Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>an alternative to Corona in Orlando
floydpink 09:05 AM 12-11-2010
I've been wanting to try out the new restaurant, "Dragonfly", across the street from Corona and had a chance last night. Sat at the sushi bar and had some excellent rolls.

A few stores down is "Stogies", which is much smaller than Corona but has a full bar.

The humidor is very limited, but they said they are always adding.

A younger sales clerk followed me around the walk in humidor asking what I liked, felt like smoking, and that type of thing to the point I nearly felt uneasy, but realized he was being very enthusiastic about his job which is hard to find anymore.

Many of the favorites like Tat. Pepin, Fuente, and Padron are on hand for a little less than Corona per stick.

What I found here was a "neighborhood bar" type of feel and easily struck up a conversation with the bartender who asked me which of the waitresses I would like to bring me a free sample of the rums they were promoting.

The very nice blonde brought me my rum to go with my Guinness draft and spent about 15 minutes talking to me about redfishing in Mosquito Lagoon, a passion we both apparantly share. She reminded me a lot of Carrie Underwood.

I noticed a lot of tables that the bartender told me were regulars, at which I thought might be me in the future.

Many times when I am alone at a place I find myself staring at the game on tv or messing around with my iPhone, but this place didn't seem to let you do that and several people initiated conversation, which I suppose might not be good for someone who wants to be left alone.

So often at Corona, unless I am herfing with friends, it seems as though people are keeping to themselves for the most part, which isn't always a badthing either.

Overall a much more laid back atmosphere than Corona, which sometimes gets filled with pretentious types from the surrounding pretentious neighborhood called Dr. Phillips.

Again, not nearly the selection or cigar heaven feel of Corona, but certainly a place I will visit again.

Stogies sits in a multi-level shopping area called Via Dellagio that has some great new restaurants and upscale shops. It is directly across Sand Lake from Corona.
:-):-)
[Reply]
forgop 09:23 AM 12-11-2010
Originally Posted by floydpink:
I've been wanting to try out the new restaurant, "Dragonfly", across the street from Corona and had a chance last night. Sat at the sushi bar and had some excellent rolls.

A few stores down is "Stogies", which is much smaller than Corona but has a full bar.

The humidor is very limited, but they said they are always adding.

A younger sales clerk followed me around the walk in humidor asking what I liked, felt like smoking, and that type of thing to the point I nearly felt uneasy, but realized he was being very enthusiastic about his job which is hard to find anymore.

Many of the favorites like Tat. Pepin, Fuente, and Padron are on hand for a little less than Corona per stick.

What I found here was a "neighborhood bar" type of feel and easily struck up a conversation with the bartender who asked me which of the waitresses I would like to bring me a free sample of the rums they were promoting.

The very nice blonde brought me my rum to go with my Guinness draft and spent about 15 minutes talking to me about redfishing in Mosquito Lagoon, a passion we both apparantly share. She reminded me a lot of Carrie Underwood.

I noticed a lot of tables that the bartender told me were regulars, at which I thought might be me in the future.

Many times when I am alone at a place I find myself staring at the game on tv or messing around with my iPhone, but this place didn't seem to let you do that and several people initiated conversation, which I suppose might not be good for someone who wants to be left alone.

So often at Corona, unless I am herfing with friends, it seems as though people are keeping to themselves for the most part, which isn't always a badthing either.

Overall a much more laid back atmosphere than Corona, which sometimes gets filled with pretentious types from the surrounding pretentious neighborhood called Dr. Phillips.

Again, not nearly the selection or cigar heaven feel of Corona, but certainly a place I will visit again.

Stogies sits in a multi-level shopping area called Via Dellagio that has some great new restaurants and upscale shops. It is directly across Sand Lake from Corona.
:-):-)
Sounds like I'll have to check it out when I go back to Disney in a couple of years.
[Reply]
wayner123 09:30 AM 12-11-2010
Sounds like a nice place.

You should come North East a bit and try out the Corona in Heathrow/ Lake Mary. The crowd is a bit younger, but there are a good number of people there for the great music.
[Reply]
Ogre 01:08 PM 12-11-2010
The Heathrow store is the only one I have not been to yet. I actually like the downtown store over the Sand lake store.
[Reply]
pennjones 11:21 PM 12-11-2010
I think I'm going to go to the Sand Lake store next Monday. I might have to check this out too!
[Reply]
tobii3 08:36 AM 12-12-2010
Just got back from a week in Tampa last night...headed to Orlando on Wednesday...gonna have to check out both places Pete!
[Reply]
floydpink 04:32 PM 12-12-2010
Originally Posted by tobii3:
Just got back from a week in Tampa last night...headed to Orlando on Wednesday...gonna have to check out both places Pete!
Maybe I will catch up to you, lemme know....
[Reply]
tobii3 08:41 AM 12-21-2010
Whirlwind weekend...got home around 3 AM this morning...can you say ""DELAYED""??

Got to check out Stogies...gotta say, I like it!

Dumb luck of course, I happen to be there while the ladies are running around with bottles of Zacapa 23 for a tasting event....

:-)

Got to try the new San Lotano by AJ as well...complemented the multiple glasses of free rum quite well!!

This is now on the list of "must visit" places when going to WDW.
[Reply]
Cohiba007 09:16 AM 12-21-2010
Thanks for the heads up. I have yet to try dragonfly. Sounds like I will be hitting both up sometime this week. Thanks for the heads up.
[Reply]
Up