Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 17 of 70
« First < 7151617 18192767 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
BeerAdvocate 07:55 PM 09-06-2010
Samual Smith Oatmeal Stout clone and I added chocolate
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 08:40 PM 09-06-2010
Racking the Imperial Stout to secondary (Bourbon/Oak aging) Friday and I will be brewing an American Light Lager for the wife. :-)
[Reply]
landhoney 08:41 AM 09-07-2010
English IPA is blowing off like crazy as we speak(type?). :-) Thames Valley yeast (which is supposedly Cigar City's 'house' strain), Millenium for bittering addition and the rest EKG for flavor and aroma additions (and will dry hope with EKG also).
[Reply]
ODLS1 08:49 PM 09-07-2010
Was going to brew a Belgian Dark Strong Ale but couldn't find any Trappist yeast around here. Ended up collaborating with the GF on a recipe and brewing - Spiced Sorghum Autumn Brown Ale. Kentucky Sweet Sorghum Syrup, Cinnamon Stick, Vanilla Bean, and Nutmeg. Smells awesome.
[Reply]
landhoney 08:43 AM 09-20-2010
Bottled more Oktoberfest, and my Pumpkin and Spice Steam Beer this weekend.

The 'Pumpkin Steam' as I call it is reaaaalllyyy good. Tasted it before bottling and realized it needed more spice (barely detectable). Also decided to add some lactose as it was pretty dry, the lactose increasing sweetness and creamy taste/mouthfeel which are obvious characteristics of pumpkin pie. So I added more spice and lacotse to the bottling bucket, and it tasted perfect. The spice was maybe a little strong, but it was not cold and carb'd, and the spice should settle down in a few weeks (when it's time to drink). :-) Pumpkin pie in a glass hopefully.

Brewed a standard hefe' as well, which is fermenting away on the cool side to minimize the banana (which wife does not enjoy).
[Reply]
ODLS1 09:24 AM 09-20-2010
Irish Red was brewed last weekend, Extra Stout brewing today.
[Reply]
Killian 10:44 AM 09-20-2010
Ive got a 2.5G experimental batch of Graf getting ready to go to secondary in a few days. I used Sterling and S-04. Should be interesting. I love a good cider in the fall.

(For those of you not familiar with HBT....Graf is a slightly hopped/malted cider.)
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 08:38 AM 10-01-2010
Kegged my pumpkin ale last night and racked my Chocolate Oatmeal Stout to Secondary and added 1 whole split vanilla bean
[Reply]
BlackDog 11:53 AM 10-13-2010
I'm going to brew a nut brown ale this weekend. Here's the recipe I plan to use:
1 oz Willamette 60 mins
1 oz Willamette 20 mins

Wyeast 1968

The BYO calulator says this should have an OG of 1.058, color of 26.5 srm, 27.5 ibu, and 5.2% abv.
[Reply]
bigswol2 02:23 PM 10-20-2010
I've got Peach wine in the secondary coming in at 11.6% A few more rackings and bulk aging to go.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 11:05 AM 10-23-2010
Im brewing a chocolate chili porter today. Made with chocolate, cayenne pepper and vanilla beans
[Reply]
BlackDog 07:25 PM 10-23-2010
I made a Belgian blonde ale this afternoon. I'll rack it onto raspberries and a split vanilla bean in a week or so. I hope to have it ready for Xmas. Should have probably made it a couple weeks ago to be sure, but I think it should be ready in time.

3.5 lbs light DME
3 lbs wheat DME
.5 lb flaked wheat
.5 lb crystal 10
.5 lb crystal 40
.25 lb caravienne
.25 lb table sugar
1.5 oz Willamette
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier - 1 liter starter pitched at 66 degrees F.
5.5 gallon boil

OG 1.062, SRM 5, IBU = 17, planned FG = 1.014, planned ABV = 6.3%
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 08:42 PM 10-24-2010
American Lager is still lagering away @35F.

Tech Support IIPA should be brewed up this weekend.
The name came to me after a pesky Oracle sales call a few weeks ago.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:38 AM 10-25-2010
I brewed up a DFH60 clone (parital mash) at yesterday's Brewherf, but I'm thinking this thing is going to be one all-powerful IPA. OG clocked in at 1.084 and fermentation started in about 6 hours--withOUT a starter! So we'll see what eventually happens here.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 06:18 PM 10-25-2010
Look what goodness showed up today!!!!
It's IIPA time!!

[Reply]
ODLS1 06:33 PM 10-25-2010
I need to get an order in to them asap. Waiting on them to release the pellets. I got 6lbs last year. I'll probably do the same this year.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 06:40 PM 10-25-2010
Can we do a sanitizer roundup? What are you guys using.

I started with a powder called one-step but I hated the powder I got it all over the place. Last night I used some Star-san and the amount of foaming drove me nuts. I know you don't need to rinse it but I hate the idea of sanitizer in my beer. Took me 4x longer to rinse growlers than it took to fill them.

Bottled a magnum filled pale ale, brewing up a porter for winter shortly.
[Reply]
SUOrangeGuy 07:03 PM 10-25-2010
Anybody homebrew using the 5 gallon soda kegs? I have a minifridge I've been thinking of turning into a kegerator. I think that could be fun and I understand bottling to be tedious.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 07:06 PM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by Salvelinus:
Can we do a sanitizer roundup? What are you guys using.

I started with a powder called one-step but I hated the powder I got it all over the place. Last night I used some Star-san and the amount of foaming drove me nuts. I know you don't need to rinse it but I hate the idea of sanitizer in my beer. Took me 4x longer to rinse growlers than it took to fill them.

Bottled a magnum filled pale ale, brewing up a porter for winter shortly.
Star-san is some awesome stuff.
Don't worry about the foam. I will let the left over liquid drip out using a carboy drier (or just drip dry bottles) and the foam usually stays in the carboy or whatever. I then rack right onto it and let the beer push the foam out. Never had an off taste.

That said, I do get all of the liquid out. I've heard that yeasties actually like munching on the foam.

Star-san rocks. All I use.
Besides steam heat for clean bottle sanitization.

Edit - Rinsing is actually counter-productive.
[Reply]
NickyTeen 10:44 PM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by SUOrangeGuy:
Anybody homebrew using the 5 gallon soda kegs? I have a minifridge I've been thinking of turning into a kegerator. I think that could be fun and I understand bottling to be tedious.
I converted a chest freezer to hold 4 corny kegs a Co2 bottle and reg and still have enough room for a case or so. I'm extremely busy so kegging was the way to go for me.

Currently in the fermentation chamber is a Belgian Quad, coffee chocolate stout and today brewed a red ale.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 70
« First < 7151617 18192767 > Last »
Up