Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
All Cigar Discussion>whats the most reliable lighter?
maninblack 06:09 AM 12-03-2010
I prefer a match but I also like my zippo. When it comes to a torch lighter, I go with my xikar or my ronson.
[Reply]
Lucky_Hippo 06:17 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by theoneandonly:
I have a Lotus light that I got from my father-in-law who really introduced me to how to slow down and truly enjoy a cigar. I also have a zippo with the butane insert for it that has been pretty reliable. Also my father-in-law has been using Xikar lighters and cutter for as long as I have known him (at least five years) and he hasn't had any problems with some that he has had for way longer then I have known him. Just remember you get what you pay for.
Sorry, gotta disagree on this one when it comes to butane torches. I've been smoking cigars for over 15 yrs now and have several 80 and 100 dollar torches that clog every other refill no matter how clean the butane or how precise the purge process is. They are mostly colibri name brand as well. However like many have mentioned here and in other threads, the 2 - 4 dollar ronson is one of the absolute most reliable lighters you can get as well as one of the cheapest. I have a Xikar that I also really enjoy, however the double flame goes through too much butane for my liking when I'm smoking smaller ring gauges.

Pick one up if you get the chance and give it a shot. You may be very surprised. :-)
[Reply]
sammyboy405 06:37 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by maninblack:
I prefer a match but I also like my zippo. When it comes to a torch lighter, I go with my xikar or my ronson.
Really? Now see Ive been told by Many people to Never use a Zippo style lighter with a Cigar. They said it Ruins the Flavor?

Ive always wanted to buy a zippo, but I keep getting warned away?
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:47 AM 12-03-2010
Either stick with disposable "BIC's" or go for a Dunhill-Davidoff-Dupont.
[Reply]
jonan 07:59 AM 12-03-2010
i absolutely LOVE my dupont line 2...had it for 3 years and it has never failed me...i use it at least two to three times a day and still on the original flint!! holds a TON of gas and go about 3 months before refilling...
[Reply]
Ogre 08:06 AM 12-03-2010
I have a Bugatti lighter, single flame. Pick it up on CI for $20. Can find cheap if looked for. Tough lighter with a two hole punch.
[Reply]
bishjd123 08:17 AM 12-03-2010
Ronson. A 3-4 dollar lighter with great reliability. I've been using my for over a year without any problems.
[Reply]
Bunker 08:35 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by bishjd123:
Ronson. A 3-4 dollar lighter with great reliability. I've been using my for over a year without any problems.
I buy them when I find them in Wallyworld. Best $3 you can spend.
[Reply]
captain53 08:56 AM 12-03-2010
Ronson Jet-Lite is the most reliable I have used and only $3 when you can find them at the Walmart which is getting very difficult to do, but last time they had a load I bought a dozen just in case I live a long time. Lots of nicer, fancier, more ergonomic, prettier, more expensive, larger flame, and on and on choices but none more reliable.

But - none of them are reliable without High Quality Fuel!!!! I have had best results with Vector and it is available in large cans at a reasonable price.
[Reply]
maninblack 11:08 AM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by sammyboy405:
Really? Now see Ive been told by Many people to Never use a Zippo style lighter with a Cigar. They said it Ruins the Flavor?

I've never noticed and I've lit Many cigars with them. I still prefer a match though.
[Reply]
ucla695 11:45 AM 12-03-2010
I love my Blazer PB-207. I can always depend on it! :-) YMMV
[Reply]
tsolomon 11:46 AM 12-03-2010
Been through a number of lighters and they all have their pros and cons, but I think that the 5x Vector fuel helps.

Here's how I see it.

Best lighter for the price, Ronson Jet Lite. The only downside is that it you can't see the fuel level. I wish they were easier to find, but I have two of them and they work great.

Best lighter to get repaired or replaced, Xikar. Service is fast and easy. I have two of them, but I just don't use them. One stopped working and I sent it back and it was quickly replaced. It worked for awhile and then stopped. The other is a dual flame that has worked for years and I use to carry it as a backup until I got the Ronsons.

Best lighter for fuel capacity and my favorite to use, Blazer PB-207. I'm on my third one. Limited warranty and service takes at least a month. I have returned at least two of them for service and they stopped working shortly after I got them back. Blazer seems to be into repairing rather than replacing.

I use to use a 3X fuel and switched to the Vector 5X and my current Blazer continues to work well. It has lasted longer than the first two, so I think most of my problems were from the fuel I was using. :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 11:48 AM 12-03-2010
I'm with everyone on the 5x fuel. Vector and Lava have worked well for me.
[Reply]
Mr B 11:55 AM 12-03-2010
Its definetly not a pocket lighter, but I got one of these a few months back and it works great. Not one single problem so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Iso-Tip-7978-E...1402287&sr=8-1
[Reply]
CasaDooley 11:57 AM 12-03-2010
My S.T. Dupont Xtend Has lit every single time I use it. I also trust my Xikar Nautilus (NXT), Blazers, Vectors, Nibos, Ronsons, dealextreme cheapie's and yes, even my Colibri's. I only use Vector or Lava 5x fuel with all my lighters, I always purge them and keep them clean.:-)
[Reply]
neoflex 12:03 PM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by sammyboy405:

You can still have the best of both worlds. You can get a Zippo with the Z-Plus insert. The Z-Plus is rock solid and you still have the convenience of a Zippo.
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 12:12 PM 12-03-2010
The blazer little buddy is a piece of crap. I suggest when you see it, you turn around and run the other way.
[Reply]
jbo57 12:43 PM 12-03-2010
I've had a Xicar for a few years. It's a double torch and I really like the warranty. I also have had one of those $2 Ronsons for a couple years and it's still working. I did have to clean my Xicar with a toothbrush the other day...now it works good again.
[Reply]
elderboy02 12:47 PM 12-03-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Be sure to use a quality fuel like 5x refined Vector. :-)

FWIW I use these, if one breaks(very rare) just toss it and grab another. Can't be beat, less than $2/each if you order more than 3 includes free shipping. :-)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4179
Those are what I use as well. If you want them order now. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to get them.
[Reply]
ir13 01:14 PM 12-03-2010
I love my Blazer CG-001.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up