Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>never had it before
elemental13 07:57 PM 12-13-2010
I had a illusione 88 and on the cut end of the cigar I got about half way through the cigar and it got real stiff to draw and a dark bitter sticky liquid was secreting out and made it so bitter I couldn't even get through half the smoke does anyone know what it is or had it happen to you
[Reply]
Bill86 07:58 PM 12-13-2010
From what I hear that is tar.....and you pretty much have to trash the stick.
[Reply]
quantim0 07:59 PM 12-13-2010
Tar probably. The only times I have had a cigar tar is in figurados. It sucks and sometimes can be remedied with a new cut of the head.
[Reply]
elemental13 08:04 PM 12-13-2010
Thats what I thought I trashed the stick it was the corona size but it just made me mad because it started out nice and earthy and flavorful with nice ash then bam bitter and super hard to draw
[Reply]
DaBear 08:37 PM 12-13-2010
make sure to purge the cigar next time you begin to notice that happening, itll clear out some of the tar and might help salvage the remainder of the smoke
[Reply]
Ratters 08:46 PM 12-13-2010
Just re-clip the end of the cigar, then blow out while holding the lighter in front if it for a nice flame show and it will be back to it's normal yummy goodness. I usually get it with narrow ring cigars, occasionally with bigger ones, but never had to trash a stick because of it.
[Reply]
Ismith75 09:49 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by Ratters:
Just re-clip the end of the cigar, then blow out while holding the lighter in front if it for a nice flame show and it will be back to it's normal yummy goodness. I usually get it with narrow ring cigars, occasionally with bigger ones, but never had to trash a stick because of it.
:-) And try smoking a little slower
[Reply]
jsd 10:46 PM 12-13-2010
I love Illusiones. Luckily I've never had any issues like that.
[Reply]
sikk50 11:12 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by Ratters:
:-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 11:54 PM 12-13-2010
Reclip and purge. If it's cold where you are, that also can help lead to tar forming.
[Reply]
KillerCelt 01:10 AM 12-14-2010
I'm glad I read this thread. A valuable learning experience as always. :-)
[Reply]
Chingas 02:27 AM 12-14-2010
These guys know what they're talking about.

I drink that ****...:-):-)

When it's happened to me, I simply do like they said above..., clip it again, purge and continue to enjoy!:-)
[Reply]
elemental13 06:27 AM 12-14-2010
Thanks for the info guys ill have to try that if it happens to me again. it was just weird when none of the guys in my b&m knew what it was even the employees so I figured screw it when it was getting very bitter and hard to draw, just trash it and get an air bender chisle which have always been consistant for me
[Reply]
guitar4001 07:42 PM 12-14-2010
easy fix - cut off the lighted end, then smoke the cigar in reverse.

*note: do not actually do this.
[Reply]
Cattani 09:43 AM 12-15-2010
:-)ol:
[Reply]
shilala 10:27 AM 12-15-2010
I make it habit to purge my cigars real often while I'm smoking, just because I like to smoke them "clean". I don't like the "dirty" flavors that build up in a big stick. I don't notice it so much in little ones, but I purge them a bit out of habit.
By purging along the way, it takes a little longer for the backend flavors to develop, but I like them more and I don't get any ashtray flavor.
Mind ya, that's just my preference, enjoy what you like how you like it. :-)

On the tar, you got your answers. Slow down, purge, and fix the cigar if you have to. Slowing down and not letting the cigar get hot is probably the best way to control it that I know of.
[Reply]
Skywalker 10:28 AM 12-15-2010
It could happen to any cigar!

Please do not give up on Illusione!

[Reply]
shilala 10:30 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
It could happen to any cigar!

Please do not give up on Illusione!
I gave up on them a couple years ago, Luke. :-)
[Reply]
Up