Good advice.. Keep your lips dry, take nice puffs, don't inhale. And stick with it for your first cigar. The first one usually is the deal breaker, a lot of people smoke for 5 minutes and put the cigar down saying they "don't get it" or something similar. Usually about 15-20 minutes in on your first one, you will start to get a hint of what the fuss is about. I wont go into too much detail, but you will know when you start to taste it.

Also, make sure you visit a good tobacconist shop where they can give you some good advice. Make sure you get a good cigar for your 1st time, ask the shop owner questions, most are very knowledgeable and will help you find a great cigar that wont break the bank.

Lastly, pair the cigar with something sugary. Most newbie cigar smokers get very light headed, and sometimes nauseous from the unfamiliar nicotine rush. I suggest Lemon Lime soda. The sugar will help calm your stomach for your first few cigars til you build a tolerance. I prefer the cheap stuff they sell at Walmart lol.
[Reply]
Shamansmith 06:46 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
hahahaha, Shaman, you also shouldn't be too upset that I went 25% off on you. It is so peaceful here these days, some might say slow...I MIGHT say slow. But in that
environment, I READ things I oughtn't. So naturally, I SAY things I don't say very well. I'll leave it to others
to scare you straight, lol.
honestly i didn't even notice your post until you referenced it here (oops)
yet going back and reading it, it was not upsetting. i realize i sound like a dick sometimes in txt form. My jovial sarcasm just doesn't come through correctly i guess.
[Reply]
TheFool 06:48 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:

Also, make sure you visit a good tobacconist shop where they can give you some good advice. Make sure you get a good cigar for your 1st time, ask the shop owner questions, most are very knowledgeable and will help you find a great cigar that wont break the bank.

This This this this this. I'm in the same boat as the OP just turned 18 recently, don't really drink or party or any of that (not that into excess). For my 18th I wanted to do some stuff I wasn't allowed to do before, but didn't want to get a whole pack of cigarettes. I'd had an amazing night a couple months before smoking a mediocre cigar with a couple of by best friends so that's what I did for my birthday. Luckily my brothers room mate knows his stuff we went to a great little smoke shop and he gave me some advice. I ended up having a perfect afternoon smoking a Ashton Cabinet with my family. Since then I've had 3 cigars two were from a local liquor store that sells cigars as an after thought, one was from a member of this forum. The two from the local place were terrible. The other one was amazing. I cannot stress this enough go to somewhere that specializes in this type of thing. I will never go back to the local bar, the other cigar place is 3 hours away (where my brother lives), but it would be worth it every time to go there instead.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 07:00 PM 12-13-2010
oh yeah I forgot to mention "George Burns" smoke just 2 cigars a day and lived to be 100
[Reply]
TheStatsGuy 07:27 AM 12-14-2010
As promised I did indeed smoke last night in this threads honor, but I had 3 instead of 2....my bad!

I killed a T-52 Flying Pig, Oliva V Lancero and a Punch Julieta No. 2.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:21 AM 12-14-2010
Me too, Tim, I burned an Illusione Epernay PC.
[Reply]
TheStatsGuy 10:58 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Me too, Tim, I burned an Illusione Epernay PC.
And here I thought you couldn't lay off the Gurkhas! :-)

Don't forget we're filling the boat with ice cubes made from Stoli next year so when we drain the boat it will be a more enjoyable experience! :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 01:20 PM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by TheStatsGuy:
And here I thought you couldn't lay off the Gurkhas! :-)

Don't forget we're filling the boat with ice cubes made from Stoli next year so when we drain the boat it will be a more enjoyable experience! :-)
I will stay until it's empty for sure. :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up