Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Wrapper Issues
Riff Raff 09:31 AM 02-11-2010
I have a few sticks that I had won as part of being a reviewer for Smoke Magazine that the wrappers are just plain brittle. During the winter my RH in the humi is 61 - 62%. There are no leaks in the humi (did the light test). Other sticks are just fine. On the problem sticks, I cut the cap and the wrapper splits right by the head. I am using a brand new Palio to cut them with. Could these be just inferior sticks? Bad wrapper?

Any ideas?
[Reply]
Blueface 09:37 AM 02-11-2010
Sounds like those got underhumidified for some reason. Perhaps were already drying up when you got them..
Maybe I am spoiled but when a cigar does what you have described, there is no way I will enjoy it and so I chuck it and move on. I hate a brittle cigar. The taste and experience does not do it for me.
[Reply]
markem 09:37 AM 02-11-2010
some wrappers are thinner than others. Check out the thread on wetting your cigar for possibilities.
[Reply]
issues 09:39 AM 02-11-2010
I would guess the wrappers are a bit too dry.

I will sometimes wet the head of the cigar before cutting if it feels like it may splinter and it has worked for me.

Other than that I really don't know what the problem could be...

[Reply]
Mr B 09:51 AM 02-11-2010
I like to moisten the cap on any stick I am getting ready to have, and let it sit for a minute before cutting or punching. I do this this to every-one regardless of weather I think its brittle or not. I have not had a cap split in a long long time. Give it a try.
[Reply]
Riff Raff 11:07 AM 02-11-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
I like to moisten the cap on any stick I am getting ready to have, and let it sit for a minute before cutting or punching. I do this this to every-one regardless of weather I think its brittle or not. I have not had a cap split in a long long time. Give it a try.
I will thanks. I will also try the wetting as well. I am curious as how it will change the flavor profile.
[Reply]
Razorhog 11:56 AM 02-11-2010
What do you mean wetting?
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:21 PM 02-11-2010
Sounds like typical cameroon wrappers to me.
:-)
[Reply]
markem 12:27 PM 02-11-2010
Originally Posted by Razorhog:
What do you mean wetting?
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26872
[Reply]
Kreth 12:39 PM 02-11-2010
Here's what works for me in the dry winter air:
1. Wet the cap (I usually just put the uncut cigar in my mouth for a minute or two)
2. Put your cutter on the cigar as normal, but only close it enough to crease the wrapper slightly. Twist the cutter around the cigar like you would do with a pipe cutter. Usually a half turn will be fine to sever the cap.
3. Complete the cut while applying slight pressure towards the foot of the cigar. This prevents the dreaded ridge.
4. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Riff Raff 05:37 AM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Here's what works for me in the dry winter air:
1. Wet the cap (I usually just put the uncut cigar in my mouth for a minute or two)
2. Put your cutter on the cigar as normal, but only close it enough to crease the wrapper slightly. Twist the cutter around the cigar like you would do with a pipe cutter. Usually a half turn will be fine to sever the cap.
3. Complete the cut while applying slight pressure towards the foot of the cigar. This prevents the dreaded ridge.
4. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
That is great advice Jeff. Thanks. Like I said, it isn't on all the cigars just a few. They aren't cameroons, I am pretty sure. I think they were stored too dry prior to me getting them and there are no oils left in the wrappers.
[Reply]
Razorhog 07:31 AM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26872
Interesting read, thanks!
[Reply]
The Postman 06:40 PM 02-12-2010
+1!!
I have been doing the wetting thing on all my cigars, but nver did the twist before, it sounds like a great idea.
[Reply]
Up