Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Aging by default
Boss Hogg 01:42 AM 03-31-2009
I need some advice or opinions? I would really like to hear from someone who actually has "hands on experience" in this matter. What I would like to know is... do Padrons 26/64 and Ashton VSG's age well? Now before everyone rolls their eyes, let me explain why I ask this. First of all I completely understand that these cigars are aged by the manufacturer and are incredible smokes to be smoked right out of the box. However, my problem is that I always over buy more than I can smoke "in a lifetime"... having said that, has anyone been aging these far past the manufacturers perfection (1,2,3,4,5+years)? If so, are these worth keeping around? Did they become bland or did you in fact say WOW!

I would love to hear "hands on experience" but, I would also prefer your opinions as well. Please do not compare to CC's.

Thank you :-)
[Reply]
shadow king 05:02 AM 03-31-2009
I have a 64 and 1 VSG in the humi that are from 2003. Never got the balls to smoke em. I recently bought a padron sampler so the one from 03 has its days numbered. I'll keep you posted on how it tastes....
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 08:24 AM 03-31-2009
Hey shadow king, thanks! Just what I was looking for. Don't rush it but i will definitely be interested to hear a review of your "extra" aged stogies :-)
[Reply]
Bax 09:12 AM 03-31-2009
They're always worth keeping around! The problem is that they might not be what they are at their peak. Maybe smoother, but not as strong.
[Reply]
md4958 09:22 AM 03-31-2009
Ive had other cigars that have several years of age on them (NCs) and they were fantastic... smooth and rich. I think for a cigar that has that much flavor to become bland would take 20+ years... A premium cigar ( like the Pardon anni) will most likely become smoother and more complex over time.

EDIT: I should have said that the lack of bite allows the complexity to come through... I would say that its always there, but "masked" by the bite
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 09:36 AM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by Bax:
They're always worth keeping around! The problem is that they might not be what they are at their peak. Maybe smoother, but not as strong.
This has been what I have heard. I have heard that some say after a year or so the padron's 26/64 go downhill and start losing there taste. However, I did find someone on another site that has had his Padron's for 10+ years and said that they are amazing. So I was just curious.

Originally Posted by md4958:
Ive had other cigars that have several years of age on them (NCs) and they were fantastic... smooth and rich. I think for a cigar that has that much flavor to become bland would take 20+ years... A premium cigar ( like the Pardon anni) will most likely become smoother and more complex over time.

EDIT: I should have said that the lack of bite allows the complexity to come through... I would say that its always there, but "masked" by the bite
This is pretty much my thinking as well. I don't think they'll last me 20+ years, but possibly 10+. Thank you all for your input. Any BOTL here ever experienced a Padron 26/64 or VSG from when they bought it in the 90's and smoked it now?
[Reply]
JJG 10:37 AM 03-31-2009
I was under the impression that the stronger cigars have the best chance of aging well. Opus X for example is the only NC I've ever heard of people aging for 10+ years. what would be strongest of the Padrons? the 26s? Those might be your best bet.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:06 AM 03-31-2009
There's nothing quite like an aged Padron. They are very good. As for the VSG's, I don't care for them until they have had a year or two under thier belt. Then they really shine, imo.
[Reply]
Throb 11:08 AM 03-31-2009
I love the 64 PANs and have several different sizes (Presidente, Imperials and Principe) in my vino for over 6 years. I find that the sticks have mellowed over the years. I have read in several places that these sticks were meant to be enjoyed fresh and I have to agree. If I am ever in a "cigar bar" and they have these, I pick up a few and and extra to smoke that night. Of course the one I smoke is usually to wet but the ones I take home and let rest (not age) are wonderful.

Don't get me wrong, they don't get worse with age...they just mellow out. I feel they don't get any more complex as CCs seem to do with age. Just my :-)
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 09:14 PM 03-31-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
I was under the impression that the stronger cigars have the best chance of aging well. Opus X for example is the only NC I've ever heard of people aging for 10+ years. what would be strongest of the Padrons? the 26s? Those might be your best bet.
Definitely have the Opus in there too. Yeah I kind of have a little bit of both ... maybe more on the 64 but who's counting :-)

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
There's nothing quite like an aged Padron. They are very good. As for the VSG's, I don't care for them until they have had a year or two under thier belt. Then they really shine, imo.
Thanks for your input. The Vsg's that I have probably won't goes as far as the padron. But its good to hear that after a couple more years they still "shine" ... that's probably the amount of time that they will last in my humi.

Originally Posted by Throb:
I love the 64 PANs and have several different sizes (Presidente, Imperials and Principe) in my vino for over 6 years. I find that the sticks have mellowed over the years. I have read in several places that these sticks were meant to be enjoyed fresh and I have to agree.

Don't get me wrong, they don't get worse with age...they just mellow out. I feel they don't get any more complex as CCs seem to do with age. Just my :-)
Thanks for your experience. I guess to someone a more "mellowed out" PAM 64 could be great or not so great. And to someone else a fresh kick to it may be better or not so better. That's why its hard to discuss these issues. When it comes to taste there are so many factors involved. Glad to hear of your long resting PAN 64's. Hope you continue to enjoy them :-) I will be down this road sooner or later with the PAM's 26/64's :-)
[Reply]
shadow king 02:40 AM 04-01-2009
Just got done with that 64 Imperial Natural from 2003. Simply put....WOW!!!! I wasn't expecting much from it from past experiences with aged NC's. But this bad boy simply blew me off my feet. Perfect draw and burn the whole way. Nice white ash and had a thick aromatic smoke.

