Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Weatherstripping
Apoco 07:07 AM 05-12-2011
Hello all!

So, I got a new stand-up humidor that is almost exactly like HollyWoodQue's in every way. Once I got it hope and allowed it to make indentations into the carpet to get to level, I noticed a gap of about a quarter of an inch between the weatherstripping and the frame of the cabinet. I headed down to Ace Hardware and grabbed some weather stripping and replaced it, no big deal.

I've realized something, though. I replaced it with a weatherstripping that looks different. I started doing some research, wondering if all weatherstripping is equal or not. Turns out, most humidors make use of rubber weatherstripping (which seems really obvious in hindsight). I used a closed-cell foam weatherstripping rather than rubber. At the moment, the humidor seems to still be holding humidity steady, even though it only has empty boxes in it at the moment as I'm wanting to ensure no leaks, get it to proper seasoned level, etc.

PS - I'm not posting a picture. Since it is seasoning, I have nothing in it yet. And I know you bastids well enough to know that seasoning isn't an excuse to post an image of an empty humi :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Altra 07:24 AM 05-12-2011
I am using the closed cell foam type on my cabinet and so far it's been great. I think you will be fine.

My :-)

Grats on the humidor.

Shawn
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:35 AM 05-12-2011
The foam weatherstripping will work just fine. Congrats on your new humidor!
[Reply]
Apoco 07:51 AM 05-12-2011
Thanks Altra & CigarNut! I wasn't sure If I needed to just go ahead and replace it all with rubber ot not. Glad to hear that I don't need to redo that door :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Pat1075 10:38 PM 05-12-2011
I used closed cell to fix a sopranos humi a while back and it holds humidity just fine now
[Reply]
Up