The first 10 minutes it didn't have much. But then I got hit with a nice cinnamon flavor that did not go away the duration of the cigar. No pepper hints at all. Every now and then I would get a nice undertone of a buttery flavor. But definately the cinnamon was the star of this smoke.

This is without doubt the best cigar I've ever had in my 6 years of smoking. I've had limited experience with CC's, and have yet to have one do what this one did.

I hope that helps Boss Hogg. I am seriously thinking about buying a box of these puppies and letting them rest for at least 5 years. Problem is, I don't have the room right now nor the funds. :-) I hope you do the same with yours, you won't be disappointed my fellow BOTL.
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 04:18 PM 04-01-2009
Originally Posted by shadow king:
Just got done with that 64 Imperial Natural from 2003. Simply put....WOW!!!! I wasn't expecting much from it from past experiences with aged NC's. But this bad boy simply blew me off my feet. Perfect draw and burn the whole way. Nice white ash and had a thick aromatic smoke.

The first 10 minutes it didn't have much. But then I got hit with a nice cinnamon flavor that did not go away the duration of the cigar. No pepper hints at all. Every now and then I would get a nice undertone of a buttery flavor. But definately the cinnamon was the star of this smoke.

This is without doubt the best cigar I've ever had in my 6 years of smoking. I've had limited experience with CC's, and have yet to have one do what this one did.

I hope that helps Boss Hogg. I am seriously thinking about buying a box of these puppies and letting them rest for at least 5 years. Problem is, I don't have the room right now nor the funds. :-) I hope you do the same with yours, you won't be disappointed my fellow BOTL.
Shadow king... that is outstanding! I'm glad you got to experience your finely aged Padron. That is news that just makes my day. :-) :-)

Do you have more aging beyond this? So that was like a 10 year old NC :-)
Just like you, I have very little experience with CC's, but what a fresh breath of reassurance you have been to me. Thanks for you time and experience. I'll have to let you know how my experience is when I get there :-)
[Reply]
shadow king 08:05 PM 04-01-2009
I looked up on Pardon's website and their 64's are aged with 4 year old wrappers, so I guess it sorta made it a 10 yr old NC.

I have that VSG to smoke thats also 6 years old. It probably will meet its maker in the next month so I'll keep you posted on that one too.
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 03:57 PM 04-02-2009
I looked up on Pardon's website and their 64's are aged with 4 year old wrappers, so I guess it sorta made it a 10 yr old NC.

I have that VSG to smoke thats also 6 years old. It probably will meet its maker in the next month so I'll keep you posted on that one too.
Yeah for sure let me know how it is. Hope it is as tasty as you described your Padron :-)
[Reply]
MithShrike 04:44 PM 04-02-2009
One of our customers sent us a box of original release '64 PAN Exclusivos. We each smoked one about 5 months ago. It was incredible.
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 05:01 PM 04-02-2009
Originally Posted by MithShrike:
One of our customers sent us a box of original release '64 PAN Exclusivos. We each smoked one about 5 months ago. It was incredible.

I'm glad to hear of these good repports. Could you educate me on what original release is... year?
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 06:10 PM 04-06-2009
So I have an alternative question to ask on top of this topic. Would using a food saver (vacuum sealer) help or benefit the many extra boxes of the 64 padrons that I have? Has anyone had experience in this matter? If so what is the process (ie. steps) involved? If the cigars are going to be sitting in the humi for 5-10+ years anyways, would it be better to do this? Since Padrons are already aged... I'm wondering if this would help slow down the process and preserve them better... for a latter time.

Is there any difference in using the vacuum seal vs. leaving them as they are in the box? Also, does the vacuum sealer suck out the moisture and leave dry cigars in a sealed environment?

Thanks for any input. I have been reading about this on the internet and am very curious about this.
[Reply]
shadow king 08:50 PM 04-06-2009
Boss, I have never done this. I would be scared to try it on such an expensive smoke. I am not even a fan of storing them in dress box unless you have a really large humidor.

A vacuum would counterproduct the efforts of a humidor I would think? If you have muntiple boxes you could always just try it on one and see if there's a difference.

Something else to think about: I always tend to check in on my resting cigars every now and then to make sure everything is running smooth. If you have it sealed in a vacuum, you might not be able to spot a problem until they are ruined. That would be heartache...
[Reply]
Da Klugs 09:02 PM 04-06-2009
Depends on how you smoke and what you like. Smoked a 64 principe nat that was 5-6 years old the other day. It was quite good.. but you still can't nose it and it doesnt have the depth of flavors .. in contrast to that which you asked not be be mentioned. Better than fresh if you ask me. Great aftertaste and mouth flavors. Had a very old Padron last year that everyone thought was vintage cuban so... :-)
[Reply]
Boss Hogg 09:07 PM 04-06-2009
A vacuum would counterproduct the efforts of a humidor I would think? If you have muntiple boxes you could always just try it on one and see if there's a difference.

Something else to think about: I always tend to check in on my resting cigars every now and then to make sure everything is running smooth. If you have it sealed in a vacuum, you might not be able to spot a problem until they are ruined. That would be heartache...

This is true. The reason I was thinking of doing this is because I know at some point the Padrons (which are already aged four years) will go downhill at some point in time. The reason for the suggestion of the vacuum sealed box was to slow the extended aging process down. For ex. instead of five years in the humi (meaning a total of nine years) being the peak, the sealed box could then be saved and smoked at ten years in the humi (meaning a total of 14 years) at its peak. Hope that makes since :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up